Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Went on a beautiful three mile (6 total) off trail hike today in the Eastern Sierras at about the 9,000 foot elevation along a ridge line that extends out to a point where I had an encounter a couple of years ago with a rock tossed at me after it let out a very loud snort, I sort of surprised it as it was sunbathing with the morning sun.. Saw several 17 inch tracks but were somewhat old, but were near a track way I came upon about three weeks ago of the same length with about a five foot stride. Came across two bear bedding's with scat next to one of them in the woods that was probably a few days old. The little bird was found in a bear track about 20 yards from the bear bedding with it's head missing. I was scouting to see if they were still up near the crest as they should be coming down to their winter area at the 7000 foot elevation on the south facing mountains where there are side canyons with creeks that feed into the main creek. My gut feeling tells me they have migrated to their winter spot already.

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 063.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 014.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 067.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 064.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 078.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 076.JPG

Ebbett's Pass 10-22-18 081.JPG

• Upvote 1

Admin

The bird without a head is weird...

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, gigantor said:

The bird without a head is weird...

I thought it was weird too! My theory on that is it was placed right in the middle of a bear track by a Sasquatch as a treat. There was a 17 inch track just a few inches away from the bird. The bear bedding's were just yards away in the woods. It wasn't a great track , but it was there. I find Bigfoot tracks all over that area due to the fine loose granite. Anything that walks is going to leave a track. 

1 hour ago, MindSquatch said:

I thought it was weird too! My theory on that is it was placed right in the middle of a bear track by a Sasquatch as a treat. There was a 17 inch track just a few inches away from the bird. The bear bedding's were just yards away in the woods. It wasn't a great track , but it was there. I find Bigfoot tracks all over that area due to the fine loose granite. Anything that walks is going to leave a track. 

17 inch  track near there bird! Second photo is where it was at just by that tree on top.

Capture Photo 10-22-18.PNG

Edited by MindSquatch
Added photo

On 10/20/2018 at 9:14 AM, Twist said:

I think he slammed his head into his desk in exasperation and want you to get search and rescue ready......I think it’s that millennium speak :D

Millennium speak? From a 55-year old? Yer funny. LOL

@NatFootI was referring to the fact that this guy wanted to know if he could return his bearspray if he didn't use it, and that it was too expensive. Sounds like a city-man who has absolutely zero outdoors knowledge, and is totally unprepared for anything outside the comfort zone of his glass and concrete eco-bubble. Those kinds can easily become statistics in the woods very quickly.

1 hour ago, cmknight said:

@NatFootI was referring to the fact that this guy wanted to know if he could return his bearspray if he didn't use it, and that it was too expensive. Sounds like a city-man who has absolutely zero outdoors knowledge, and is totally unprepared for anything outside the comfort zone of his glass and concrete eco-bubble. Those kinds can easily become statistics in the woods very quickly.

Got it. Completely agree. They had a black bear in their campground almost every night and they about walked up into a moose 20 yds off of the trail they were hiking one day.

He never bought the bear spray.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:58 PM, MindSquatch said:

17 inch  track near there bird! Second photo is where it was at just by that tree on top.

Capture Photo 10-22-18.PNG

Going on a hike tomorrow while the weather is nice out. Will be on the lookout for a missing hiker, Brad Dozier of Elk Grove CA. He has been missing since Saturday and does know the area and has survival skills. Can't imagine how someone with his experience can go missing. They haven't said if he had a gun, probably not. He dropped his daughter off at her college and drove up from the west side of the Sierra's and started his hike around 10 AM. I've been hiking this area since way back in the 80s and couldn't get lost if I'd tried. A fall over a cliff, cardiac arrest, or animal attack would be my guess. Hopefully he is found alive and well. Here's a bfro report from the area of some tracks.

http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=12818

P.S. in the bfro report it said they came across the tracks in the Fall in October. Well it's Fall and October!

Edited by MindSquatch
  • Upvote 1

Hiking out in a area near the cliffs where I had my encounter a couple years ago. I'm high enough to where I have a signal to send a photo while I'm out here. Just took this photo a couple minutes ago.

IMG_20181102_125259877.jpg

On 10/27/2018 at 11:13 AM, cmknight said:

Isn't there a program where you can return them?  I recall doing something like that in Jackson Wy when I found out I could not take it back on the plane with me.  However, 1 can was slightly used as it went off in our room when we were unloading/moving supplies around the room.  It is amazing how much power just a quick quirt of that stuff can do.  It was open all windows and evacuate as fast as possible to the bar for a few hours.

14 minutes ago, NCBFr said:

..........and evacuate as fast as possible to the bar for a few hours.

HAH! Since when did anyone need a blast of bear spray to do that. Although today, at my age, it probably WOULD take a blast of bear spray to get me to a bar. And I would more than likely end up there even though I no longer imbibe. As you found out I think bear spray can do that to a person ;) Heck, even  the bear would end up at one.............um..........see any there when you went?

Started my hike at ten this morning and went directly off trail for a total of 6 miles in the Eastern Sierra's. I was probably 5 air miles or so from the missing hiker which I will post a link where I can follow any updates or information. I was able to get somewhat of a feeling by being out there at the same time he started his hike and far from my vehicle on how he might of felt as the sun was getting lower. I feel that the missing hiker went way too far and didn't give himself enough time to get back to his vehicle before night from. I'm guessing he panicked as it started getting cold and raced to make up time. In doing so, there's a good chance he injured himself. Night time temperatures have been below 32 degrees. Today I was doing some research and wanted to stay out of the search area, but still kept an eye out for him. If they don't find him and the search is cancelled, I will go west of Burnside Lake and search west of there and do some zigzags to see if I can find some signs of him, don't think they would have searched that far east. 

https://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/missing-hiker-carson-pass-area-t87414.html

IMG_20181102_104118532_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181102_114052112_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181102_130559346_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181102_104445488.jpg

IMG_20181102_130648164.jpg

IMG_20181102_114011983_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181102_105218770_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181102_110406511.jpg

IMG_20181102_125259877-PANO.jpg

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure it's Coyote scat! Photo below is Black Bear scat from the same general area from a week or so ago. Haven't built up the nerve to go to an area about three miles away further below where I've come across what I believe is Bigfoot scat on a steep mountain side where they feed on acorns. It's another area where I've had sightings with many tracks.

IMG_20181022_132752204_HDR.jpg

Edited by MindSquatch

Fantastic country to hike in, MindSquatch. My region is coastal rainforest, and the brush is so thick that a few hundred yards off-trail can take an hour or two. That's why I drive several hours to the eastern slopes to get in the rainshadow, and country more like yours, whenever I get the chance. Oddly enough, though, there are far more sightings on the wet western slopes than on the eastern side of the local mountain ranges.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BC witness said:

Fantastic country to hike in, MindSquatch. My region is coastal rainforest, and the brush is so thick that a few hundred yards off-trail can take an hour or two. That's why I drive several hours to the eastern slopes to get in the rainshadow, and country more like yours, whenever I get the chance. Oddly enough, though, there are far more sightings on the wet western slopes than on the eastern side of the local mountain ranges.

Hi BC Witness, the northern coastal mountains are so beautiful, the lush greenery and all. It is nice not having all that brush to hike in. The west side of the Sierra's received a lot of moisture and is thicker with trees. The Eastside most likely has less Bigfoot's, just easier to spot on the east side. Your very fortunate to live where you do, would love to hike there.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic