Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Ah so...  Our tamarack swamps look a lot different around here.  I had a picture from when I was teaching my kids what they were, but I can't find it.  I'll have to get some pics next time I'm up at our cabin for comparison.  I've only ever heard them called tamarack, I've never heard them called Western Larch.

41 minutes ago, JustCurious said:

Ah so...  Our tamarack swamps look a lot different around here.  I had a picture from when I was teaching my kids what they were, but I can't find it.  I'll have to get some pics next time I'm up at our cabin for comparison.  I've only ever heard them called tamarack, I've never heard them called Western Larch.

They are cousins albeit ours don’t grow in swamps.

https://www.mtpr.org/post/golden-islands-western-montana-forest

Great flight video Norse. Looked like you couldn't have gone much higher anyway or you would have been in the cloud cover.

Considering what you looked like I would imagine if a sasquatch were standing still it would be very hard to discern what you were looking at. Unless moving, stumps, bushes and bigfoot would all look pretty much the same. 

BFF Patron

10 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Great flight video Norse. Looked like you couldn't have gone much higher anyway or you would have been in the cloud cover.

Considering what you looked like I would imagine if a sasquatch were standing still it would be very hard to discern what you were looking at. Unless moving, stumps, bushes and bigfoot would all look pretty much the same. 

My one suspected bigfoot encounter flying my airplane was at about 300 feet (combination of vertical and lateral distance)   and movement was what caused me to see the subject.   I could not tell what it was other than it was brown,   moved around to the backside of some large trees when I flew past,  and was upright on two feet.    It had its back to me.        I circled but could not see it again.     It certainly could have been a human in brown hiding from me.    Because it moved opposite to stationary objects, was the reason I saw it in the first place.     That incident pretty much showed that searching from an airplane is not going to provide much information.  Anything stationary is just not going to be noticed.     The drone can be stopped so any movement of a subject would be a lot easier to see.    Movement rules out stumps.  

I pretty much loathe dragging techy shite out into the wilds, incongruous and frustrating with just my digital camera gear. Oddly, my beast, the Canon 1D is the easiest to deal with if big and clunky.  A small video cam with all of it's "ability" is a PITA to navigate thru menus...blablah That drone footage though, I'm tempted.

Slight decrease in outings around here but I'm still getting out, primarily to an an area with no sighting reports that I've come across, but then again, not many people go there--at least not since the Polynesian Mormons skedaddled back to HI in 1917. There is one from the 70's in the mountains to the East, on the far side of the valley that these here are the Western edge of.  I'm just parking along the road and wandering up, no trails, which is nice. Just sharing the view with Ravens, Zone-tailed hawks, Northern Harriers, Prairie Falcons, Bobcat, Coyote and who knows what else...No signs of hairless bi-peds up here.

Clambering around the mountains above the Valley of the Skulls:

49370633962_75624e72b8_h.jpgIMG_4574 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

49369965213_a5044365a4_h.jpgIMG_4571 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

49320227352_c423f7a730_h.jpgIMG_4689 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

Luring 'em in with some aromatic smoke:) No luck yet....

49369964283_5499358729_h.jpgIMG_4615 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

And from up in the Uintas, lots of Elk and Mule deer sign up here, no Cougar tracks as of yet and no big guy...

49370634892_906127366a_h.jpgIMG_4502 by LIght Pirate, on Flickr

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Admin

Summer Flashback!

IMG_20190603_143322614.jpg

Took advantage of the 70 degree weather to head into one of our research areas this past weekend with @Hellbent

No activity, but we were able to scout a bit deeper into the area and found a great spot to set up a basecamp.  

Lots of rain lately so the river was HIGH...22400.thumb.jpeg.b05b2208b70c912bbe04003cb8e97b27.jpeg22397.thumb.jpeg.98f3562504ee095db8f45dda4fd3c541.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, norseman said:

70 degrees!?

We were hiking in short sleeves.  

We haven't really gotten a winter here at all so far...

2 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Plus for the attractive lady!

1 hour ago, NatFoot said:

Not a bad way to spend the day! :D

Lol.  Remember when I posted about being contacted about doing a non-scripted cryptozoology show?  It certainly wasn't because of my ugly mug....

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Michigans winter has been weird as well.  A few short spells of snow and a little ice here and there but certainly not the typical winter we are used to.  Still cold and gray though....just not much of the white stuff......

I had a foot and half of snow in Sept. Then cycles of melt, snow, freeze. Which I hate.

The last week has dumped 2-3 ft of snow with another foot coming to tonight. Winter is now on a rampage.

This winter storm coming is suppose to go from Washington to Maine! Crazy!

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic