Field trips 2.0

BC witness

I don't know how you guys hunt in stuff that thick. Watching Steve Rinella on MeatEater has been fantastic and given me a better idea of how it works.

Awesome Netflix show if you like the outdoors, hunting and food.

6 hours ago, NatFoot said:

I don't know how you guys hunt in stuff that thick. Watching Steve Rinella on MeatEater has been fantastic and given me a better idea of how it works.

Awesome Netflix show if you like the outdoors, hunting and food.

You glass in the more open stuff and use the thick stuff to hide your advance. Spot and stalk.

Mule deer like the more open stuff. They use the thick stuff stuff as transitional areas between them.

I stopped watching Steve after he almost got killed by that Moose. Dumb move. He pulls some rookie mistakes like Tred Barta did. He needs to learn patience.

That is an interesting find @wiiawiwb looks like a beautiful area even without a track find.  I was poking around in similar terrain yesterday, hemlocks too--I think I see those in your second pic-- and having similar thoughts about a thermal as I scanned the far side of the ponds and bogs--It sure would be helpful. The tamaracks are adding some nice color/texture to the wetlands.

3 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Good stuff there, K. The shot in the mist? Perfect Halloween setting for the Great Pumpkin :)

Or Pumpkinhead! I sat and watch for anything lurking around out there, It just seemed there SHOULD be.

9 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

@wiiawiwb

That doesn't look like a double print from a bear at first glance.

How deep was the print?

The footprint was pretty deep but that area was also very soft and extremely wet. The last picture of my post shows the heel area and it was pretty deep. If you click on that picture, you can also enlarge it.

@Kiwakwe - Great pictures of a beautiful area. If offers ponds and dense forests both of which are what a sasquatch wants and needs. I particularly enjoyed your third picture as it is the type of terrain I enjoy being out in. Traveling down the road with your high beams on--it's always good to swing for the fences.

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Up a little ways N yesterday for some bog trotting in an area about centrally located between 2 sightings of very differently described creatures, tall, lanky reddish haired adult with shorter assumed juvenile crossing the road and a dark colored, stout individual sighted from a canoe as it stepped up onto a shoreline boulder. About 20 miles apart as the crow flies. Didn't see any BF sign but plenty of color and Northern Pitcher plant:

50503389563_fa6cce38b6_k.jpg

50503390933_0802155c19_k.jpg

walking old woods roads, giant lichen/moss covered glacial erratics back in here along with old bear tracks

50504270412_3c0bec0d03_k.jpg

50506589458_a9457dc863_k.jpg

crossed a few streams on the way, this was the only misty one:

50504268302_6ec39091b8_k.jpg

Ran video a bit of the drive out for the hail mary road crossing...

50504266752_bb058ab2ac_k.jpg

50504267447_5680a2dff1_k.jpg

That last picture needs to be on a poster or something.

• Like 1

His pictures taken are magnificent. I was going to say the 2nd and 3rd pictures are two I find captivating.  The pictures bring you to a place where you think you are there.  Good stuff.

@Kiwakwe  Were those pictures taken from a smartphone or camera?

Edited by wiiawiwb

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

@Kiwakwe  Were those pictures taken from a smartphone or camera?

They are from a Canon G15 shot raw, uploaded as edited jpgs obviously. I'm not crazy about what flickr does with the saturation levels--they are off a tad, I don't use the editor there-- something gets jumbled in the upload I guess. Glad you liked 'em.

The G15 still doesn't have a sensor worthy of a Sasquatch but it's better than a phone!

11 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

The G15 still doesn't have a sensor worthy of a Sasquatch but it's better than a phone!

I'd love to pick one up even if just for its compact size. And yeah, better than a phone........except for that texting thing ;) 

54 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I'd love to pick one up even if just for its compact size. And yeah, better than a phone........except for that texting thing ;) 

There are so many good little cameras out there now and with pretty incredible zooms and at least aps-c sensors. Of course they get as spendy as a decent dslr. The Canon G series that I've used starting with a 7? I think then a 12 and including the 15 have incredible battery life. Plenty robust--mag alloy bodies IIRC--they are metal. and dials/knobs for the important stuff, not waterproof though.....I still prefer to text the BF astrally because my flip phone is such a hassle. 

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic