"tree Knocks"

Guest PastorTim

It is not hard at all to find a green limb on a tree, snap it off and make a bat readily if one has the strength.

It is also not hard to carry it with you if thats something you do frequently.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Blcn41LZnJAC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=chimpanzee+breaks+tree&source=bl&ots=hugGhByrAK&sig=hrb-llswI-8eqfYrHkWuipkx7YI&hl=en#v=onepage&q=chimpanzee%20breaks%20tree&f=false

It depends on where you are. Also, we were going with the supposition the sasquatches are not normally seen carrying clubs sticks, etc. Additionally, a simple green limb is not young to resound that loud, it needs to be thick enough to be able to strike a tree hard without breaking and resonate far. The longer a limb is, the less sound you get, so it would have to be broken on both ends. Also, if there are limbs coming off the limb that is broken off, they will vibrate, further reducing the sound, especially if they are small and/or have leaves on them. Now consider that the BF is supposed to find this green limb, prepare it, and produce the knocks all within a couple of seconds of the researcher's knocks....

It depends on where you are. Also, we were going with the supposition the sasquatches are not normally seen carrying clubs sticks, etc.

It could be a night time hunting / stalking behavior. I've had a knock happen within 30 yards of me and I had been doing some calling, it was a very warm night and was only the one knock. It gave me the distinct feeling that what did it , was sending a message to ME. I've heard the beaver tail slaps and recorded those too, but there was no water involved with the sound itself. The beaver tail slaps can sound like a large rock hitting water, not the same.

It depends on where you are. Also, we were going with the supposition the sasquatches are not normally seen carrying clubs sticks, etc. Additionally, a simple green limb is not young to resound that loud, it needs to be thick enough to be able to strike a tree hard without breaking and resonate far. The longer a limb is, the less sound you get, so it would have to be broken on both ends. Also, if there are limbs coming off the limb that is broken off, they will vibrate, further reducing the sound, especially if they are small and/or have leaves on them. Now consider that the BF is supposed to find this green limb, prepare it, and produce the knocks all within a couple of seconds of the researcher's knocks....

Surveyor, I think you may want to obtain a baseball bat and some cushy gloves and go smack a tree....hard. The sound will be projected by the tree. Think drum and drumstick relationship. A good seasoned Louisville Slugger does produce a better sound than a random tree bough, but both will produce a very good knock.

As far as others posting about confusing gunshots, beaver tail slaps, rolling rocks, etc. with wood knocks, that would be a slim minority IMHO.

Surveyor, I think you may want to obtain a baseball bat and some cushy gloves and go smack a tree....hard. The sound will be projected by the tree. Think drum and drumstick relationship. A good seasoned Louisville Slugger does produce a better sound than a random tree bough, but both will produce a very good knock.

As far as others posting about confusing gunshots, beaver tail slaps, rolling rocks, etc. with wood knocks, that would be a slim minority IMHO.

I was referring to a sasquatch hitting a tree with a limb, not me or another researcher hitting a tree with one. My point was, unless a sasquatch carries a good, seasoned, thick limb around with him/her, it is unlikely one could randomly pick up a good one in seconds to respond to a researcher who has just called to it as often as they are reported to quickly respond to wood knocks with their own knocks.

I was referring to a sasquatch hitting a tree with a limb, not me or another researcher hitting a tree with one. My point was, unless a sasquatch carries a good, seasoned, thick limb around with him/her, it is unlikely one could randomly pick up a good one in seconds to respond to a researcher who has just called to it as often as they are reported to quickly respond to wood knocks with their own knocks.

I understand your point, I've wondered the same thing myself. Would you care to propose a theory about how these knocks were produced, that were heard by some of the witnesses here?

Right , so it would have to be carrying it around mostly at night when it is seen less, but more active in it's activities. BTW I have a recording of the loud hand clap sounds too. They occured near the camera trap I'd set near a river watching 3 catfish we'd caught and strung up for bait.

I understand your point, I've wondered the same thing myself. Would you care to propose a theory about how these knocks were produced, that were heard by some of the witnesses here?

I don't know, it's something I'd have to think about for a while, honestly. There are a lot of natural sources of wood knocking sounds in the forest, of course. I heard some this afternoon when I was walking around the property my wife and I recently bought. If I was not already familiar with woodland noises, that one would have gotten me. However, I listened closely, and I could hear something large slipping away. After sneaking over to the area, I saw where a deer had gotten up and had bumped one large horizontal sapling against a small tree. Apparently I had startled it because I stayed around too long. It did not run off, but sneaked off, and I could see it's tracks plainly.

Of course that was just one incident, and it obviously cannot explain knocks occurring in a pattern, etc. I always try to rule out natural things first, then human interference, etc. Once you do that, all you are left with is the obvious....

I wonder if anyone has seen a BF make wood knocks 1st hand. It has been proposed by some in this thread that they could do it by mouth. I know that many reports mention extremely loud screams or roars, which shows they have the capacity to make sounds that travel a long way (or are loud). I can make a sound similar to a wood knock with my mouth, so I wonder if a BF can, but much louder. I'm just thinking out loud, really, lol.

Guest Bigfoot Hunter

I have recently read a bunch of info on tree knocking since the debut of a certain show where a certain researcher and organization president made claims that he discovered tree knocking even though Jeff Meldrum documents the phenomena back to 1959. The problem is that this idea of "tree" knocking is not logical. I am not denying that something is responding, but I just find it foolish to think that a.) bigfoot always carries a club that sounds the same when smashed upon every tree, or b.) that bigfoot can always scramble to find that club in darkness within to find the perfect club seconds after hearing a researcher hit a tree. I just do not buy this tree knocking idea and there is no evidence of it except for a sound that sounds like a wood knock.

I think it is much more plausible that the knocking is either a type of clap or chest strike that can be easily seen in other primates. There are quite a few articles that I won't link to here, but it is much more logical for bigfoot behavior to replicate known primate behavior instead of illogical theory with no evidence. Just my opinion.

I have heard the knocking and I have a theory about that. What if it only "sounds" like tree knocking? What if whatever it is is a vocal call that just happens to sound like a knock? I started thinking about this as I listened to it one night and noticed the sounds were different in intensity. Some softer than others sort of like a dolphin makes but only 100 times deeper and louder. Just a theory though.

Guest Boolywooger

Leigh Culver states he had one doing clear "wood knocks" from behind a bush directly in front of he and some members of his team with no trees around while teaching a tracking class in Florida. If you accept this as true then apparently a tree is not a necessary item in producing a wood knock.

BFF Patron

I have heard the knocking and I have a theory about that. What if it only "sounds" like tree knocking? What if whatever it is is a vocal call that just happens to sound like a knock? I started thinking about this as I listened to it one night and noticed the sounds were different in intensity. Some softer than others sort of like a dolphin makes but only 100 times deeper and louder. Just a theory though.

The theory has been accepted as valid that BF has the capacity to make some type of popping sounds not requiring trees or even wood on wood.....sound recordists have been documenting this phenomenon for four or more years now at least. Culver seems to have only confirmed the obvious in this case.

I've got plenty of recordings of loud knocks, some are just too powerful to be made by the mouth like a tongue click or whatever. A deer can bump it's antlers on low limbs sometimes and that will make a bit of noise but it wont echo through the forest.

BFF Patron

Yes, my post didn't infer that tree knocks were not made but that the repertoire of BF sound production far exceeds a simplistic categorization that it (tree knocks) is all that it either produces or can produce (internally or externally) or better yet needs to produce. :ph34r:

Guest Bigfoot Hunter

The theory has been accepted as valid that BF has the capacity to make some type of popping sounds not requiring trees or even wood on wood.....sound recordists have been documenting this phenomenon for four or more years now at least. Culver seems to have only confirmed the obvious in this case.

Well, I am glad to hear than my theory was not the first time someone thought of that. Be hearing the sounds it was obvious that the sounds were not solely a stick tapping a tree.

Honestly though, what I experienced could have been kids or other pranksters simply knocking on trees and throwing rocks. That the most reasonable answer... except for once. One time I heard it I fired a shot into the soft ground (never into the air unless you want to get hit by a falling bullet) and I got 2 quick reply knocks back, sort of like a challenge or something. I think pranksters would have crapped their pants and ran for the hills but the woods had a dead silence after that. I KNOW how people react to gunfire and I didn't get that same response. Something to think about I guess.

I have had other encounters before. For instance on safari we were being stalked by a panther. The normally catch you from behind so you wear a mask on the back of your head to scare them off. That was freaky for sure, but to me the "silence" and "discrete noises" in the American wilderness seems to be more unsettling to me then any exotic jungle in a far-away land, or even more unsettling then being stalked in a field of battle. Just something about the wilderness of North America that makes it creepy in a way yet I wouldn't trade it for anyplace on earth.

PS. When do I stop being a "Booger" and become a member or at least something else? :huh:

Edited by Bigfoot Hunter

BFF Patron
PS. When do I stop being a "Booger" and become a member or at least something else? :huh:

Here is the rubric (I'll post it up over in the SC News thread too).

1-100 Booger

100-250 Wildman

250-500 Bukwas

500-750 Oh Mah

750-1000 Chiye-tanka

1000-2000 Yowie

2000-3000 Yeti

3000-4000 Skunk Ape

4000-5000 Bigfoot

5000+ Sasquatch

10k+ = Sasquatch + 10k club

All new statuses are bestowed upon the earliest post count. So when you get hit 100, you turn to a Wildman. So technically Booger is just from 1-99, Wildman from 100-249, etc.

I've got plenty of recordings of loud knocks, some are just too powerful to be made by the mouth like a tongue click or whatever. A deer can bump it's antlers on low limbs sometimes and that will make a bit of noise but it wont echo through the forest.

On a still night, that noise and many others most certainly will echo through the forest. I can vouch for that first hand