Field trips 2.0

BC witness

The town of Yahk on the Canadian side of the border has a pub called the "Horny Owl", with a huge owl on the roof.

Hmmm - I just did a google search, and that same pub, which I last visited about 20 years ago, is now called the "Smoke'n'Jugz", and the rooftop owl is gone.

Edited by BC witness

3 hours ago, BC witness said:

The town of Yahk on the Canadian side of the border has a pub called the "Horny Owl", with a huge owl on the roof.

Hmmm - I just did a google search, and that same pub, which I last visited about 20 years ago, is now called the "Smoke'n'Jugz", and the rooftop owl is gone.

LOL.

Yaak-Yahk

Okanogan-Okanagan

Kootenai-Kootenay

We can never agree on spelling! I really miss exploring Canada. Hopefully they will unlock the border soon.

Close guess on our route and mileage. I wanna find a dirt route from Nordman Idaho to Bonners Ferry Idaho.

B4867595-6E18-4D04-88DC-BA85259EAB7B.png

Edited by norseman

3 hours ago, BC witness said:

Uh..........any "Smoke'n'Jugz" on the roof?

• Haha 1

Norseman, you've been all over my area.  I'm jealous!  So many beautiful and remote areas to explore within a day's drive of my home and no time to do it.  I grew up in this area and visited many of the same places you've covered as a kid camping with my family.  Haven't been there for decades.

You've inspired me to use some of my leave time to explore some beautiful parts of the area.  Ordered a pickup bed tent for my utility trailer to pull behind my 4Runner.  Now I just need to convince my girlfriend to actually camp in a tent, lol.

I've been wanting to go back into the Burgdorf Hot Springs area for years.  Haven't been there since I was a kid.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Norseman, you've been all over my area.  I'm jealous!  So many beautiful and remote areas to explore within a day's drive of my home and no time to do it.  I grew up in this area and visited many of the same places you've covered as a kid camping with my family.  Haven't been there for decades.

You've inspired me to use some of my leave time to explore some beautiful parts of the area.  Ordered a pickup bed tent for my utility trailer to pull behind my 4Runner.  Now I just need to convince my girlfriend to actually camp in a tent, lol.

I've been wanting to go back into the Burgdorf Hot Springs area for years.  Haven't been there since I was a kid.

Same here. I packed mules in the Selway and Frank as well as the Salmo. We live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!

Also have you ever heard of the Mosquito creek monster? Its somewhere between Avery and St. Regis. (The crick)

Never heard of the Mosquito creek monster.  Was just up in Avery a year or so ago and did a little hiking.  

IwPUH0jvQjeDVcUNYnivFA.jpeg

Ran across a guy doing chainsaw carvings on Craigslist in Idaho of Bigfoot. Called it the “Mosquito creek monster”.

Im fairly sure this is the crick in question.

D5CCFAB3-CC04-42B4-8E7C-39FF36890D90.png

3 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

Yesterday, I went on a hiking adventure rather than a sasquatching one. I hiked with a buddy and we went up and over three mountains on a peninsula.  The interior forest was a bit hazy as we started up the first one. Then, as you proceed from the first mountain to the second one to the third, you walk some of the way along a ridgeline, where you are treated to a view of both sides.

The area is well known for its population of timber rattlers and if bitten there is no fast or easy way back to your car. That doesn't bode well. I've been hiking and backpacking many years and this hike was the most difficult one I've ever done. That includes Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Desolation Valley, and the Grand Canyon.  Steep climbs, then sliding down nearly-vertical terrain on your backside  as you proceed down the mountain. The descents, with their rock ledges and narrow pathways, were more rigorous than the ascents. One missed step,  which becomes easier when you begin to get tired, and you're tumbling down nearly vertical cliffs in some areas.   

All-in-all it was a great day hiking and the continuous views along the way inspired us to continue forward.

20200711_120125.jpg

20200711_130239.jpg

20200711_151001 (002).jpg

Beautiful!

where?

13 hours ago, Explorer said:

BTW, the buck moved on to the other side of the lake and disturbed the only other backpacker there from 1 to 4 AM.

I saw the guy in the morning and he was so scared that he did not sleep and started a fire.

He never saw what was making all the noises and stumping the ground.

I told him it was the buck, since it did the same in my campground earlier that night.

Looks like you had some great country to see there. 

I have a question about what you called stumping. I assume it's the animal stomping? I'm glad you mentioned that. I have seen both deer and elk do that when disturbed. Just another thing to be aware of when out in the wild, especially at night. 

11 hours ago, hiflier said:

Were there as many dead trees there as it appears in the images?

There was a fire in the area 2 years ago and it did kill many trees on my way up to the lake and on the valley.

In addition, I think there were many other trees that were dying or dead due to the bark (or pine) beetle infestation.

I have seen that devastation also in Emigrant Wilderness up in the Sierra Nevada. Real sad.

9 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Looks like you had some great country to see there. 

I have a question about what you called stumping. I assume it's the animal stomping? I'm glad you mentioned that. I have seen both deer and elk do that when disturbed. Just another thing to be aware of when out in the wild, especially at night. 

I heard loud noises that sounded like stomping (while in place) instead of walking but it was sporadic and not continuous.

Attached is a small audio sample from my recording at the lake around 12:30 AM so that you can better understand what I heard (it lasts about 1 min 45 seconds).

There is some walking there at the end, but with some hard footsteps.  

BTW, I never saw the animal stomping, it just sounded like that.

The guy who was camping on the east side of the lake told me that he also heard stumping like sounds and that at first light he went looking for tracks and found a spot of dirt that had been kicked around.

The spot had deer prints.

He showed the dirt spot to me, and it did looked like a deer had been kicking the spot.

Buck_Stomping_Sounds_Normalized.mp3

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic