Field trips 2.0

BC witness

He snatch blocked the front and straight pulled the back and pulled me sideways outta the ditch. Impressive!

2nd pic is the great job they did with the water bars. Your staying hard to the uphill side for certain. 

916D2214-069A-4B86-8CFD-9441C7F29F2D.jpeg

F35F4BFE-9557-456F-8941-7453DD3439BC.jpeg

My rig died a couple years ago, while hunting, about 5 miles off the nearest blacktop. I walked out after dark until I got cell service and a buddy came and got me. The next day I finally found a tow company that would go out there. When we got back to my rig it started right up. Go figure. Anyway, still had to pay for the tow that didn't happen. The driver was great and didn't specify where exactly he went to get me. So insurance would pay the $300 for the tow. 

The problem was an intermittent computer problem. That cost me about $1500 to fix. 

That was an impressive way to get your rig out of the ditch without dragging it along the bank! 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

My rig died a couple years ago, while hunting, about 5 miles off the nearest blacktop. I walked out after dark until I got cell service and a buddy came and got me. The next day I finally found a tow company that would go out there. When we got back to my rig it started right up. Go figure. Anyway, still had to pay for the tow that didn't happen. The driver was great and didn't specify where exactly he went to get me. So insurance would pay the $300 for the tow. 

The problem was an intermittent computer problem. That cost me about $1500 to fix. 

I had 2 $3000.00 computers go out in that Dodge. One was the drive train, it stranded me in my barnyard. The other was my info screen. Which runs the radio, heat-ac, navigation, etc.

Dodge wouldn’t warranty either one and I was under the 7/70. Bunch of horse manure!

58 minutes ago, norseman said:

I had 2 $3000.00 computers go out in that Dodge. One was the drive train, it stranded me in my barnyard. The other was my info screen. Which runs the radio, heat-ac, navigation, etc.

Dodge wouldn’t warranty either one and I was under the 7/70. Bunch of horse manure!

Had you modified your truck in some way that gave them an out?

This is my favorite YouTube channel.  Matt is a great guy and I've visited his shop and hung out with him and his employees.  Great people.  They specialize in pulling out tourists from California that drive rental cars into the boonies.

• Upvote 1

Polaris gets a well-deserved bad rap in many respects, but my RZR-S is a mountain goat (it is tricked out for rock climbing - UHMW skid plate under entire frame and A-arms, lifted 2", bead locks, disconnected sway bars, rear springs to front, new springs rear).

2012_04_06 1.jpg

2012_04_06 13.jpg

2012_04_06 16.jpg

2012_04_06 20.jpg

2012_04_06 28.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 9-dot said:

Polaris gets a well-deserved bad rap in many respects, but my RZR-S is a mountain goat (it is tricked out for rock climbing - UHMW skid plate under entire frame and A-arms, lifted 2", bead locks, disconnected sway bars, rear springs to front, new springs rear).

2012_04_06 1.jpg

2012_04_06 13.jpg

2012_04_06 16.jpg

2012_04_06 20.jpg

2012_04_06 28.jpg

Looks like fun!

Got up to the North Maine Woods last weekend, 5.5hr drive for a short stay. Did a topping off of fluids in the Rover day before heading up, had hoped to adjust the valve lash but got a thunderstorm with hail instead. Anyway after a 2.5 hr trek up I-95N to Millinocket, filled up the tank, took off to a thwapping top end...hmmm

Lost a valve cap it had gotten so sloppy, it didn't get far, had spares anyway. 45 min layover to do what I should have made time for prior to getting underway. Happily purring afterwards. Gotta love the simplicity of an all mechanical diesel.

Passing Katahdin and a bit of snow from the night before:

51162416421_2f9ce2ac7a_h.jpg

Scanning for tracks along the way. This road was clear but spent a lot of time cutting the tops of blow downs with the Sven saw to allow passage.

51162665383_818b1c28c2_h.jpg

The cribworks, I've rafted through, can't tell from here but there's a 4-5' drop in the mix, good fun:

51163206034_e5fba083aa_h.jpg

And some flatter stuff

51163527365_95def7e687_h.jpg

My favorite camp spot had 4 large trees come down across the entrance, managed to fit between. Need that battery powered chainsaw! 

Years ago I had some large critter stomp at the head of my tent here, knocking over an 8-10" dead snag on the way out of camp

51163210084_81fb29cbd0_h.jpg

51163618960_eae7a1dbfa_h.jpg

51162509356_f7e701dfd7_h.jpg

Heard a few coyotes, barred owls, Kingfishers and the above gaggle, otherwise quiet night. I forgot my recorder!

Following day, patrolling shoreline for tracks, oodles of moose everywhere, found coyote and fisher here, no big guy.  Water is surprisingly low for Spring:

51161757467_28f24b8463_h.jpg

51163207389_d2d60bbe24_h.jpg

We only saw one young moose on the way out. Good showing of bald eagles though.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Looks like a great outing! I'm surprised by the lack of leaves on the deciduous trees; here on the west coast of Canada they've been fully leafed out for a couple of weeks already. What's the elevation where the photos were taken?

7 minutes ago, BC witness said:

Looks like a great outing! I'm surprised by the lack of leaves on the deciduous trees; here on the west coast of Canada they've been fully leafed out for a couple of weeks already. What's the elevation where the photos were taken?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin

The mountain in the picture is like 5200 ft. 

Heading out to set up for our weekend investigation workshop here in WV the mountians are full of leaves and the forest floor has come to life. Gonna be a good weekend.

0505211647_HDR.jpg

0505211646.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic