Field trips 2.0

BC witness

8 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

@BlackRockBigfoot

Troll print!! That area looks awesome, cool old house too.

Lol.  Exactly what I thought.  I saw it before Jessi and just yelled "OK.  I'M DONE HERE!!!"

I even watermarked it, so it doesn't show up on some schlocky site..."THE GIANTS OF CHATTAHOOCHEE".

The better looking half of our two person team...

35632.jpeg

Good idea on the watermark!

My better looking half bailed on the bushwhack today--been warm this weekend, the lyme infested ticks still looking for blood, she wants no part. 

Not only is she the better looking half but she's ingenuitive--bug pants over her head when she forgets the top:) She looks harmless but she's packing a .357 under the jeans shirt!

IMG_5639.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Good idea on the watermark!

My better looking half bailed on the bushwhack today--been warm this weekend, the lyme infested ticks still looking for blood, she wants no part. 

Not only is she the better looking half but she's ingenuitive--bug pants over her head when she forgets the top:) She looks harmless but she's packing a .357 under the jeans shirt!

IMG_5639.jpg

Hahahaha!  That's awesome!  Adapt and overcome!

Yeah, the bugs were insane today.  It's been warm and wet.  I asked Jessi where the bug spray was, and said "At home.  It's November."

• Like 1

Back to the area of my last report, off the beaten path and back in following a boggy beaver flowage. Saw some old bear and coyote scat, lots of fresh deer sign, one Broad Wing hawk and two pair of Mallards. Outside of a single Blue Jay and Red squirrel announcing my presence the woods were dead quiet. 

Old logging spur in:

IMG_6350.thumb.jpg.0bcd4f4473bd78cafa309f79a96db3e2.jpg

Spent the afternoon circumnavigating this area. Lots of potential here methinks.

IMG_6349.thumb.jpg.3b9e727150c472d3884efa0bdbda32f6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Back to the area of my last report, off the beaten path and back in following a boggy beaver flowage. Saw some old bear and coyote scat, lots of fresh deer sign, one Broad Wing hawk and two pair of Mallards. Outside of a single Blue Jay and Red squirrel announcing my presence the woods were dead quiet. 

Old logging spur in:

IMG_6350.thumb.jpg.0bcd4f4473bd78cafa309f79a96db3e2.jpg

Spent the afternoon circumnavigating this area. Lots of potential here methinks.

IMG_6349.thumb.jpg.3b9e727150c472d3884efa0bdbda32f6.jpg

Looks awesome.  

Is this that rail depot area that you were talking about?

Above is the drone footage of our Eagle Creek, BC outing last Sunday, as promised.

Edited by BC witness
add comment
  • Thanks 1

@BlackRockBigfoot & @Kiwakwe, it's great that you both got out into some very interesting territory, and thanks for the great pics.

I got away for a full day today, with my daughter Andrea and Robert J., to the Anderson River watershed, a tributary of the Fraser River. It's quite a bit further than my other recent outings, so we were out the door at 5AM to get to the area at sun up, making for a long day. We first went off pavement at a logging road just beyond the Alexandra Bridge, which took us in to the west branch of the river, towards a sighting from 1997 which is well documented by Thomas Steenburg as the Mike McDonald sighting. We were able to find the spot thanks to the description in the report, and Thomas' previous trip there with Robert a few weeks ago. The trail from which Mike saw the Sasquatch across the river is now quite overgrown, so our short hike to the actual spot required some scrambling and bushwhacking, but was worth the effort to see the area, and visually confirm his report of the circumstances.

By the time we got back to our vehicles, we were happy to climb in and crank up the heaters, as the day was quite cold, -2C, in spite of the clear blue skies. We continued a few more km along the now narrow power line trail, till we found ourselves looking into a deep canyon, where the east fork of the Anderson flows in from the south. There was a road visible below us on the other side of the canyon, but no connection to it that we could find from our side, in spite of the fact that Robert's Back Road Map Book for the region showed a route there. That book did show another road off the main highway into the East Anderson, so we backtracked 30km to HWY 1, headed east to the outskirts of the village of Boston Bar, and found that road. A few km in, we found a nice pull out on the side of the logging road, sheltered from the cold wind, and stopped for lunch. Rested and re-energized, we continued up that road to eventually reach a locked gate about 25 km in. Along the way, we saw 1 grouse, which flew off before I could get my 20G breakopen loaded, and 2 different black bears, one large one that Robert saw, while I drove right by, and another a couple of km further along, that bolted down the road and over a steep bank towards the river. Finally, at was nearing dusk, and it was time to head home.

Robert once again got some drone footage of both the West And East forks of the Anderson, and will post them up once he gets them uploaded. I have a few of my usual phone shots:

East fork of the Anderson

Late afternoon on the way out

A roadside waterfall turning to ice!

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.d768c35284ac3255bb98fe2330985915.JPGIMG_0572.thumb.JPG.b594dd26a86c1a8c3aed19626d2b71ba.JPGIMG_0560.thumb.JPG.12f3c3885dee0e26b9323179fd1765ea.JPG

• Upvote 2

Wonderful hike and wonderful photos. All that water and forest makes for prime habitat. Now I'll google 100 Mile Wilderness :-)

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 1:53 AM, BC witness said:

@BlackRockBigfoot & @Kiwakwe, it's great that you both got out into some very interesting territory, and thanks for the great pics.

I got away for a full day today, with my daughter Andrea and Robert J., to the Anderson River watershed, a tributary of the Fraser River. It's quite a bit further than my other recent outings, so we were out the door at 5AM to get to the area at sun up, making for a long day. We first went off pavement at a logging road just beyond the Alexandra Bridge, which took us in to the west branch of the river, towards a sighting from 1997 which is well documented by Thomas Steenburg as the Mike McDonald sighting. We were able to find the spot thanks to the description in the report, and Thomas' previous trip there with Robert a few weeks ago. The trail from which Mike saw the Sasquatch across the river is now quite overgrown, so our short hike to the actual spot required some scrambling and bushwhacking, but was worth the effort to see the area, and visually confirm his report of the circumstances.

By the time we got back to our vehicles, we were happy to climb in and crank up the heaters, as the day was quite cold, -2C, in spite of the clear blue skies. We continued a few more km along the now narrow power line trail, till we found ourselves looking into a deep canyon, where the east fork of the Anderson flows in from the south. There was a road visible below us on the other side of the canyon, but no connection to it that we could find from our side, in spite of the fact that Robert's Back Road Map Book for the region showed a route there. That book did show another road off the main highway into the East Anderson, so we backtracked 30km to HWY 1, headed east to the outskirts of the village of Boston Bar, and found that road. A few km in, we found a nice pull out on the side of the logging road, sheltered from the cold wind, and stopped for lunch. Rested and re-energized, we continued up that road to eventually reach a locked gate about 25 km in. Along the way, we saw 1 grouse, which flew off before I could get my 20G breakopen loaded, and 2 different black bears, one large one that Robert saw, while I drove right by, and another a couple of km further along, that bolted down the road and over a steep bank towards the river. Finally, at was nearing dusk, and it was time to head home.

Robert once again got some drone footage of both the West And East forks of the Anderson, and will post them up once he gets them uploaded. I have a few of my usual phone shots:

East fork of the Anderson

Late afternoon on the way out

A roadside waterfall turning to ice!

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.d768c35284ac3255bb98fe2330985915.JPGIMG_0572.thumb.JPG.b594dd26a86c1a8c3aed19626d2b71ba.JPGIMG_0560.thumb.JPG.12f3c3885dee0e26b9323179fd1765ea.JPG

Great summary and fantastic pics, @BC witness!

We just got in from checking out our current spot.  Called it a night relatively early, since we both suddenly and unexpectedly ran out of steam.  

No photos until we review IR footage tommorow.  No current activity either, although we did find a couple of pretty decent prints along with quite a few partials.  We actually saw our first deer up there after being in that area for several weeks now.  

We found the prints along an old logging road that the forest has reclaimed.  There were a few drag marks along the path and we found a clump of deer hair on a sharp part of a tree that had fallen across the path.  There were traces of what looked like boot prints, but they looked mostly wiped away by the drag marks.  The 15" bare footprints had obviously occurred after the drag marks.  My initial impression was that someone got a deer up there, drug it through of the woods, and whatever made the large bare footprints followed them out.  Maybe they followed the scent of the deer... although that is certainly conjecture on my part.  Those might not have even been boot prints, as they had been obscured by whatever had been dragged along the forest floor.

During a daytime scouting mission we ran into a guy who said that he came up there to 'hunt', which basically means to come out there and drink beer in a tree stand all day long since there are no deer and as a result no other hunters around.  There are at least a couple of deer up there, as we saw one tonight.  However, this region is crawling with deer right now.  It's strange that such a secluded area with ample food and water is barren of deer.  If there are any hunters, then they are very few and far between.  We saw the usual hunter detritus in one clearing at the base of the mountain, but the higher elevations are clear of the usual beer cans and whatnot.

In addition to the prints, we found quite a few X shaped tree 'structures' surrounding a bowl shaped little valley that is pretty well hidden up there.  I have never been a proponent of tree structures, since I always believed that they were the product of a mixture of overactive imaginations, a desperate desire for Bigfoot activity, and the randomness of the forest.  However, I only ever see these X shaped tree bends/breaks in this one area.  Following the path that I believed that the prints that I mentioned above took, we saw the first giant X right above where the tracks entered the treeline.  It might have been the product of coincidence, but it jumped out at me immediately.  You had to walk beneath it to follow the trail.  

Needless to say, I am re-evaluating my position in tree structures.  Like most of my other preconceived notions, my feelings on structures may have to change.

I can't deny that there is a pattern there.  Of what, I don't know.  As with anything, if you don't actually see it being made then you can't really definitively say what made it...if it was even 'made' at all.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

We got out to the edge of the 100 Mile Wilderness today for a hike up to a 2000' mountain with some beautiful views but no signs of any anomalous critters. It's nice older growth forest which has not been cut in over 100 years. (There is a new class b incident report from mid October about 45 miles away for the crow. Coincidentally, it is in exactly the same area I was eying up for a recon 2 weeks ago.) Saw 2 red fox, the first curled up roadside and apparently injured but we watched it trot off with a slight limp and quickly catch and eat something in a field--looks as if it'll manage.  

Passing one of the 3 ponds on the way up:

img%5D

img%5D

Distant sunbeamed obvious older cut:

img%5D

From the summit:

img%5D

Some great light and scattered snow from last night:

img%5D

50602175568_88cce746e0_k.jpg

Whoa!

That place is gorgeous.  Never heard of 100 Mile Wilderness before...

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic