Field trips 2.0

BC witness

We're getting the arctic outflow winds here in the Fraser Valley tonight, gusts up to 70kmh (about 45mph), and temps down to -4C, but no snow. The next few days are supposed to hit 12 to 15C but fall to freezing each night. I hope to get out to the forest on Sunday.

12 hours ago, JustCurious said:

wiiawiwb, is that mist over a lake or fog over a clearing?  Looks like a setting from a scary movie, so the place looks about right to encounter 'something' unnatural. :)  Yeah, hearing trees falling over 5 times is extraordinary.

I know what you mean about those feelings about a place.  There is a particular road that I've traveled that feels creepy and unsettling.  So much so that one time driving down it, my young daughter of about 5 at the time was begging to be allowed into the front seat of the car because she was scared being alone in the back seat.

Hi JC .... it is mist over a small pond. It's in an area with lots of small ponds and mountains.

28 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

X-Mas decorations still?!?!

I thought the same,  but hafta remember my friend Norse has had a tough year, including spinal surgery.  A little acceptance goes a helluva long ways.

Besides, I'm still jelly of the gorgeous mountain land he calls "home." This from a flat-land Plainsman.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NatFoot said:

X-Mas decorations still?!?!

Right? My wife loves them. I guess they still fit the scenery!

BFF Patron

I got 3.5 inches this morning and it is still coming down.  

• Upvote 1

We're still getting the high winds and cold temps this afternoon. The streets are littered with bits of tree boughs, even a few trees blown down, and it's only 2C at 4 PM. I'll be taking my chain saw when I head out tomorrow!

• Upvote 1

My trip out today was a solo run, as my son's lady friend had other plans for him, and the other guys in my group were also all otherwise occupied, as well as another member on this board who PMed me, but we couldn't make our schedules mesh.

It was a beautiful blue sky day, but we still have the very stiff winds and cold temps, so my treks away from the car were fairly short. I took one of my favourite side trails off the main logging road, and about 4 km in, found a group of guys with an impromptu range set up, and a nice array of guns and optics, so I stopped and chatted for a while, but didn't join in the target shooting, as I had left the house with my rifle, and my ammo box stayed on the bench by the door, where I had forgotten it! Getting old has its moments for me !!

My next turn off was to the small lake that I had mentioned in my post on page 34, so that I could take another pic of the spot where some of you had seen a blobsquatch in one of my photos. I duplicated the same shot today, and can confirm that the same dark blob is still in the same position, so it's a stump, or a VERY patient sasquatch. Again, there was a family, mom, dad, and 3 teens, with a target set up for .22 plinking. They finished a couple of 5 round clips, then packed up so I could continue my walk past them to the pond area.

Back on the main logging road, I found the next few side valleys gated, including one that I had gone into for the first time in years, on my last trip out with my son (P 34). I did find another road near there, up another creek valley, that had been locked in the past, but was open today, so I ventured up it, only to find a 14" dia. deadfall across it at the 2km marker. I got out my 18" Homelite chainsaw, and struggled with it for 20 minutes without getting it started. I think I over primed it, as when I got home and took it into the communal workshop in my building, it fired right up on the 3rd pull. ARGHHHH

My only wildlife sighting was a skinny looking grouse, that flushed off the road before I could get my camera on it. Still a nice day to be out in the timber, with fresh air and soul satisfying scenery.  

In order of appearance:

Waterfall almost entirely frozen

View down a side trail, looking west across the lake

A stretch of the logging road used as a small aircraft runway for a logging camp

The small lake I showed on p.34, with the same evergreen and dark blob on the far side

Mountains down the lake to the north

More of the mountains to the north

Icicles on a cliff face.

One of the gated roads

Deadfall across the trail

Mt Cheam from the schoolyard in the village of Aggissiz at sunset on the way home.

.IMG_0337.thumb.JPG.6ab84e201c3e7f992b9a37cb5774d2c3.JPGIMG_0341.thumb.JPG.c856aff11a9fa34f8e1aa9a7ad3f6207.JPGIMG_0355.thumb.JPG.b36baf2768cbd33a3b100878e8a97b75.JPGIMG_0350.thumb.JPG.1b7ce7574b64da62574262f770c6c806.JPGIMG_0353.thumb.JPG.2508f555c54d0d03e9ae8b18db7fcefd.JPGIMG_0352.thumb.JPG.4078f65839e3173bc130f300e535b489.JPGIMG_0334.thumb.JPG.b8ffe87641bbe618cde911dd4469459a.JPG

IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.02a2aedfea04a6bbf9b22257b9720fc9.JPGIMG_0359.thumb.JPG.d7719bc38aa604bceac24108a8fdd8eb.JPGIMG_0361.thumb.JPG.46bac0f33cba01a3db46d96f35eaa8d0.JPG

Edited by BC witness
  • Upvote 4

Looks like a gorgeous day!  I like the effects of winter on nature sometimes.  Thanks for going back to the scene of the blobsquatch and verifying.  No doubt one of those stone/mud/leaf statues created by Sasquatch to fool us.

Admin

West Virginia.

IMG_20200321_161558388.jpg

IMG_20200321_155418967.jpg

IMG_20200321_154846269.jpg

IMG_20200321_135757176.jpg

IMG_20200321_135642067.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A moody looking day in squatchy country. Thanks for the pics. What wildlife did you see, or see signs of?

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic