Field trips 2.0

BC witness

9 hours ago, norseman said:

The Roxor did good, but would like a lift, better tires and lockers. That little diesel just chugs along and sips fuel.

1A90C288-460F-4FC6-A2E3-66A5998A6D07.jpeg

Roxor??  I am so jealous!  I looked at those when I was shopping for a new UTV and LOVED the concept of a mini-Jeep with a diesel.  But, they were just too big for the places I wanted to go.  Still, very cool vehicles.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

Roxor??  I am so jealous!  I looked at those when I was shopping for a new UTV and LOVED the concept of a mini-Jeep with a diesel.  But, they were just too big for the places I wanted to go.  Still, very cool vehicles.

Thanks! But I think I can go places those Rangers cannot go. They were getting high centered in the snow. I never did.

What do you have?

Here is a comparison. The CJ2a is smaller.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-mahindra-roxor-compares-to-a-1948-willys-1826771078

Went out today to a new area to try and find some mushrooms.  This area is known as McCroskey State Park right on the border of Washington and Idaho.  Not a particularly remote area, but I recall a rather large clear cut area that would make for an excellent spot for morel mushrooms.  It's also about 7 miles as the crow flies from the Bigfoot sighting at my dad's property, and about a mile from a friend who lives off-grid and shot and killed a wolf/coyote hybrid.

Weather was a perfect 65 degrees with light wind.  

IMG_20210428_135841639_HDR.thumb.jpg.d3cf31d57271e85ecaad1ac03d31e992.jpg

Found some likely wolf tracks, but they were a little small, so either another hybrid, or someone's dog.  But, no human tracks in the area I was in.

IMG_20210428_142502700_HDR.thumb.jpg.8fae38763432a24b8d35408e39be497a.jpg

No luck finding mushrooms, or shed antlers, or Bigfoot sign out in the clearcut area, so headed up into the timber and found some interesting things.

This looked like a makeshift shelter that was created by pushing a few trees over.  But, no tracks or hair found.

IMG_20210428_144804117.thumb.jpg.f55dd2729ce91b629c116043181910dd.jpg

This was another bedding spot created by a downed tree that was used by something big, but again, no hair or or other sign.

IMG_20210428_145154967_HDR.thumb.jpg.a6d8d2b959db51aea6aff8e037a2f57b.jpg

Found some Trillium flowers, which are a sign of morels nearby, but no morels.  Still, great day in the woods.

eXC4iYsuQ6iaLHvUDffokA.thumb.jpeg.129d8b720e05e391d0e2f1b6c486a621.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, norseman said:

Thanks! But I think I can go places those Rangers cannot go. They were getting high centered in the snow. I never did.

What do you have?

I went with the Honda Pioneer 500 since it is under 50" wide and is legal to go around the USFS gates with.  Mine has a little lift and bigger tires.

IMG_20200718_120759273.thumb.jpg.5734baad91d687c8a97f3bc7caee6d31.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

I went with the Honda Pioneer 500 since it is under 50" wide and is legal to go around the USFS gates with.  Mine has a little lift and bigger tires.

IMG_20200718_120759273.thumb.jpg.5734baad91d687c8a97f3bc7caee6d31.jpg

We cannot go around USFS gates here with an E bike! 

Anyhow, I had a Ranger and it ate CV joints, tore the steering box off the frame and basically I tried destroying the thing I guess. I ran tracks on it in winter but they were factory Polaris tracks. Dunno. I sold it. The Roxor has been rugged with Dana 44 copy axles underneath.

I think Honda has a automotive transmission instead of a CVT snowmobile clutch and that’s a huge plus. But it looks tippy. I would be worried about that narrow stance on my ranch.

EFA4EC28-A23E-4D54-BED9-0FA571E20109.jpeg

The P500 has some great strengths, but some significant shortcomings as well.  First, at 33 hp, it has about half what the RZR570 has.  Top speed is around 42 mph.  Second, it has very little articulation in the suspension, which makes it ride rough and be pretty tippy.

I tipped mine over on the 2nd or 3rd time I took it out.  This is after we just got it back off it's side...

N6aP1baARbu2eCF-vpXe6A.thumb.jpeg.69e92bbe90483ebc7a8a5eb4a6eaa22a.jpeg

But, it is a great little mule for the deep woods and has been trouble-free.  Plus, it was relatively dirt-cheap at $9800 brand new.

The RZR570 was more comfortable and more fun, but the horror stories of Polaris reliability, plus the issues with my Sportsman 500 HO that I sold to help buy the Pioneer made me unable to buy another Polaris.  Can-Am has a 50" UTV, but it was almost two feet longer than the Honda, making it nearly useless on the ATV trails around here, and it was $14k.

I may upgrade to the Honda Talon 2-seater in the future, and get another ATV for the woods trails.

The Talon is a sexy machine!

2000000001.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Thanks 1

I agree with Polaris reliability being junk. Had better luck with Yamaha and Honda stuff in the past.

I second that opinion on Polaris non-reliability. I drove the 6 seat Crew model for Bill Miller's tour company for 3 summers, and Thomas drove both that and the 6x6 they had for a few years, and both units gave Bill lots of grief. I broke down twice on tours, once with a blown drive belt, and once with a blown front diff. That's kind of embarrassing when you're carrying paying customers! Fortunately, both times I was within 5km of pavement, and in cell range to call Bill for rescue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

I second that opinion on Polaris non-reliability. I drove the 6 seat Crew model for Bill Miller's tour company for 3 summers, and Thomas drove both that and the 6x6 they had for a few years, and both units gave Bill lots of grief. I broke down twice on tours, once with a blown drive belt, and once with a blown front diff. That's kind of embarrassing when you're carrying paying customers! Fortunately, both times I was within 5km of pavement, and in cell range to call Bill for rescue.

Oh yes! I remember!

Stuck....again. The road sluffed off the edge and I was stuck in the bar ditch. Lion crick road. Also explored two mouth crick. On the east side of Priest lake.

Lion crick road the state put some ridiculous water bars across the road. Like a million of them. The uphill side was the short side of the berm. Guess I should have hit em dead square.

Any how I hiked out 8 miles down to the Lionhead state park and then started hiking south to Coolin before a Construction crummie picked me up. Otherwise I would still be hiking.....

Gonna ride back up tomorrow with a tow truck out of Priest river. AAA told me to get lost.....

• Haha 1

****, that sucks! I found a local area volunteer 4x4 rescue and recovery group that helps out in cases like this where I go; maybe there's something like that where you are? Tow companies around here want a grand or more to go out on the logging roads, especially if they're cross ditched. Good luck tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Estimated 500 bucks outta Priest River. Could be worse. Once my dodge is set up I will be self recovering hopefully.

98BAD71A-4A83-4A34-AB2E-AB0B045B6566.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, norseman said:

Stuck....again. The road sluffed off the edge and I was stuck in the bar ditch. Lion crick road. Also explored two mouth crick. On the east side of Priest lake.

Lion crick road the state put some ridiculous water bars across the road. Like a million of them. The uphill side was the short side of the berm. Guess I should have hit em dead square.

Any how I hiked out 8 miles down to the Lionhead state park and then started hiking south to Coolin before a Construction crummie picked me up. Otherwise I would still be hiking.....

Gonna ride back up tomorrow with a tow truck out of Priest river. AAA told me to get lost.....

Lol.  You are probably blacklisted by AAA for life at this point!

Good to see you out and about!

• Haha 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic