What To Do When Confronting Bf?

georgerm

Guest Joey Kay

No, I don't want to argue, I am stressing the point, that Shooting an adult bigfoot, is not the same as threatening an infant gorilla.

The comparison should be: Shooting a BF, is like Shooting a Gorilla.

In fact, I am recalling that Mountain Gorillas in the Congo are unfortunately very easy to poach. This being due to their close proximity to humans. Of course this close proximity to humans is also evident in many of the Bigfoot sighting reports we recieve every year.

I certainly wouldn't want to try and grab an infant gorilla however.

i get what your saying homie, the way you worded your previous post made it look different. You shoulda just said that in the 1st place. I still think if you were to attack a grown BF, his friends/fam would defiantly back it for him, unless you had somthing visualually scary like a flamthrower or somthing.

Edited by Joey Kay

Admin

To be fair to all my statement should say :IF the creatures exist, then, a comparison of behavior of known primates MIGHT show similar or shared behaviors. Of course if the creatures are not real then nobody will ever shoot one, observe one, or be in a situation of being attacked by one and everything I have ever written down about Bigfoot would be of no use to anyone..... Chris B.

Now, I'm on board with ALL of that B)

(added quote)

Edited by masterbarber

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

No, I don't want to argue, I am stressing the point, that Shooting an adult bigfoot, is not the same as threatening an infant gorilla.

The comparison should be: Shooting a BF, is like Shooting a Gorilla.

In fact, I am recalling that Mountain Gorillas in the Congo are unfortunately very easy to poach. This being due to their close proximity to humans. Of course this close proximity to humans is also evident in many of the Bigfoot sighting reports we recieve every year.

I certainly wouldn't want to try and grab an infant gorilla however. But that scenario is different from shooting an adult gorilla.

I completely understand that Drew. I'm just of the opinion they'd be protective and you're of the opinion they wouldn't be. Fair enough. The comparison of the baby gorilla may seem different but when you think about it, even an adult Bigfoot, if they exist (disclaimer added to keep everyone happy), was/is someone's baby in the group......I agree that collecting the body would likely be similar to poaching gorillas sure, you'd need to fire off a few more shots to hopefully scare the rest away. Either way, I'd wanna be prepared for the worst. People disappear every year in the US wilderness. I'd hate to be a statistic especially if I had just collected the answer to the mystery of old Hairy.. Great discussion! Chris B.

HR, that opinion is based on known primate behavior.

Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and, in our present circumstance related to the BF mystery, one seems about as good as the other I reckon.

But I see your posit argued an awful lot and have asked for substantiation of it countless times by those who propone it outside of the *Ape Canyon* story. Nobody ever does.

Guest ChrisBFRPKY

Fair enough. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and, in our present circumstance related to the BF mystery, one seems about as good as the other I reckon.

But I see your posit argued an awful lot and have asked for substantiation of it countless times by those who propone it outside of the *Ape Canyon* story. Nobody ever does.

That's true of the known accounts the Ape Canyon is about the most famous retaliation behavior reported. Even at that Fred Beck later wrote that Hank had not hit the creature, just fired at it and missed. He had shot one of the creatures the morning after the attack. With that in mind I guess you could also take into account the Bauman story because the guys did shoot at the creature, same with The Ford guy at Boggy Creek, he got roughed up a bit but I don't know if it was a retaliation either as much as just a bad behavior on the part of old Hairy.

Chris B.

Guest rockinkt

I may be totally out of line - but I think we should omit the need for "qualifiers" when we use the words Sasquatch or Bigfoot in the context of this board.

It just seems a little pedantic to have to type "if they exist" or something equivalent every time we use the common name for an alleged creature that is at the centre of this phenomenon.

Why don't we all agree that such qualifiers are just understood by everybody and that for the sake of brevity and baby electrons - we take it for granted that that is what is meant.

However - I agree that when one starts attributing behavior, size, color, diet, and any other non-proven opinions or hypothesis regarding the a/n creature - it should be qualified as in "my opinion based on xyz.".

I don't care what you want to bring forward as squatch behavior - just make sure that your opinion is backed up by a decent argument and that you are willing to discuss the merit of your specific hypothesis.

If it is just a WAG - then just say so.

Edited by rockinkt

Chris stated his common sense opinion and what he would do if he had to shoot a BF. I hold the same opinion. If others want to stand around and see if the 600 lb BF brothers of your BF victim are going to retaliate, then do so. We know so little about BF, that finding data to predict their behavior when a family memeber is shot is a chore. We have a valid opinion in the form of a prediction with little available data to back it up, and this is why we call it an prediction rather than a fact. In my opinion, we probably have several scenarioes that may follow after a BF is downed, and the retaliation scenario is just one. The previous discussion was simply argumentive, and detracted from the thread's purpose.

Below is a story that took place about 70 miles south of my town, Coos Bay, Oregon. This story is the Ape Canyon story from southern Oregon. The miners may have shot at this BF, and it and possibly others retaiated. I have been to this area sevral time, and I would like to lead a team of researchers into this spooky canyon for a week of camping.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/stories/thompson.htm

Thompson's Flat, Sixes River, Oregon

Stan Sweet, a teacher in North Bend, Oregon wrote to ask if there were any recent reports around a place called Thompson Flat, on the Sixes River, on Oregon's south coast? This is a very remote spot, between Powers, Myrtle Point, and Sixes, Oregon.

According to local legend, the place was a mining town in the 1800s, but the inhabitants were terrorized by a "wildman."

Slowly the town's people left the remote site, not wanting to deal with the strange, hairy creature(s) living there. Until quite recently, an old prospector lived there. I had a chance to speak with him once and he described seeing a creature fitting the Bigfoot description on a number of occasions. Stan Sweet

[The Coos Bay Historical Society has a couple of documents containing information on the Bigfoot that terrorized the Thompson Flat area:

"In the old days, after all the miners had been run off by the wildman, one brave miner decided to stay. ...Some time later they found him at his sluce box with his head bashed in by a bloody rock, which was still lying nearby." At the time, the old miner was the only living soul in the area."

Guest TooRisky

When it happened to me, I held my ground and did not panic or make any kind of threatening movements, all of my movements were slow & deliberate.

That worked pretty well for me.

I feel the majority of people just stand there with their mouths open and think this cant be... They can have a camera in hand and it will stay at their side forgotten as they face the reality of the event, the shear size and girth of the species... and as fast as the sighting happens it ends... What a lot of skeptics and nay sayers don't realize is that this is a life changing event, you will never be the same after your first encounter be it either for the good or the bad....

Aggressive encounters are relatively few and far between and there has never in modern history been an encounter that ended in harm or death... But then again there have been hikers and back woodsmen that have gone missing with out a trace, so who knows...

My advise if face to face.. 1) back away slowly, speak in calm tones and slowly get out of the area 2) If the encounter seem aggressive and there are charges, pull you field pistol and shoot a round into the air as a warning shot and then refer to number 1 (What are you doing in the woods without a side arm... are you frigging crazy) 3) fight for your life if all else fails, you may get lucky and live through the ordeal (Not)

Don't let me scare you, I always have a side arm but not for Ol' Stinky, it is mainly for the crazy pink monkey types... Sasquatch is docile and will keep to its self almost 100% of the time... Go out and enjoy the beautiful forests set aside for you and your family to enjoy, don't tell scary stories of monsters and the like in the field as kids are worried about the dark as it is...

Have fun is the bottom line and enjoy the outdoors...

Guest TooRisky

It's not happened to me yet (I'm on the wrong continent for starters!) but I imagine my first reaction would be fear before the curiosity kicked in.

Paddy...I love your avitar... Being Irish/Scottish i had to copy and save it for the right moment...

This is a great topic. The responses have been great!

Anyone who has come face to face with one of these creatures, surely has a lot racing through their mind to justify about anything and to reverberate what was previously mentioned, it is a life changing event, even to those who've seen it from a distance.

I read in one post that they cannot see conforming the behavior of apes/gorillas to these creatures as a logic. With that I'd have to disagree. As a matter of fact their are plenty of books by primatologists which state the contrary, and that all primates (which humans are included in) have common behavior characteristics. There is no doubt that if sasquatch is proven, it would be a primate.

Perhaps the writer meant, all behaviors, and not so much an absolute. (For example, because a gorilla pant-hoots, doesn't mean a Squatch does, and if it does, it may not for the same reason. And to that I would agree as an absolute, who knows for certain what their behavior means exactly.)

However, how primates live, including ourselves, fit a unique pattern intrinsic to primates...period. Some of the literature I have read, while seemingly seemed mundane yielded some interesting facts, such as primates of a certain species will not become overtly aggressive to a primate of another species, when their territory is encroached, unless there is a specific threat. Snatching a juvenile or infant Squatch I think would definitely be considered a specific threat. (Of course humans seem to have lost that trait along the line) I believe as a generalization, make no threatening moves and you'll be okay, even standing your ground. But would raising a camera, let alone a firearm be considered a threat? What if you sneeze. (Squatchers with allergies beware, Bigfoot fur could be a source of allergens!) Who knows?

History is shown when a primate with superior technology moves in usually the primate with the lesser technology flees, for a bit. But eventually will come back, usually when you least expect it and usually not so docile.

The DNA similarities from bonobos to humans is of such a high percent, it's diligent to state that I'd put just about nothing past them, because their DNA I would dare say would be even a bit closer.

Guest TooRisky

Numero uno, don't know of anybody who has confronted BF or Sasquatch deliberately and got a good view, but I did station myself in a location I had learned might very well produce an encounter at night. When confronted, I initially dropped back to higher ground and a better view; I then sat still, stopped, looked, listened, smelled and took many deep breaths and said many prayers as I was approached :lol:

Also, when closed upon by the not-so-tall but hunched over Boss, I resorted to use of peripheral vision only. Funny, but the sasquatch-like creature seemed to use the same tact always keeping it's left shoulder perpindicular to me at close-range in the foreground.

Way back when I was an Army Ranger, we would be told that at night don't look directly at what you are looking at (The reason escapes me now) but look with a slight peripheral view or using your eyes do a "8" pattern which never worked for me... But I do agree whole heartedly with the sideways at night looking for a better view, this really works...

Way back when I was an Army Ranger, we would be told that at night don't look directly at what you are looking at (The reason escapes me now) but look with a slight peripheral view or using your eyes do a "8" pattern which never worked for me... But I do agree whole heartedly with the sideways at night looking for a better view, this really works...

I agree as I've used the technique before. And I'm not a Ranger or Airborne, I'm not that high-speed!

If BF holds it ground, growls, and appears he might attack, what about just sitting down and looking indirectly? Keep an indirect eye on what it is doing. Now if it decides to kidnap you, like 1 BF out of 100 might try, then what?

If it looks like it might attack then by sitting down you've now invited it to come get you. Think that would work with a chimp, or any animal ready to attack? I still go with back away slowly and talk softly with your hand on the sidearm ready to rock and roll.

What if it's a territorial thing and he wants you gone NOW. Then you sit down. Well now you've told him that you're not leaving. Might make him angrier.

• masterbarber locked this topic