Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Went into the woods this week to pick huckleberries since they finally opened up the area where my favorite patch was located.

Still a pretty big fire in the area, but it is mostly contained and the wind was blowing most of the smoke away from our area.

U9OIQVsfSUy_Ul6V5go3ng.thumb.jpg.84c2e9862b67cd8e8ae06517d8d1c2f8.jpg

The woods are extremely dry!  The dust was over 8" deep in some spots along the road.  But, with a layer of a few inches of super fine dust on the road for miles, it made spotting tracks very easy.  Looked for BF tracks, but didn't see any.  Stopped a couple of times to check out interesting ones, but they were bear tracks in which the rear paw is placed half way into the track that the front paw left.  Going down the road, it looks like a giant human print at first.

In this photo, you can tell how deep the powder is and how big of a cloud it makes.  Riding ATVs in a group in this would be miserable, unless you were first.  If you look below my mirror, you can spot some deer and elk tracks.

M5cVYo9rR-63UXCfuQj-Kw.thumb.jpg.c5933e5572e685d43b8cd330759a5ebf.jpg

The huckleberries were absolutely perfect!  Great crop this year and bigger than last year.

QaHG8ENxSLyYyM2IzOaxLg.thumb.jpg.d02916c6c2d2a37a51685c890c7365c8.jpg

This patch is huge and has huckleberries as far as you can see.

ifX5GTHwSWKAwRYTWBrtyA.thumb.jpg.1a9cc8c683691d2b0feb5c3c0d6b636e.jpg

Girlfriend and I broke up last month, but I love her parents dearly.  I brought her dad with me.  He's an immigrant from Tijuana and loves to joke how he's built for picking crops, lol.

2aH-L9FRQC-GWhWJo0sqUQ.thumb.jpg.6e05aa0b55129a09d4e2f2abf273a5c3.jpg

Got done picking and stopped by Bald Mountain Lookout.  The lookout has been converted to a cabin that the Forest Service rents out.  I was surprised to see someone was staying in it with the fires in the area.

AYoOLVd5TXyujEqAXBiMlQ.thumb.jpg.8e70f156ab513a6b16ff3774365bb232.jpg

Last photo was of me getting a glamour shot of the 4Runner in front of the coolest public restroom in Idaho.

4gmKVvB0QZmaq3mXiO-EhQ.thumb.jpg.68ff4fc6a744a6fe893fd8136646007a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's difficult to comprehend the amount of dust residue. I can imagine it might be a challenge hiking in areas like there especially if you're hiking up a lot of that dust as you walk.

Do you have a "wet season" other than winter's run off and, if so, when does it begin?

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

It's difficult to comprehend the amount of dust residue. I can imagine it might be a challenge hiking in areas like there especially if you're hiking up a lot of that dust as you walk.

Do you have a "wet season" other than winter's run off and, if so, when does it begin?

The only roads that get that amount of dust are the main dirt roads with a lot of logging truck traffic.  They grind the dirt into the fine dust you see.  On secondary roads with no traffic, it's not bad at all.  This was the jeep trail up to the huckleberry patch...

IMG_20210802_153341733_HDR.thumb.jpg.8409a637d86b5b2eaf809fde15066a49.jpg

As far as a wet season, it used to be pretty rainy and wet from March to June, and again from October to November.  But, the past few years, we have had drought conditions with little snowfall in the mountains and not much rain in the spring.

I heard the other day that rattlesnakes have been spotted in my hometown 15 miles away.  That's never been seen before because it's been too cold for them at this elevation.  But the climate is changing for the worse around here.  Hopefully it starts transitioning the other way soon.  The winter I was born here, was the worst winter on record.  My mom was taken to the hospital on a snow machine because the roads were impassable by car.  It got down to -41 degrees officially, but some residents witnessed - 62 on their thermometers. 

https://judge3690.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/cold-anniversary-moscow-idaho-resident-recalls-1968-record-chill/

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

The only roads that get that amount of dust are the main dirt roads with a lot of logging truck traffic.  They grind the dirt into the fine dust you see.  On secondary roads with no traffic, it's not bad at all.  This was the jeep trail up to the huckleberry patch...

IMG_20210802_153341733_HDR.thumb.jpg.8409a637d86b5b2eaf809fde15066a49.jpg

As far as a wet season, it used to be pretty rainy and wet from March to June, and again from October to November.  But, the past few years, we have had drought conditions with little snowfall in the mountains and not much rain in the spring.

I heard the other day that rattlesnakes have been spotted in my hometown 15 miles away.  That's never been seen before because it's been too cold for them at this elevation.  But the climate is changing for the worse around here.  Hopefully it starts transitioning the other way soon.  The winter I was born here, was the worst winter on record.  My mom was taken to the hospital on a snow machine because the roads were impassable by car.  It got down to -41 degrees officially, but some residents witnessed - 62 on their thermometers. 

https://judge3690.wordpress.com/2013/02/06/cold-anniversary-moscow-idaho-resident-recalls-1968-record-chill/

The winter of 68 it took two D 8 cats to clear the county road the ranch was on. I wasn’t born yet. But the winter of 78 it got to -40 for a month!

• Thanks 1

Wonderful report, PNWex. I'd love to find a berry patch like that. On my outing last weekend, I found a few small wild strawberry patches, but the berries were long gone, and the leaves brown and curled up from the heat and drought of the last few months. We're now over 50 days with no rain, though some showers are predicted for the weekend.

BTW, I liked the look of the wheels on your rig, so I painted my scarred and blotchy old wheels a similar colour. I was going for bronze, but they came out looking more like copper.

IMG_0817.JPG

Edited by BC witness
add note and pic
  • Thanks 2

Wonderful photos of some truly wild country. My days of long hikes into the back country are about 20 years in the past now, so I'm glad others like yourself are taking those treks out there. I really miss those days, but now make do with 4x4 runs into the wildest places the truck will take me.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

Nice adventure area, I enjoyed my BFRO trip back that way in 2007, very smokey back then and active fires, that place looks like a tinderbox again but lake levels looked good from what I could see.  Did you see any moose, they were all over one of my campsites?  With a new knee it will be awhile before I build up to any trail work or trekking but I intend to rehab to do some.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2021 at 10:53 PM, Explorer said:

Two weeks ago, I spent a week in the High Uinta Mountains of Utah, camping and hiking with some friends.

It is a beautiful area with easy access to high alpine lakes from the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway (Hwy. 150)....

I miss those wide skies! Great shots and report.

On 8/9/2021 at 3:13 AM, bipedalist said:

Nice adventure area, I enjoyed my BFRO trip back that way in 2007, very smokey back then and active fires, that place looks like a tinderbox again but lake levels looked good from what I could see.  Did you see any moose, they were all over one of my campsites?  With a new knee it will be awhile before I build up to any trail work or trekking but I intend to rehab to do some.  

Bipedalist,

We did not see moose, but the couple camping next to us told us that moose came by camp when we were out hiking one of the days.

We camped right next to the Provo River, and my understanding is that moose like riverine regions, so not surprised they showed up.  

I wished I had seen them!  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BC witness said:

Good scouting. I agree, it's way too warm to take a bear right now.

Met one bow hunter in there. It was like 80 degrees over there! 😬

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic