Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Thanks, ShadowBorn, I truly love living here in BC, and miss the mountains when I travel to the "flatlands" of the Prairies, but every place has it's own special beauty. I've been in the high desert country of eastern Wa., and NV., and the boreal forest of northern Alberta in Feb., at -20, and found them all to have a unique charm.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
16 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

BC

You always have some great places that you travel too.  Those are some great pictures that you take.  I wish we had mountains here in Michigan. Some of you people are lucky to be able to live  in some of he most beautiful places on earth. I am not saying that there are not some great places here in Michigan.  It is just that I have not found them yet. I think that this is what is great about looking for this creature. We get to see some of the greatest places on earth. 

While the mountains of the West may be pretty and good BF habitat,  they work to make BF even more elusive.    I think they use their superior strength and ability to manage difficult terrain to their advantage.    I have seen evidence that they go straight up inclines that would require us to use switchbacks.    My first footprint find was on a low mountain where the human trail was a series of switchbacks and a BF had been down to the water and went trucking straight up  the mountain in a 45 degree incline  and stepped on the trail margin.   I would have needed ropes to make the same climb.    Another place nearby I found where one had come down to the river down a 60% incline, leaving streaks of its toes.    It must have grabbed tree root hand holds well out of my reach when I gingerly climbed up to photograph the streaks.    They put those long arms to good use.          So perhaps flatter habitat puts us more on an equal footing to get close to them?   Who knows,  places like Michigan may give us a better shot at encounters.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

All filled up with turkey and pumpkin pie now, But I'll head out again tomorrow (CDN stat. holiday for Thanksgiving) to another local valley with nearby sighting reports.

BTW, on the first photo above, zoom in on the end of the lake, and you'll just make out the hotel and condos along the beach in Harrison Hot Springs.

The area between the village and the sighting I mentioned above has many reports of sightings, over the last few decades, some along the FSR, some in Sasquatch Park at the small lakes and campgrounds there, and some right on the outskirts of the village itself. This is the same area through which Sasquatch Country Adventures Tours runs their ATV trips .

I made a day trip to a quiet valley on the S side of the Fraser River, between Chillwack and Hope, where I had seen lots of deer and bear sign on a visit earlier this summer. I found the steep creek valley almost as quiet this visit, only encountering 1 couple on a side by side ATV, but there were numerous logging slash piles burning, leaving a blue haze in the air, and sometimes bits of ash falling around me. Only 1 pile of bear scat was seen, and no tracks of anything else in evidence. I stopped and glassed several areas, with nothing of interest except for the smouldering brush piles. The logging companies do these burns after several weeks of fall rains, so there's no danger of the fires spreading, but it is annoying to see.

Looking N towards the Fraser Valley

IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.d2f17f21d90dd49273681d2ed6ece79b.JPG

East view. Fire haze from below, and a clear cut at top centre that I reached 3 yrs ago via a road that is now washed out.

IMG_0230.thumb.JPG.145503a3c09d39ce242a57a7a85ae93d.JPG

Looking S towards the US border, with an unburned slash pile at the bottom left, and several burning on the horizon.

IMG_0227.thumb.JPG.2a830f8a46825e9a202ec7ba405a9dda.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
Admin

Looking for skunk apes in the gulf side this time..

IMG_20191107_105443874.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Funny, I leave for Sarasota from Oregon tomorrow morning. If you can make it up there, I recommend Myakka River State Park.

Happy hunting!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gigantor said:

Looking for skunk apes in the gulf side this time..

IMG_20191107_105443874.jpg

It is a dirty job but someone has to do it.

Jealous. My buddy sent me pics, he’s spending his winter down in Fl, feet kicked up at a bonfire, said it was damn near 90.   I sent him a pic back of my snow covered Backyard.   Scrapping ice and snow this morning to leave for work......

• Thanks 1

Like most Sasquatch's I prefer the cold even though I live in Texas and grew up here... btw, it's currently 29 degrees Fahrenheit here in the middle of Texas where I am, our first Cold Fronts started in October!  So much for the Global Warming, went from hot muggy summer straight to cold wet winter with one October Cold Front.  Hoping to move to Wyoming soon, it's one of the few states losing population every year and it's no major destination for the California Homeless Hords, most of them are settling in Texas now! lol... I lived in Florida for a few years, they turned a beautiful wilderness into strip malls and Walmarts in just a decade, I visited the area and it's unrecognizable now, mostly really old Northerner's moving there to die so they have to Bulldoze everything to make room for them...

16 hours ago, Twist said:

Jealous. My buddy sent me pics, he’s spending his winter down in Fl, feet kicked up at a bonfire, said it was damn near 90.   I sent him a pic back of my snow covered Backyard.   Scrapping ice and snow this morning to leave for work......

The older I get? The more that sounds appealing.

13 hours ago, norseman said:

The older I get? The more that sounds appealing.

Don't you speak such blasphemy.

We are jealous of you, in the other 49 states. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic