Field trips 2.0

BC witness

3 hours ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Whoa!

You got both of them?

You are still out there for a couple of days, right?

Yes. Had quite the opening day. I decided to come back and spend the balance of week with family rather than at camp. Couldn't shoot another buck if I wanted and the odds of me seeing a black bear are slim. Another member of the group took a rushed shot and missed. She's probably in the Carolinas by now!

This way my deer are already at the processor and I'll have them back before I head home without waiting around for meat.

Successful trip.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NatFoot said:

Yes. Had quite the opening day. I decided to come back and spend the balance of week with family rather than at camp. Couldn't shoot another buck if I wanted and the odds of me seeing a black bear are slim. Another member of the group took a rushed shot and missed. She's probably in the Carolinas by now!

This way my deer are already at the processor and I'll have them back before I head home without waiting around for meat.

Successful trip.

Congrats, my man!

That's a little spot of sunshine in a gloomy month...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

Congrats, my man!

That's a little spot of sunshine in a gloomy month...

It was very nice. I had moments of service while I was up on the ridges. Other than that, I was completely disconnected from Sat AM to today at about 2pm. Didn't once check the news when I did have service...just checking in on the wife and kids...and bragging to my Dad about being the best whitetail hunter between the two of us! 

:D

Editing to add...we were pretty far out there and remote. I walked a lot of ground, ridges, hollers, etc. Had a moment of freakout when my headlamp went out in the pitch black opening morning as soon as my SxS ride dropped me off...but it was hard imagining a 6 to 8ft hairy man/ape running around in the woods, what it would act like, what it would do all day, etc.

I tried...but I struggled with it.

PXL_20201124_132802700.jpg

Edited by NatFoot
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NatFoot said:

It was very nice. I had moments of service while I was up on the ridges. Other than that, I was completely disconnected from Sat AM to today at about 2pm. Didn't once check the news when I did have service...just checking in on the wife and kids...and bragging to my Dad about being the best whitetail hunter between the two of us! 

:D

Editing to add...we were pretty far out there and remote. I walked a lot of ground, ridges, hollers, etc. Had a moment of freakout when my headlamp went out in the pitch black opening morning as soon as my SxS ride dropped me off...but it was hard imagining a 6 to 8ft hairy man/ape running around in the woods, what it would act like, what it would do all day, etc.

I tried...but I struggled with it.

PXL_20201124_132802700.jpg

I feel ya.  I have had those same thoughts...

1 hour ago, BlackRockBigfoot said:

I don't know if anyone else is out in the woods, but it is a freaking bright moon tonight.

I was just out front in the woods here grabbing a recorder. It IS bright, nice to see, been a rainy stretch in the NE corner. Heard a great horned owl tonight, the first in over a decade. Plenty of barred but the GH is a rarity in my patch.

Yep. It was gorgeous.  Lane County, outside Eugene,  Oregon, out in the Cascades. 

20201128_175141.jpg

Edited by Madison5716
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

Yep. It was gorgeous.  Lane County, outside Eugene,  Oregon, out in the Cascades. 

20201128_175141.jpg

Spooky moon!

It was so pretty! The full moon just lit every up. Night trips are kinda scary, but NorthWind's FLIR makes it okay. I'm saving up for my own. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wife and I took a walk to go check out a potential hunting area in George Washington Nat'l Forest. Mostly just a chance to get out, scout out the layout of the land, check for animal sign, etc.

Wanted to get an opinion on what we saw. My wife noted red berries along the trail, but did not see anything that resembled a berry bush. We then noted some branch breaks right at the water's edge. The area does have beaver, whitetail, and black bear present. BRFO also turns up several reports in the area. No tracks found and the branch breaks look older but that would make sense to me as rifle season ended not too long ago and I found several empty shotgun shells (bird shot, we assume they were hunting squirrels) about 50yds away.

PXL_20201223_191817449.jpg

PXL_20201223_191836154.jpg

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, SwiftWater said:

Wife and I took a walk to go check out a potential hunting area in George Washington Nat'l Forest. Mostly just a chance to get out, scout out the layout of the land, check for animal sign, etc.

Wanted to get an opinion on what we saw. My wife noted red berries along the trail, but did not see anything that resembled a berry bush. We then noted some branch breaks right at the water's edge. The area does have beaver, whitetail, and black bear present. BRFO also turns up several reports in the area. No tracks found and the branch breaks look older but that would make sense to me as rifle season ended not too long ago and I found several empty shotgun shells (bird shot, we assume they were hunting squirrels) about 50yds away.

PXL_20201223_191817449.jpg

PXL_20201223_191836154.jpg

I had a possible sighting as a kid in GWNF.  

Beautiful country up there.

Welcome to the forums!

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic