Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Hopefully, a sighting comes sooner than later. We have to keep our oars in the water until then. It's not difficult especially when you're in beautiful country such as you were in yesterday.

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

We have to keep our oars in the water until then

The journey has been an oar-deal..................for quite awhile.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BC witness said:

I managed to get out for a half day adventure today. I wasn't sure the trails would be passable after yesterday's strong winds, but I didn't encounter any downed trees, just tons of leaves and bits of evergreen boughs littered everywhere.

I chose one of my favorite trails off the Harrison East FSR, a branch road that I managed to bag a nice fork horn buck on a few years ago. That luck didn't hold today, as all I saw was squirrels and small birds, plus one small member of the weasel family that played peekaboo with me in a pile of broken rock for a few minutes, from about 4 yards away. There have been at least 5 sightings in this area in the last decade, that I'm aware of, but I couldn't find any sign today. I spent the last hour of daylight glassing a fairly large clearcut that was logged about 5 years ago, then had a forest fire burn through 3 years ago. It was a pleasant way to spend the last bit of a nice day, but nothing at all came into sight before it got too dim to see well.

During the 4 hours I was off the main FSR, I didn't see or hear another person or vehicle, which was a surprise, as the parking area at the end of pavement had more empty ATV trailers than I've ever seen there before.

Great pics BCW! Looks like a good day to be out. The scene in pic#2 looks as if the H3 may have picked up some new pin-striping.

2 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

Great pics BCW! Looks like a good day to be out. The scene in pic#2 looks as if the H3 may have picked up some new pin-striping.

It definitely did! That section of trail showed on Gaia Maps as looping back to the secondary logging road that I started up the mountain on, but not far past that photo spot, it became so overgrown and the cross trenches so extreme, that nothing bigger than quads had been through, so I did a 3 point "bulldozer" turn, and came out the way I went in. That's part of the reason I opted for a 14 year old 4x4, not a shiny new one. I did manage to pull  a couple of the plastic fender liner clips that hold the rear mud flaps loose, so I'll have to pick a few up to repair that, or ditch the flaps altogether. 

Admin
3 hours ago, BC witness said:

ditch the flaps altogether. 

Yes, that's what I would do.

23 hours ago, BC witness said:

It definitely did! That section of trail showed on Gaia Maps as looping back to the secondary logging road that I started up the mountain on, but not far past that photo spot, it became so overgrown and the cross trenches so extreme, that nothing bigger than quads had been through, so I did a 3 point "bulldozer" turn, and came out the way I went in. That's part of the reason I opted for a 14 year old 4x4, not a shiny new one. I did manage to pull  a couple of the plastic fender liner clips that hold the rear mud flaps loose, so I'll have to pick a few up to repair that, or ditch the flaps altogether. 

I hear you, I'm too ocd to take a shiny new one where I frequently like to go. I'm glad somebody is buying new--so I don't have to.

BC

You live in a great place . Love the pictures and wish i could be there and camp.

Got kicked off the Nat Forest. Cannot ride our bikes behind locked gates even though 750W is considered non motorized by federal law. I guess the dept of agriculture doesn’t listen to the dept of the interior..... bureaucracy! Gonna hear from me! They allow skidders and tree saws behind the same gates!

So we are on some state ground and timber ground down by Hunters, Wa. It’s my wife turn for elk!

A4831F5C-98DC-4DEA-8F58-4BFF250E6FB7.jpeg

B18E711B-D79C-4FB1-B9B6-4E03FBABA46C.jpeg

D6ACDE01-29F9-4DCD-A2DB-87CB838A0307.jpeg

• Upvote 1

We went back out today to examine an area we were in last night.

We are in 'peak leaf' as of today.  The mountains are a riot of orange and red as the leaves change...

35625~2.jpeg

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1

Something funny to share...

We were in a field behind an old ruined settlement where I heard a few growls last night.  I was following a track through the grass when I came across a disturbance in the earth that looked remarkably like a footprint...

36" by 25"...with 7 toes.  Go ahead and cut me that check for the best research/evidence of 2020.  :lol::lol::lol:

35626.jpeg

The southern Appalachians are riddled with old settlements that were abandoned years and years ago.  This is the area where we were last night and again today.

There are whole towns and cemeteries that have been taken back over by the forest and forgotten...

35634.jpeg

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic