Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Wow, another 8 weeks between trips! We've had large dumps of snow, alternating with torrential rains, for 2 months now, but I finally got out on a semi decent day. Just got home about an hour ago. I drove the full length of 2 of the large creek valleys on the N side of the Fraser River, about 30 minutes to those roads from my door.

The first valley is restricted access, but our group has permission to do "wildlife studies" there, so we have the gate combo. After I closed the gate behind me, I only encountered 1 other vehicle in the 20 km round trip up to the point where a deadfall blocked the road. Right there, I came across a line of coyote tracks, the only sign of wildlife I saw in that valley. I was pleased to see that the heavy rains had not washed out any part of the road.

IMG_0291.HEIC IMG_0292.HEIC IMG_0296.HEIC

Thanks, I'll look into that when I have a bit of time. Gotta love Microsoft, they change stuff with every update, and leave old guys like me in the dark.

Fed this morning and discovered the first calf of the year!

I then took a drive over to Sullivan lake and Boundary dam. The boat launch is open at the dam. The pend oreille river is mainly free of ice. Sullivan lake on the other hand is iced in hard. It snowed on me and was socked in good. Not alot of pictures opportunities.

5AC6C454-918D-4216-A6D5-AB2DC297E3EC.jpeg

30040D7B-D98A-4510-95DD-7C55D509A00C.jpeg

9E7A683C-030B-4145-9AA3-890BC15EECF5.jpeg

EDF997B3-EE7F-4136-951C-88E52B14E0CB.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Congrats on the calf, Norseman, looks like it's got a nice coat going for itself and mom is looking, good too. Saw a three-week old foal myself a couple of days ago at a friend's farm. Anther one coming in about a month.

• Upvote 2

It's stunning to me how beautiful parts of America can be.  Mountains, lakes, streams and valleys. I can't imagine living in a flat part of the country. Undoubtedly it has its own beauty but the mountains are so unique and bring a majesty to that which we see and experience. Where I live the mountains are much smaller than Montana or Colorado but they are stunningly beautiful. Tough, rugged, and when you hike up a mountain, it is straight up and over. No such thing as a switchback.

Thanks for sharing Norse!

On 2/8/2020 at 10:32 PM, norseman said:

Bigfoot is on the prowl tonight!!!

BC049320-BEDF-450C-9276-1CF56DB9C9A0.jpeg

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Upvote 1

Growing up in the east..and the living in the West once I was older ..

I will never denegrate the Rockies by calling the "mountains" I grew up with....mountains. They aren't.

BFF Patron

Oh I don't know NatFoot.    I always give small mountains some credit when they wind me climbing up them.    Then again the over 11,000 they try to get me to pass out.  

Took my wife to lunch at Beaver lodge today. People were ice fishing on the lake.

Can back home theough Mill creek rd. Imstead of hwy 20. They were logging so it was plowed.

1- Logging Op

2-View from lodge

3-Looking west towards old dominion mtn

4-Mill creek

35759CC1-CDE6-429F-B962-D5FF7EE3A66B.jpeg

50A6F920-BD66-4B91-9A0C-DBE7CCEA8338.jpeg

661BF1F7-B6D0-4CB7-AAAC-C12EC0FFD54D.jpeg

A9BCBD9F-1FC3-465C-88DA-16EA8868D6D5.jpeg

9 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Growing up in the east..and the living in the West once I was older ..

I will never denegrate the Rockies by calling the "mountains" I grew up with....mountains. They aren't.

When I was trucking I always thought the Great Smoky Mtns were pretty.

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic