Field trips 2.0

BC witness

39 minutes ago, jsydor said:

MindSquatch , is this the eastern sierras? Just beautiful. 

Yes! It was very clear today with the storm moving in. Forgot my camcorder in the vehicle and took the photos with my phone. 

20 hours ago, Gilly Bean said:

So I don't think a solo field trip is in my immediate cards afterall 

https://youtu.be/imfqQY_Z83k

Well don't give up so quickly. Remember, the odds of an encounter are slim to none. Millions of people go through there every year and come back out (granted 85% I'd guess stay close to the easy access points) And of the THOUSAND of encounter reports, I can't recall anyone who has been other than scared. If the Sasquatch wanted a witness dead, they'd be dead, but they'd also not file a sighting report...:) Just go out for a hike, within your limits, be prepared and pay attention. I recall backpacking through the Smokies late one Spring and wearing mostly shorts and a T-shirt. After 7 days, I hitchhiked out to Gatlinburg with icicles in my hair. Weather is the danger to be concerned about!

2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Well don't give up so quickly. Remember, the odds of an encounter are slim to none. Millions of people go through there every year and come back out (granted 85% I'd guess stay close to the easy access points) And of the THOUSAND of encounter reports, I can't recall anyone who has been other than scared. If the Sasquatch wanted a witness dead, they'd be dead, but they'd also not file a sighting report...:) Just go out for a hike, within your limits, be prepared and pay attention. I recall backpacking through the Smokies late one Spring and wearing mostly shorts and a T-shirt. After 7 days, I hitchhiked out to Gatlinburg with icicles in my hair. Weather is the danger to be concerned about!

Great point Kiwakwe, I believe BF is still unproven in part because of its avoidance of human interactions, at least in manners greater than a brief and casual experience.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Gilly Bean said:

GB, don't give up so easily. You Tube is an entertainment site that has click bait tags with mystery, fear, terror and they want you to subscribe.

Start out slow and cheap. Car camping. You do not need to do an epic solo hike through the wilderness. Many vehicles have seats that lay down fairly flat or a roomy cargo area. Sleep  in your vehicle. You have glass and steel around you ( no convertibles ). Have a 'car campsite'. Putter around camp. Stay off of your phone, read,  practice your photography, have a campfire into the evening and make s'mores. You do not need a fancy audio recorder. Use your phone/camera for audio day or night. Regardless of whether it is day or night, you will record audio and have a time stamp.

Do not go the 'group' approach. Limit of 2 people.

When you park, aim your vehicle in the 'exit' direction.

BFF Patron
On 12/16/2018 at 1:35 PM, Gilly Bean said:

https://youtu.be/imfqQY_Z83k

I have done nearly all of my field work solo.   I would never do it at night solo.  .   My methodology was find an active area from encounter reports,    start hiking the area looking for footprints to confirm it active,  and wait for BF to start interacting.     If older juveniles are in the area they will start to mess with you.    Adults seem to have sense enough to avoid humans at all possible.  My first direct encounter was accidental.    The ones I encountered were moving through and had no idea I was there.  Because their night vision is apparently so much better than ours,   day time field work at least levels the playing field as far as who can see who.   You could step on ones toes in the dark and never know they were there.    You do have a good point.   It there are aggressive and dangerous BF in an area,   I would avoid it solo.  There is one area in Washington State where the BF there are pretty nasty and have been known to intimidate humans.    Who knows,  it might have been shot or shot at and has a great hate for humans.   

• Thanks 1

I also do most of my work solo although I prefer having another person to share the experience with.  Being alone in the backcountry, particularly at night, is something many people are not comfortable with. If you are not, you need to trust your instincts, and bring someone else, or learn to develop the confidence being alone one step at a time.

Are there risks? Of course there are but with experience you can begin to manage those risks. Have a firearm, learn survival skills, have an exit plan, have backup resources for fire, water, and shelter, study normal night sounds in your geographic region so you know what to expect, take advantage of technology, bring something (PLB, satellite messenger) that can be used to call in the cavalry in the event of an emergency, etc. 

I've always believed that being out there alone will provide the greatest opportunity for an encounter as a sasquatch will feel the most at ease.   I'll settle for catching a glimpse but I want that sighting, or encounter, and will gladly put myself out on a high wire to get it. If that means an interaction with an aggressive sasquatch, so be it. 

• Upvote 1

Can't find the thread where poster shared images of what they considered "bigfoot structures."

I wonder if they would consider Senator Paul's image such:

• 2 weeks later...

Last day of 2018 hike in the Sierra's Mountains. Came across several large tracks covered with a trace of snow, nothing conclusive though. 

IMG_20181231_142808725_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181231_141451173_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181231_123829649.jpg

IMG_20181231_142224623.jpg

IMG_20181231_125826032.jpg

IMG_20181231_120715697.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

When I was hiking yesterday, I felt like I was being watched. I kept looking all around me when I came upon the first track. There's a track way that I recorded with my cam corder that goes up the mountain side just to the left of this side creek which I haven't uploaded yet. Anyways I posted one of those photos yesterday looking towards where I felt I was being watched. After zooming in on the photo, there appears to be what looks like a sasquatch standing behind a pine tree looking right at me, just like the one I captured on video back around the same time of year back in 2016 a few miles away. These Bigfoot's blend in so incredibly well. Here's the photo and a couple of zoomed in photo with different lighting. I can see what appears to be a bottom right leg along with his upper body and face. It was getting late on a overcast day with some light snow flurries. I was hesitant to post this knowing the clarity isn't all that great being the photo was taken with my smart phone, but here it is.

IMG_20181231_141446367_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 1

I took a short walk from our campfire site in the rainforest near Harrison Lake to explore the area under a rock overhang I could see not far away. There were no signs of anything taking shelter under the rockface, but it was interesting to explore.

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

• Thanks 1

BFF Patron
On 1/1/2019 at 3:24 PM, MindSquatch said:

When I was hiking yesterday, I felt like I was being watched. I kept looking all around me when I came upon the first track. There's a track way that I recorded with my cam corder that goes up the mountain side just to the left of this side creek which I haven't uploaded yet. Anyways I posted one of those photos yesterday looking towards where I felt I was being watched. After zooming in on the photo, there appears to be what looks like a sasquatch standing behind a pine tree looking right at me, just like the one I captured on video back around the same time of year back in 2016 a few miles away. These Bigfoot's blend in so incredibly well. Here's the photo and a couple of zoomed in photo with different lighting. I can see what appears to be a bottom right leg along with his upper body and face. It was getting late on a overcast day with some light snow flurries. I was hesitant to post this knowing the clarity isn't all that great being the photo was taken with my smart phone, but here it is.

I see what you are seeing but what looks to be legs does not correlate to the what looks like the head.     The legs seem  too small for what my brain is saying must be the head so something is out of whack.          Certainly something may be there.     If you are like me, the feeling of being watched is a good indicator that you are.    While doing so might not be a good idea, you could always move towards something suspicious and see if you can get the BF to move.   That got me growled at one time and the BF refused to move.      While cell phones are handy compared to a dedicated camera with some sort of zoom,   they take terrible pictures of subjects at any distance.       Tiny lens does not gather much light, no or limited ability to zoom,   and a very wide angle picture.    Perhaps with a dedicated camera you would have an much better image of the same subject?    I carry a little Cannon camera that zooms up to 30 X optically and goes to 40 X digitally.   It will power up quicker than I can get my cell phone into picture mode.     

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic