Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Just go into town. You'll probably see a few there. 😊

Mighty close to my stomping grounds. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, norseman said:

I’m off tomorrow to scout for Elk around Packwood!

Assuming we will get some pics?!?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BigTreeWalker said:

Just go into town. You'll probably see a few there. 😊

Mighty close to my stomping grounds. 

I have! Thats why I bought a western tag!

Well help a brother out! Just kick me your rejects! 5x5 works fine!😉

6 hours ago, NatFoot said:

Assuming we will get some pics?!?

Oh yes! Hopefully get some nice views of Rainer!

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Well help a brother out! Just kick me your rejects! 5x5 works fine!😉

I almost hit one of those on my way out of Packwood a few years back! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigTreeWalker said:

@norsemandid you see any elk?

That whole country is beautiful. Looking towards Mt Adams is the Dark Divide country. 

No. But we saw lots of sign.

First night was at the Soda springs horse camp. All of the trails were marked no bikes. So I found a unmarked trail and rode it until I couldn't. I was suppose to be on Cortwright ridge but was on Carlton ridge. My buddies dad used to pack horses in there. I texted him the next day from Packwood and realized my mistake.

We got up and went north out of Packwood up Skate crick to Horse crick and then up to Lookout mountain. Dense. Brushy. Bad road up Horse crick. Found one really good Elk trail. Cut cat tracks up there too…

Skate crick itself was a mad house of people all camped along that crick.

We left and went back by Soda springs to Cortwright ridge. Right spot this time. Cut alot of elk sign up there but again only on trail and it goes right into the William O Douglas wilderness. Cant take bikes in….

Today we did a morning ride out to the end of the road and then packed up and headed back over white pass. I wanted to check out Bethel ridge and show my wife where we hunted last year. Im so in love with that Rattlesnake country. Its home. Bull pine, Doug fir, tamarack, grassy meadows, you can see out of the forest. Tons of elk sign in there. Ate lunch and did another bike ride at McDaniels lake. Really sucks this area is spike only. 

That Gifford Pinchot forest around Packwood isn't being logged. Not that I saw. Yes there is elk there but you could be 20 ft from one and not have a shot. Rainer views are beautiful. But not in love with what I saw there. Not sure what Im gonna do yet.

No Bigfoot activity. Last night the Varied Thrush were calling. Swainson thrush are my favorite. 

• Upvote 2

These photos do not do Rainer justice. Its just a massive volcano that seems to dominate the skyline were ever you go. Ive spent most of my life in the Rockies. And the Rockies are impressive. But they dont hold a candle to that it. Usually though you cant see it through the fog and rain.

We just got home and its smoke filled sky here from all the fires. It was clear in the cascades which was nice.

11 hours ago, norseman said:

No Bigfoot activity. Last night the Varied Thrush were calling. Swainson thrush are my favorite. 

Swanson thrush are also my favorites. How they sit in the treetops in midsummer and sing their song. 

The rattlesnake area has a lot of bigfoot history. My grandfather used to hunt the area in the 50's. I never thought to ask him if he or my great uncles experienced any odd occurrences. Opportunity lost. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, norseman said:

Usually though you cant see it through the fog and rain.

Well there is that saying: If you can see Rainier it's gonna rain in 24 hrs. If you can't see, it it IS raining. Guess they don't call it Rainier for nothing ;)

• Haha 3

Got back a little while ago from a hike and bushwhack.  Went to a location, near a small pond, where I found a large print last October.  Almost no reason for anyone to be in this area. 

I decided to press further and head toward a larger pond reasonably nearby so I bushwhacked to it.  At first, it presented itself as small pond with lots of vegetation. The further I went, the more it opened up.  I was jawstruck when I finally was able to stand near pondside and see it. Wow---absolutely beautiful.

As fate would have it, the property is privately owned although there were no posted or no trespassing signs in the area as I made my way there. I think this area has a lot of potential.  Private and no outsiders (like me). I'm going to find out who owns it and make a pitch to be able to spend more time there. We'll see.

194653830_20210728_135448(002).jpg

1391940789_20210728_134813(002).jpg

58204164_20210728_141744(002).jpg

• Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic