Field trips 2.0

BC witness

BFF Patron

We are small in the vast reaches of the PNW.     BF  also has a small presence because of how few they are.    My thoughts watching the drone video was that there could be dozens of BF in the images in the shadows or under tree canopy.    With the drone moving,   you cannot even detect movement.   Perhaps a technique that might have a better chance of success would be to have the drone stop,  remain stationary for  a few seconds, then continue on to the next area.     If BF moves relative to the still forest, the movement would be seen,  the image could be enhanced,  and possibly get a look at a BF moving.   With the drone moving then everything in the image is moving and picking up surface movement relative to the forest is nearly impossible.     If anyone has an area of interest which can be observed from a high point of terraine,  large swaths of forest can be observed over long periods of time and possibly pick up some movement.   Drones make noise, do not fly very long,   so their chance for success is pretty limited.   

36 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

If anyone has an area of interest which can be observed from a high point of terraine,  large swaths of forest can be observed over long periods of time and possibly pick up some movement.   Drones make noise, do not fly very long,   so their chance for success is pretty limited.   

As a hunter, I do this all the time.  Even when I'm not hunting, I will come upon a clear cut and find a vantage point and just sit and observe for movement.  I rather enjoy the stalking of game more so than the actual killing.

IMG_20191011_113612245.jpg

@PNWexplorer, you and I think alike. The trouble in the heavily forested coastal mountains, is finding a high point that overlooks anything other than tree tops. I do glass the clearcuts when possible, of course.

@SWWASAS, Robert's recent flights have been mostly to get an overview, rather than to spot actual creature movement. I will be prevailing upon him to try some lower, slower flights over the creekbeds in the future. A situation that we have to be careful of, is that drones are illegal for spotting game while hunting in BC, so we can't have firearms/tags in the same vehicle as a drone.

Due to rising Covid cases in BC, all non-essential travel has been banned as of 3PM today, so I won't be posting any outings for at least a couple of weeks.

10 hours ago, BC witness said:

@PNWexplorer, you and I think alike. The trouble in the heavily forested coastal mountains, is finding a high point that overlooks anything other than tree tops. I do glass the clearcuts when possible, of course.

@SWWASAS, Robert's recent flights have been mostly to get an overview, rather than to spot actual creature movement. I will be prevailing upon him to try some lower, slower flights over the creekbeds in the future. A situation that we have to be careful of, is that drones are illegal for spotting game while hunting in BC, so we can't have firearms/tags in the same vehicle as a drone.

Due to rising Covid cases in BC, all non-essential travel has been banned as of 3PM today, so I won't be posting any outings for at least a couple of weeks.

How dare you make an educated decision on your well being and go off into the woods.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

As a hunter, I do this all the time.  Even when I'm not hunting, I will come upon a clear cut and find a vantage point and just sit and observe for movement.  I rather enjoy the stalking of game more so than the actual killing.

Ah, yes the stalk. Love stalking game when it is windy. If there are ridges I go there first and spot. I move slow maybe five to six steps at a time and stop and spot and do this all over . I will do it with the bow or my crossbow and my shotgun/rifle.  I will use the wind direction to my advantage. It is great when the animals do not even know that you are there in their homes. It is a challenge but I love the heck out it. But you better know the woods you are in when you do it. I keep my compass close and my GPS close and my map in my front pocket.

Natfoot

Good luck with your hunting. Hope that you see the big guy though. Just do not shoot it unless you know for sure that it is alone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NatFoot said:

How dare you make an educated decision on your well being and go off into the woods.

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Ah, yes the stalk. Love stalking game when it is windy. If there are ridges I go there first and spot. I move slow maybe five to six steps at a time and stop and spot and do this all over . I will do it with the bow or my crossbow and my shotgun/rifle.  I will use the wind direction to my advantage. It is great when the animals do not even know that you are there in their homes. It is a challenge but I love the heck out it. But you better know the woods you are in when you do it. I keep my compass close and my GPS close and my map in my front pocket.

The most fun is Turkey hunting.  Being in the woods in the Spring, being totally camouflaged and sitting dead still for hours, I've seen some cool things.  I've had deer walk up to me and sniff my boot, and birds land on the brim of my hat.  Seen a cougar chasing a deer through the timber.  That was awesome and terrifying at the same time.

@PNW - What camo were you wearing? I'm not a hunter but I do enjoy trying to lure in game while sitting quietly. I use ASAT's leafy suit and am partial to that although I also have Sitka's Subalpine and it works well.

19 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

The most fun is Turkey hunting.  Being in the woods in the Spring, being totally camouflaged and sitting dead still for hours, I've seen some cool things.  I've had deer walk up to me and sniff my boot, and birds land on the brim of my hat.  Seen a cougar chasing a deer through the timber.  That was awesome and terrifying at the same time.

The most fun about turkey hunting is calling them in and watching the fluff out and do their figure eight walk. But yea, for some reason bigfoot seems to like turkey season. You do get to see allot of animals while turkey hunting though. It is very weird since I hardly wear any scent-loc clothing while turkey hunting. It is mostly sitting in front of trees and blending in.  I usually wear clothing in TrueTimber HTC Green which works ok.

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

@PNW - What camo were you wearing? I'm not a hunter but I do enjoy trying to lure in game while sitting quietly. I use ASAT's leafy suit and am partial to that although I also have Sitka's Subalpine and it works well.

I've got a Realtree pattern coat I bought probably 20 years ago, Realtree pants, gloves, facemask, and hat.  The big thing is covering up all exposed skin and staying motionless.  Turkeys see motion incredibly well but have very little sense of smell.

Very cool find! I've found a few petroglyph sites up here but no semblance of the hairy man. Saw a good bit in the SW that are representative of a bi-pedal and often clawed creature. I can't imagine that's the best the artist could have come up with for wings if that was indeed what was intended. I'd lean toward hair too but I don't know squatch about it.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Hmm. Long neck?

All of the anthropomorphic figures had long necks...with many of them having disproportionately small heads.

1 hour ago, Kiwakwe said:

Very cool find! I've found a few petroglyph sites up here but no semblance of the hairy man. Saw a good bit in the SW that are representative of a bi-pedal and often clawed creature. I can't imagine that's the best the artist could have come up with for wings if that was indeed what was intended. I'd lean toward hair too but I don't know squatch about it.

I have usually seen birds depicted like this...

That looks like feathers.  The figure that I posted looks like it has long hair all over its body.  

b4ac079db4a119f81eb7361d03c4a374.jpg

2 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

We went out today to scout an area that we found described in an old rock climbing blog that has been dormant since 2013.  

The gentleman who made the blog named one of the areas that he mapped "Sasquatch Boulders" and included a few first and second hand accounts of Bigfoot sightings in that immediate area that spawned that name.

While the area itself is interesting and may be worth investigating further, the really neat part of today was a side trip that we made to a local collection of petroglyphs found in this region.  While Native American rock art was just as widespread here as in the American southwest, it doesn't last as long here due to the weather.  So, when intact pieces are found it's very exciting.

This is a piece that they have labeled as the representation of some sort of birdman entity.  The gentleman who discovered and catalogued it thought that the scratches deliberately marked across the figure's body signified feathers.  

Like many other tribes, the Cherokee and Catawba have legends of Thunderbird, Eagle, and Raven. Raven is a shape shifter, which might have been the inspiration for this petroglyph. However, there isn't a birdman that I know of in local Indian folklore.  I am going through my copy of James Mooney's Myths of the Cherokee to see if anything jumps out at me.  

When I look at this, I don't see feathers, I see long strands of hair.  

Tsul Kalu is the name that the Cherokee gave to the hairy giants that they claimed lived in these mountains.  I think that this is more likely to be a representation of one of these 'slanted eyed giants' than a birdman.

36188.jpeg

agreed. I see no bird man there.

• Thanks 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic