Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Wow, spectacular photos. You're blessed to be in such an amazing research area. The scenery and setting would be enough to be uplifting the entire expedition. Forget sasquatch!

Actually large mouth bass. 3 guys in 3 days of fishing and we caught over 100 fish. Weather was poor, rained a lot but the bite was on between storms...

I got out for the day yesterday, to the eastern end of our large research area, to get a look at what damage the forest fires had done there in the last month. I had last been there in June, before the fires started, and was dreading what I might find on this trip. I was very relieved to see that the majority of the valley had been spared, though the far eastern end of the drainage had a fire ignite low in the valley, which had burned over the ridge into the next drainage east, and in fact was still being mopped up by several small fire crews, one of whom I had a chance to talk to for a bit, and to thank for the dangerous work that they do. That fire had reached  another, which was much larger, and had started to the SE and climbed the back (east) side of the large mountain at the east end of the valley. I was able to follow the logging roads over to that side of the mountain, and was stunned by the vast burn on that side.

There was still wildlife in "our" valley, as I saw a number of deer, some grouse, and a lot of cattle in the 6 hours or so that I was there. Being at the eastern extreme of our research area, this region is on the rain shadow side of the Coast range, so is much drier than the western slopes that we normally visit, and much more at risk for these fires.

Here's a few shots from the day:

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0109.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As I said, norse, that's on the dry side of the Coast Range, about 2 hour's drive east of my home. From there, all the way to your area, is much the same, from the border to several hundred miles north, through the Okanogan, Cariboo and Chilcoton regions.

Gorgeous pictures of stunning vistas. Thank you all. 

I can't help but notice the difference between BC's terrain and mine. I am always under the thick canopy of trees where it is always dark. There is no view like the pictures of BC's above. It would be quite something to be able to take in that much land into view.

The bad news for me is the view is always limited by the density of vegetation and the canopy of trees. The good news is the darkness will work to my advantage now that I have a thermal.

BFF Patron

Those wanting a night vision scope that takes pictures and allows optional use of an IR illuminator but would rather spend $129 than close to $3000 for a similar FLIR scope should check this out on Amazon.  

Astromania Portable Digital Night Vision Monocular New Optics Records Video Image with Micro Sd Card

BC in the picture of the road after the deer picture, if you magnify the picture, on the right of the road up the hill a bit is a log vertical to the picture, just above that is a pile of rocks and what looks like a Bigfoot walking away. Probably just a snag or stump but interesting. Hard to put it to scale 

I believe I see the spot you're talking about , daveedoe, but that is just a "stumpsquatch". I was parked there for about 40 min., having a drink and a snack, and glassing the area the whole time. That is a partly burned stump. The big rock bluff can be accessed on the back side, via a very roundabout fire trail, and I've camped up there for the incredible view it gives. Also found very large cat tracks in 2" of fresh overnight snow!

• Upvote 1

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic