Field trips 2.0

BC witness

That winter storm arriving at your ranch tonight blew through here last night, and closed Hwy 1 all the way from Aldergrove, 15 km W of me, through Abbotsford, and out to Chilliwack, 30 km E. The snow wasn't deep, but stuck to the roads as a sheet of ice, and gale force winds created a total white-out. I missed my first day of work in 2 years because I couldn't get from my pick-up point in Langley, out to my deliveries in Chilliwack. We're still getting sustained winds of 50km/hr, gusting to over 80.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's more than melting here, we've been under a Cat4 atmospheric river for a few days, and the torrential rains have washed out numerous roads, and flooded low areas, including the Canada/US border crossing at Sumas, about 6km SE of me, as well as the only road in to the Sasquatch Ski Hill (formerly Hemlock Valley), and the road out of Harrison Hot Springs towards the Harrison East FSR, one of my favorite areas. Here in Abbotsford, from Thursday night to Saturday morning, we got a bit over  100mm!! of rain, and the Harrison area, 60 km away saw over 180mm, that's almost 8 inches of rain for the non-metric readers. There are parts of the country that don't see that much rain in a year.

Needless to say, that put a damper (pun intended) on my plans to head up Harrison E this afternoon, when the sun finally peeked out. The main road into there, Rockwood Drive, has washouts and mudslides, and even a new waterfall, before you even get off the pavement onto the FSR. The local news says that 32 homes are cut off by the mudslides and washouts there, and the Sasquatch ski hill had to organize a heli airlift to get 500 skiers and residents off the mountain, as it will take a week to rebuild the only road in.

And now it's snowing again!!!

Edited by BC witness

On 1/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, gigantor said:

pwrc3.PNG

pwrc1.PNG

pwrc2.PNG

It's been more like spring than winter here this year.  We'll have a high of 73 today.

It got down to 15 last night. The snow is patchy. I’ve been dealing with this since Sept.! Snow, melt, freeze, repeat.

Its weird.

8 hours ago, BC witness said:

It's more than melting here, we've been under a Cat4 atmospheric river for a few days, and the torrential rains have washed out numerous roads, and flooded low areas, including the Canada/US border crossing at Sumas, about 6km SE of me, as well as the only road in to the Sasquatch Ski Hill (formerly Hemlock Valley), and the road out of Harrison Hot Springs towards the Harrison East FSR, one of my favorite areas. Here in Abbotsford, from Thursday night to Saturday morning, we got a bit over  100mm!! of rain, and the Harrison area, 60 km away saw over 180mm, that's almost 8 inches of rain for the non-metric readers. There are parts of the country that don't see that much rain in a year.

Needless to say, that put a damper (pun intended) on my plans to head up Harrison E this afternoon, when the sun finally peeked out. The main road into there, Rockwood Drive, has washouts and mudslides, and even a new waterfall, before you even get off the pavement onto the FSR. The local news says that 32 homes are cut off by the mudslides and washouts there, and the Sasquatch ski hill had to organize a heli airlift to get 500 skiers and residents off the mountain, as it will take a week to rebuild the only road in.

And now it's snowing again!!!

I figured you guys would be flooding! Be safe!

Doing the same here in Michigan,  motorcycles were out yesterday, I scrapped my windshield this morning to go to work.   Water is very high.  Lake Michigan is about 1” higher than normal, that’s a lot of extra water!!! 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Incorrigible1 said:

I see a bigfoot up in one of those trees.

That’s me taking down Xmas lights! Dang it! :mad:

Must be Monday.... gotta cow in the hay feeder. :/

And lower on the ranch I got green grass sprouting!

EFF4A1EC-095E-4434-8950-6B6ADD6CFD11.jpeg

78F22E69-D8EC-4052-8D79-FB8E9F02A112.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic