Field trips 2.0

BC witness

6 minutes ago, Doodler said:

IMG_20201119_081843822.thumb.jpg.49ec0a9837a8ebbcd5154dc7f5d004e5.jpg

This is a photo from the areas in which I hunt, in an area with historical sightings and myths reaching back centuries, and not far from another area where a buddy saw what can only be described as a bigfoot while spring turkey hunting. It stalked within a few yards of him as he called turkey, and when he moved, it stood up and strode off with nary a sound. There's nothing to the photos other than a field of trees. Ain't they pretty? The tree I'm sitting in has been productive for me over the last 4 years, with a deer a year taken from it, and another dozen a year seen from it, so it's my favorite spot. General consensus is the deer population has plummeted over the decades, and hunter numbers/hours in this area are down. You see this reflected in camps with one deer hanging instead of 8, but some of that could be old timers cherry picking the best years (or those good years could be the cause of the current low population). It would take historic reports to determine harvest numbers.

That said, no footprints noticed over the years, but I've heard branches break, trees fall on a dead still day, heard what sounded like conversation with no visible people, things like that. Nothing definitive. Unless you count footsteps that turn out to be a squirrel rummaging the underbrush.

In the early part of the 20th century, the government reclaimed a bunch of farms all along the southern tier of western New York State. They planted pole pines by the hundred acre, and left other areas to wild-grow mixed hardwoods. The pines are often in regular shapes, rectangles, pines planted in rows. Some of the pines were planted too close together and have stunted growth because of it. When they thinned the pines or got the spacing right, the pines grew tall and straight. When they didn't, the pines interlace their branches and create a wall of annoyance. The nice thing about these dense pines is the deer love it. The bad thing about these dense pines is the deer love it. Either way, you don't sneak there, but the open hardwoods are easy to traverse. The deer traverse all of this with little problem, and often skirt the dense stuff picking a common trail in and out. Pretty nice of them.

IMG_20201219_091349189_HDR.thumb.jpg.209f8bb64c405bdac21b9d3962b1466a.jpg

Water comes from ponds, springs, swamps and creeks are plentiful, loads of small game, fish, oak and other nut trees, and some farms. Population density is low, but you're never more than 2 or 3 miles from an occupied house or road I'll bet.

We get out from 10 to 20 days a year, in two hours before sunrise, out at sunset.

IMG_20201119_081843822.jpg

Looks like a beautiful area!

• 2 weeks later...

This guy passed me on the way to the coast on I90. He calls his rig Ruguru. Its the white bronco. (Correction Jeep)

He had Sasquatch all over rig and was advertising his podcast.

Wandering Ways

Plates were from Montana. Anyhow I started listening to his podcast. Cool!

Im at Yakima and gonna check out the Oak Creek feeding station for Elk and Bighorn next!

85FAEC39-8457-468C-B700-98E4A205E78F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, norseman said:

This guy passed me on the way to the coast on I90. He calls his rig Ruguru. Its the white bronco.

He had Sasquatch all over rig and was advertising his podcast.

Wandering Ways

Plates were from Montana. Anyhow I started listening to his podcast. Cool!

Im at Yakima and gonna check out the Oak Creek feeding station for Elk and Bighorn next!

85FAEC39-8457-468C-B700-98E4A205E78F.jpeg

Wouldn't have pegged you as a right lane, behind the semi, cruiser.

:D

Saw almost as many elk in Packwood as I did at the feed station over at Naches. White pass was just wet. No snow on road.

Nat, makes sense! I drove truck for 33 years!

BAFFB469-C1F6-4186-8C7B-26D34A4B99E1.jpeg

AEB7A495-B615-44AD-BFDD-89DEF3CD855C.jpeg

6B78E89C-0AD9-43C4-91CF-26DCE71D1E10.jpeg

F4AA1D0D-2C41-4C68-A475-5DD7B04FB9EE.jpeg

B41569BB-723D-49FC-A6E1-26680561AD59.jpeg

97D05780-68BE-4A28-858D-776FB3163C1D.jpeg

1453886A-CA67-4433-AEE6-3E3950ECFB13.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

My house when I left. 48 and raining on west side. Feels like spring.

8CFABAE7-B451-41B9-95CA-8AEBB8C16ADB.jpeg

We just had our 1st snow of the winter this week on Monday. Light dusting below 1000'. Typical west side winter. Probably a little milder than usual. Got down to freezing only a few times. 

Always have to watch out for elk when you drive through Packwood. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, norseman said:

My house when I left. 48 and raining on west side. Feels like spring.

8CFABAE7-B451-41B9-95CA-8AEBB8C16ADB.jpeg

Beautiful home and I can picture a wood stove burning away on a cold winter's night. 48F....lucky guy.

• Thanks 1

Going fishing with my cousin for two days. Land lock silvers at Riffe lake by Morton Wa. And then sturgeon fishing on the Wilamette in Oregon. After that I think I will go check out our family name on the logging plaque at Forks, Wa. I’ve got a Washington cougar tag. Might do some calling....

Stay tuned!

• Upvote 2

Caught 7 small silvers. They kinda looked like rainbow but more pale.

Riffe lake

Wash Fish and Game inspected the boat....🙄

70EA993A-FF2F-44EC-A349-DAA41B9EF8BD.jpeg

Water was choppy. My back is toast.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, norseman said:

Caught 7 small silvers. They kinda looked like rainbow but more pale.

They call them "Kokanee" here. What's the daily and bag limit?

1 hour ago, langfordbc said:

They call them "Kokanee" here. What's the daily and bag limit?

Same on the upper Columbia.

5 fish per day.

An interesting tidbit. On the way to Riffe lake we drove through Elbe, Wa. Didnt they find tracks on the beach close to Elbe?

The town has a bunch of old train engines and cabooses. Pretty cool!

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic