Field trips 2.0

BC witness

18 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

I like the .45-70 govt shell for track size comparison!

That area looks about as "Squatchy" as it gets.

I love .45-70! Thx!

Its thicker than the area around Mt. Rainer. It befuddles the mind. We listened to the rage of the Pacific Ocean all last night. Sounded like a jet engine and we were a couple miles away glassing clear cuts. The beaches were packed.

• Upvote 1

A lifelong Nebraska plainsman, I've never quite found the necessity for a bear or moose rifle. Sadly, bison were eliminated three or four generations ago. I've long cast a desirous look upon a .45-70, I never quite convinced myself.

I do cherish my early 90s Marlin 1894 in .44 mag. For me, a do anything rifle, especially as I'm in the east of my state, and typical ranges rarely exceed 150 yards. And with its magazine capacity and ballistic performance, a stealthy "social" rifle, if must needs be.

• Like 2

Dinotopia, A Land Apart from Time: Hunting a T. rex

Artwork by James Gurney

When James Gurney's Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time first appeared in 1992, it was immediately hailed as a fully imagined world of the caliber of J. R. R. Tolkien's. Gurney's premise — of an undiscovered island where a race of mystical humans co-exists in harmony with intelligent dinosaurs — has been since reiterated over and over in numerous films and by scores of other writers. Now, Calla Editions brings Gurney's spectacular artistry to a new generation in this 20th anniversary edition. Digitally re-rendered from the original transparencies, Gurney's dramatic panoramas of Dinotopia and close-up character studies of its inhabitants — both human and saurian — take on new vitality. And as a tale of high adventure and discovery told as entries and sketches in journal form, Dinotopia presents a shipwrecked visitor's glimpse into an imagined social order, a culture, and even a cooperative interspecies technology that will satisfy lovers of fantasy and science fiction of all persuasions. This edition includes a new Afterword written by author James Gurney as well as a special section of behind-the-scenes studies and maquettes he used in developing his paintings.

FB_IMG_1629013288121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would love a .45/70 in a breakdown format. It would pack more nicely in a backpack. WWG makes a very nice one. A buddy of mine just dropped a large chunk of change on a CZ Checkmate Parrot race gun. Absolutely gorgeous (that's a matter of opinion), a real shooter, and turns heads. Everyone at the range wanted to know what it is. He was proud as a "peacock" shooting it.

As phenomenal as the Parrot race gun is, for twice the money you can get a Razorcat race gun designed for JJ Racaza.

https://www.limcat.com/razorcat

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/ak-co-pilot/

Edited by wiiawiwb
  • Like 1

Admin
18 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

This is in Timber Rattler territory

I hate snakes.

19 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Just got back from a bushwhack. I went to check on, then relocate, one of my trailcams. It had a few videos, one of a deer that walked right up to it, but nothing on two feet. 

I decided to move it further into the forest and the footing was difficult. Tall grass, ferns, and uneven ground made it impossible to see where you were stepping so it was slow going.  I was able to find two game trails which were in/along a small creek that is now dried up.  I put the trailcam near where the two meet. We'll see what happens.

This is in Timber Rattler territory so I decided to wear my snake chaps over my snake gaiters.  They both weigh nothing and are not clumsy at all. It was a breath of fresh air to not even think nor care where I stepped. I was protected to my hips. Bring 'em on!

1815832245_20210815_132624(003).jpg

857738666_20210815_134837(003).jpg

Double snake protection!!!

We tried to revisit an area in north Georgia where we have found a few pretty good prints.  There are some old logging or forestry roads that are no longer maintained and are being reclaimed by the forest.  They are no longer usable by vehicle, but are flatter and usually somewhat clearer than the surrounding forest, so deer and whatever made the prints that we found seem to use it as a corridor for travel.  

It seems that we have had a dryer summer than usual, but the roads were so overgrown it was insane.  The plants were past my head on most spots.  There were a couple of game trails going through it, but visibility was nil.  We were worried about snakes and even more so about ticks.  Going in a few dozen yards left us covered.  

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

That sounds like a promising area with the deer coming and going. Probably very few people ever go there  which works in your favor.

It's funny how I have yet to see on a tick on me this year. Plenty of tick bites over the years but so far so good. Stay safe!

I think it would be quite something to go sasquatching in BC, Alaska, Washington, or Oregon.  All beautiful areas that are remote and teeming with wildlife. Glad to hear you got out and enjoyed. Maybe next time those human and dog prints will be sasquatch prints. Thanks for allowing us into your world.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic