Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Admin
On 3/21/2020 at 8:35 PM, BC witness said:

A moody looking day in squatchy country. Thanks for the pics. What wildlife did you see, or see signs of?

We only saw deer and squirrels, it's early and cold still.

On 3/21/2020 at 9:59 PM, wiiawiwb said:

Gigantor -- is that fog typical or an anomaly?

It's in the mountains, so Everytime it rains it get foggy. It was a foggy day, but in the summer when WVFooter and I got followed.

Today was nice...

IMG_20200324_161148407.jpg

IMG_20200324_150502802.jpg

IMG_20200324_133109489_HDR.jpg

Below is Seneca Rocks. We tried to hike to the top, but I couldn't do it, got 75% of the way there . I have a new goal now.

IMG_20200322_150655167.jpg

IMG_20200324_132956658_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200322_140700986.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The vistas are beautiful but looks can be deceiving. The terrain looks like it could be very difficult to traverse with blow down, steep approaches, and it being wet and slippery. Do you stick to trails or bushwhack? It also looks like you could have areas all to yourselves. Is the area accessed by many people?

Admin
35 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Do you stick to trails or bushwhack

We stick to the hiking trails until we get deep into the woods, then we veer off on game trails. You wouldn't get too far bushwhacking, it's thick and I'm afraid of the rattle snakes, there is a lot of them here.

35 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

It also looks like you could have areas all to yourselves. Is the area accessed by many people?

The park area where the cabins are has some foot traffic, especially near the Appalachian Trail. But we drive far from there. The Monongahela National Forest is huge.

Two years ago (or is it three?), I came within two feet of stepping on a timber rattler. I was in an area where there is no cell service and was out alone. It dawned on me that I could be in real trouble if that rattler nailed me. Two hours off the mountain and a a 45 minute drive to a local hospital while the venom is coursing through my veins.

I was carrying a PLB (ResQLink) but that wouldn't save me.  I've decided to get a satellite messenger like an InReach Mini or Garmin 66i. That way, I could send out an SOS and get in contact with GEOS and have them alert the nearest hospital that I was inbound with a timber rattler bite.

Seeing there are a lot of rattlers where you go, do you or WVFooter have a satellite messenger in case either of you get bitten? Do either of you go out there alone or do you two head out together?

Admin
10 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

do you or WVFooter have a satellite messenger in case either of you get bitten? Do either of you go out there alone or do you two head out together?

I don't have one, but I'm getting one soon. Never go out alone, it's not a good idea.

I'd like to get out and see some nice scenery like this.   I've been around MI and a little bit of KS.   The real mountains are amazing looking.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, gigantor said:

I don't have one, but I'm getting one soon. Never go out alone, it's not a good idea.

Are you looking at anything specifically...InReach Mini, Explorer+, Garmin 66i, other? 

I've hiked/backpacked alone most of my adult life and am comfortable with that. No doubt, you have to be on top of your game as a slip up can be costly. That's why I taken formal wilderness survival training so I feel both comfortable and prepared when out in the backcountry. Dave Canterbury has some excellent videos on the basics such as building a shelter and starting a friction fire.

I have a couple of buddies that like to go sasquatching with me and we have a great time doing so. Thankfully, their wives are very understanding.

Admin
4 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Are you looking at anything specifically...InReach Mini, Explorer+, Garmin 66i, other? 

Don't know, I have to educate myself on those.

5 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

No doubt, you have to be on top of your game as a slip up can be costly.

Yeah, I live in the city and only get out into the woods maybe 6 times a year.

6 minutes ago, norseman said:

The day after I almost got nailed by the timber rattler, I ordered a pair Turtleskin Gaiters. They're lightweight and protect as well.  I am now at ease when in the area where the rattlers are abundant but reclusive.

https://turtleskin.com/default/snake-gaiters.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

.......I'm afraid of the rattle snakes, there is a lot of them here.........

Seems a bit early for snakes. But I'm in snow anus deep to a tall giraffe here. I guess that's why there are no snakes here.

• Haha 3

The wives tale is bull snakes kill rattlers..... I think it has more to do with topography. My ranch is mostly north slope. Rattlers seem to like south facing stuff that’s more open.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic