Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Rare indeed, good luck to you both.

The limb or tree remnant "A," where is that coming from? And "B" was that off its stump also, as in it could have been another leaner on the opposite side?

KIMG0886.JPG.2670db4ae6cc1031914e1b55d3cb99a2.thumb.JPG.b505fe151c058338f366ea17215fd3c8.JPG

Living in the woods, I see a zillion of these things, new ones created whenever the wind gets over 40mph and I can't say i give them much credence but when moved off their stumps, well that is interesting.

@BlackRockBigfoot

If you look close at the end of that bent tree you can see that tree is cracking. The only way that this tree could be cracking at the end of this tree by the bend is by it being forcibly bent down,. In my opinion some thing pulled this tree down for it to have a stress crack at the bend of the tree. That other log was placed on top of the bent over tree. The only question remains is if it was done by a human or a these creatures. I have seen enough of these structures to know that most of these structures are done by these things.  The purpose of them I have no reason why they would do them.  At first I always thought that they were a hoax done by a human. But for what reason would a human go out of their way following me out into the woods just to do some complex structures over night . Even better why would they create some thing on a path in the middle of the woods where these hoaxers would have no idea I would be going through that was off trail.  That kind a of stuff does not make sense. Further more when you have to use a compass or your GPS to get back to the trail. Yet, you still find these structures.

It gets more complex when you start to find more of these structures and things of these odd nature. It starts to seem like they are speaking to you personally in a complex way. This is not natural occurrences and seem to be made on purpose. Your mind will shift to hoaxing but it will later turn out to be that it is not.

My guess is that some thing climbed that tree and brought it down.  Look very close to the bend of that tree. 

I

12 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Rare indeed, good luck to you both.

The limb or tree remnant "A," where is that coming from? And "B" was that off its stump also, as in it could have been another leaner on the opposite side?

KIMG0886.JPG.2670db4ae6cc1031914e1b55d3cb99a2.thumb.JPG.b505fe151c058338f366ea17215fd3c8.JPG

Living in the woods, I see a zillion of these things, new ones created whenever the wind gets over 40mph and I can't say i give them much credence but when moved off their stumps, well that is interesting.

Same here. I see tons of tree falls, but even if they look strange at first you can usually figure out how it occurred after studying it for a bit.  This one I couldn't figure out.  Doesn't mean that it's not 100% natural, so odd.  

A) was broken off about 9 feet off the ground and land over the rest of the downed trees. It broke against a slight natural bend in the tree.

B ) could have been part of the piece that is at a 45 degree angle down to the right.  That angled piece was the head scratcher.  The base of it was too far for it to just have fallen like that.  A wind strong enough to throw it that far would have wrecked some damage.

The long thin tree was bent over and apparently held in place, then the piece which is at a 45 degree angle was placed on that, then the tree labeled A was broken and ended up on top.  

Might have been the remnants of something man made, but I just couldn't figure out a reason for it.  

In of itself, it's nothing.  It was eye-catching in its strangeness, though.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1

BFF Patron

I got a good example of what strange things trees can do in my yard about 5 years ago.    We had a wind storm with hurricane force winds.    Trees were cracking and breaking off all around my house.  You would hear the giant crack when It broke off,   and 3 to 5 seconds later the huge thud when it hid the ground.    One very large tree broke off and sailed about 50 yards away from the base and impaled in my yard.   In the woods it would have been hard to even know where the base was.     One might even have thought it was done by BF since the top was sticking in the ground and the larger base was pointed up at the sky.   I had to get a tractor to pull it out of the ground.    They are rare in Washington but rare as they are,  I have had two tornados on the ground doing damage within 6 miles of where I live.     I can only imagine what tangled messes of trees they produced when they moved up into the mountains. 

• 2 weeks later...
Admin

Took a trip to Liberty dam in Maryland. No Bigfoot around there, but it's a nice view.

IMG_20200515_163515945_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200515_163956423.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pretty impressive dam Giganto. Looked it up and the Liberty Reservoir is beautiful.  Looks like a boater's and paddler's dream with all the bays and inlets. Thanks for sharing.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gigantor said:

Took a trip to Liberty dam in Maryland. No Bigfoot around there, but it's a nice view.

IMG_20200515_163515945_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200515_163956423.jpg

There are 57 reports in Carroll, Baltimore, and Howard Counties in the John Green database, with only 15 entered in the SSR.

Sykesville is maybe 10 miles away from the dam and there are 12 reports around there alone, most in 1973.

Admin
3 hours ago, Redbone said:

most in 1973.

Maybe back then...  It's too crowded all around the reservoir now.

It's an old dam though, they're going to have to fix it soon. Not sure how they're going to do that.

IMG_20200515_164700147.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got out for the day on Sunday, with my daughter Andrea. It was a multi purpose trip to the East side of Harrison Lake. We took metal detectors to search old logging camps and beaches, my rifle for black bear and cougar, both open till June 15th, and camera for the money shot of Sasquatch.

The metal detecting produced lots of rusty nails, some melted aluminum slag (old beer cans, probably), and 1 modern nickel.

The hunting got us a close up look at a nice chubby blacktail doe, but no sign of bear or cougar, though we've had sightings of both in the past in this area.

The search for Sas was fruitless, with no sign of tracks or anything else. 

The real adventure started at about 5:30, when a moment of inattention on my part got the right rear tire of the SUV over the edge of the trail, putting me in a position where I had no traction to go forward uphill, and no option to go backward downhill, as that would roll the car onto its side in the ditch. After 30 or 40 minutes of trying to use rocks and logs to make a way out, we gave up on that, and walked a km back down the trail to the main logging road to flag down a 4x4 to help pull the car 3' forward to get me back on the trail. After 45 minutes with no traffic, we started walking west from the km 43 marker. At km 35, we finally found a dirt biker with a Garmin InReach gps with satellite text capability, and I sent messages explaining our predicament to my son, who has a 4x4, and to fellow BFFer MagniAesir, who also knows the area and has a 4x4. Before either could reply, a couple in a Toyata Tundra 4x4 came along, and offered to help out. I sent follow up texts to let my son and Magni know that we now had help, and off we went to rescue my SUV. The actual pull out was very easy, and both our rescuer and I got turned around to head back down the trail.

I offered to buy the couple a 24 case of beer, a bottle of whiskey, or at least pay them for their time and gas, but they refused to take anything for their help. By the time we were back on the main logging road, with 43 km still to go to reach pavement, it was fully dark, at 10PM. At km 9, we finally got a cell signal, and I was able to call Magni and my son to let them know we were safely headed home. At that point, my son answered that he was already coming up the logging road, at km 6, so we met him just a few minutes later. We finally got onto pavement in another 10 minutes, and started home, stopping at a Tim Hortons in Rosedale for  BLTs and hot choclates, since Andrea and I hadn't eaten since about 2. We finally got home at 1:00AM, completely beat, and legs aching from the long hike.

I'm going to Cabella's this week to buy an InReach unit, since a text out sure beats a long hike on a dark logging road!

I didn't think to get a photo of my driving boo-boo, but I did get a few shots of the location during the day:

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

• Upvote 3

^^^^ For self extraction, I have Maasdam Pow'r pullers. We tend to travel on the roads with little or no traffic. Self extraction ability is important when one drops a wheel off a soft shoulder and the time is zero-dark-thirty hours.

https://www.maasdam.com/

Made in USA.  I have a flat strap model and the rope puller model that I call the 'endless rope puller'. The flat strap model has to be held horizontal or the strap will 'spill' off  the side of the reel.  The endless rope puller is the way to go. I have at least 100' of 1/2" rope.  Nice to have a pulley / snatch block for more pulling ability.

Available on Amazon.ca.   Lots of reviews. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Catmandoo, those look interesting. I actually have a come-along that I carried in my old 4x4 all the time, but I didn't think to put it in the Outlander on Sunday. I have to learn that the Mitsubishi, though technically a 4 wheel drive, has limitations that most of my old full frame, solid axle 4x4s would easily overcome. Another factor is that the Mitsu is my daily business vehicle, so I can't beat on it like I did my old dedicated 4x4s.

I wish I could afford a really trail ready rig, like some that I've had in the past, but my reality, in semi-retirement, doesn't include that, so I'll work on getting the right recovery gear for what I have, and adjusting my off roading to suit what I have, and what I can handle at my age.

Yeah, that's pretty rad, and there are Dakkar winning versions of my Mitsubishi, but I don't have the $100G for the mods to get to that stage. :-0

10 hours ago, BC witness said:

Thanks, Catmandoo, those look interesting. I actually have a come-along that I carried in my old 4x4 all the time, but I didn't think to put it in the Outlander on Sunday. I have to learn that the Mitsubishi, though technically a 4 wheel drive, has limitations that most of my old full frame, solid axle 4x4s would easily overcome. Another factor is that the Mitsu is my daily business vehicle, so I can't beat on it like I did my old dedicated 4x4s.

I wish I could afford a really trail ready rig, like some that I've had in the past, but my reality, in semi-retirement, doesn't include that, so I'll work on getting the right recovery gear for what I have, and adjusting my off roading to suit what I have, and what I can handle at my age.

It might also be a good idea to join the 4WD Association of BC. $30 for the first year, and $25 for each year thereafter (https://www.4wdabc.ca/cpages/join). They have corporate partnerships with several businesses, including Lordco, Overlanders, West Coast Off-Roaders, Beacon Insurance, Freedom Recovery Gear, Maple Ridge & Coquitlam Chrysler, etc. You get a 10% discount card for Lordco, if you need parts. All the corporate sponsors, actually, have discounts for club members. Also, as a member, you can get keys for several of the gated off FSR's, such as Norrish and Coquitlam Mountain. They have a 3500-strong membership so far, and often get groups together for cleanup runs, etc.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic