Field trips 2.0

BC witness

On 11/24/2020 at 12:01 PM, NatFoot said:

PXL_20201123_164142336.jpg

Monster slayer...I know........

Stop it. Those are beautiful bucks. They'd taste great. And I love the rifle. What caliber is it?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Stop it. Those are beautiful bucks. They'd taste great. And I love the rifle. What caliber is it?

Thanks! They have. Had a tenderloin off of each - one tonight for a Christmas Eve snack/finger food.

Browning .30-06.

Edited to add - that's a Hill People Gear stock cuff. Loved it so much I bought another.

Edited by NatFoot

15 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Now I'll be lusting for a Browning 30-06.........

My favorite hunting rifle. I have the Browning in bolt action 30-06 as well and couldn't bring myself to take it out because the semi-auto is just my favorite. Happy to have both.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:52 AM, SwiftWater said:

Wife and I took a walk to go check out a potential hunting area in George Washington Nat'l Forest. Mostly just a chance to get out, scout out the layout of the land, check for animal sign, etc.

Wanted to get an opinion on what we saw. My wife noted red berries along the trail, but did not see anything that resembled a berry bush. We then noted some branch breaks right at the water's edge. The area does have beaver, whitetail, and black bear present. BRFO also turns up several reports in the area. No tracks found and the branch breaks look older but that would make sense to me as rifle season ended not too long ago and I found several empty shotgun shells (bird shot, we assume they were hunting squirrels) about 50yds away.

PXL_20201223_191817449.jpg

PXL_20201223_191836154.jpg

Hi SwiftWater, I believe those 'berries' are rose hips. A good vitamin filled winter food source. 

Edited by BigTreeWalker
  • Thanks 1

I got out last weekend to the general area I'd been poking about in. Nixed the atv rails-to-trails access point for another decommissioned railway leading into a nice boggy woodland after passing through a bit of blueberry barren. The beaver have dammed up the bridges-turned-culverts and raised the water up to the old rail road grade in places:

50760623551_7058392c77_b.jpg

Passing one of the many interconnected boggy beaver ponds:

50760622091_579c8fc3ca_b.jpg

Another, with fresh lodge renovations:

50760620841_6bf0fe111e_b.jpg

Followed some Bobcat tracks for a while:

50760626811_0ec2c4e83b_b.jpg

And in the barrens, a mysteriously appearing set of meadow vole tracks. I looked at these for a while trying to ascertain the critters arrival at this spot. It's not quite the vanishing BF trackway in snow but interesting to speculate an answer. There was no other sign of tracks anywhere, no lightly scuffed versions on crustier snow and no tunnels that the critter crawled up from, must be aliens:

50759897833_449dcb3a0b_b.jpg

I sliced out blocks with my knife surrounding the start point, expecting to see a tunnel, there wasn't one. ( I did fully encircle the entry point after this pic)

My only guess is when the snow fell it was about 15 degrees--light and fluffy. The tracks didn't look too old but the temp had risen to 32-33. Maybe the tunnel through fluffy snow had collapsed/compacted with the temperature upswing- IDK. 

50760624521_e75b0db2f9_b.jpg

Yeah, unrelated to anything but observation/speculation... but I like doing that.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, norseman said:

Or he fell prey to a hawk or owl? Maybe they got lucky with a clean pluck off the ground?

If I'm reading those tracks correctly, that is a starting point--out of the blue. If it was dropped, it came down gently. 

• Like 1

Now I am not but a hawk I think would eat it's prey on the spot and you would see the attack of the hawk. I am pretty sure that an owl would swoop up it's prey and eat it else where.  I have never heard owls while in the woods but have seen them fly through the woods. I have also been attacked by a hawk while putting up a tree stand and was able to hear it. So my opinion is that it might be an owl. But I would have to research it.

But that is some great woods where you are going into though @Kiwakwe. Is there allot of game out there ,like deer and elk?

12 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Now I am not but a hawk I think would eat it's prey on the spot and you would see the attack of the hawk. I am pretty sure that an owl would swoop up it's prey and eat it else where.  I have never heard owls while in the woods but have seen them fly through the woods. I have also been attacked by a hawk while putting up a tree stand and was able to hear it. So my opinion is that it might be an owl. But I would have to research it.

But that is some great woods where you are going into though @Kiwakwe. Is there allot of game out there ,like deer and elk?

I'd agree on owl or hawk if that was and end point but I believe that is a mysterious start--just dropped in and started off. Plenty of deer, no more elk or caribou here. Have tried reintroducing the latter without success. Both species fell prey to unregulated hunting unfortunately. There is talk of bringing in elk from the W.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:53 AM, Kiwakwe said:

I'd agree on owl or hawk if that was and end point but I believe that is a mysterious start--just dropped in and started off. Plenty of deer, no more elk or caribou here. Have tried reintroducing the latter without success. Both species fell prey to unregulated hunting unfortunately. There is talk of bringing in elk from the W.

I know you identified those tracks as a meadow vole, but is it possible they were three toed being from a small bird? That would solve the mystery. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, BigTreeWalker said:

I know you identified those tracks as a meadow vole, but is it possible they were three toed being from a small bird? That would solve the mystery. Just a thought. 

There is a definite tail drag mark so I assume a rodent. May not be meadow vole, they may have alternating footprints, have to look that up... field mice is the other option. I'd been seeing voles quite a bit lately and those tracks seemed larger than mouse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic