Field trips 2.0

BC witness

BFF Patron

Beautiful pics, monsoon season here, prob no moon till tomorrow night visible, too bad you didn't run the audio overnight

Targeting the Colockum herd. Where I hunting Elk last year is on fire outside of Yakima.

I probably talked to about 15 bulls saturday night and saw probably 10 head. One bull was within 100 yards and was just pounding on a tree. Definitely gets the heart pumping! 

New area, but looks similar as last year. Lots of basalt cliffs and meadows, but this place burnt around a decade ago. And spectacular views of the Cascades.

Opening day is Saturday!

747521E0-6690-4B31-8293-287730B37E74.jpeg

99CF19AD-B6C3-4466-B3A1-5F30F2C3E742.jpeg

• Upvote 2

@norseman

Are you going Bow or Rifle? I think that Bow would get your heart racing a little bit more. Since you are really getting personal with the creature and up close with a Bow. But nice pictures.

@wiiawiwb

That swampy stuff is real relaxing sometimes. I love going into those areas.  That stuff that spooks me is those very dark swamps. It just feel weird in those places. But you have some nice places. I am not hunting this year but might just go out and take pictures in my areas. I just want to capture the nature of this area. I just want to see what happens if I am not hunting and how the animals react. If I get some thing good I will post them.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

@norseman

Are you going Bow or Rifle? I think that Bow would get your heart racing a little bit more. Since you are really getting personal with the creature and up close with a Bow. But nice pictures.

@wiiawiwb

That swampy stuff is real relaxing sometimes. I love going into those areas.  That stuff that spooks me is those very dark swamps. It just feel weird in those places. But you have some nice places. I am not hunting this year but might just go out and take pictures in my areas. I just want to capture the nature of this area. I just want to see what happens if I am not hunting and how the animals react. If I get some thing good I will post them.   

Muzzle loader

Never muzzle loaded. But that sounds good. Have always been a Bow hunter. You have to win a lottery here in Michigan to hunt Elk. Out state Elk will cost allot for a tag and the to have the meet process just the same. So guess you are going on public land? yes. Hey, Good luck.  You live around some beautiful land.

Muzzle loader is my favorite way to hunt elk. My eyesight using open sights won't allow it any more and scopes are illegal in Oregon muzzle loader only hunts. I sure miss it.

3 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

Never muzzle loaded. But that sounds good. Have always been a Bow hunter. You have to win a lottery here in Michigan to hunt Elk. Out state Elk will cost allot for a tag and the to have the meet process just the same. So guess you are going on public land? yes. Hey, Good luck.  You live around some beautiful land.

Thank you! We are hunting up by Blewitt pass on forest service ground.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Muzzle loader is my favorite way to hunt elk. My eyesight using open sights won't allow it any more and scopes are illegal in Oregon muzzle loader only hunts. I sure miss it.

Here too. My eyes are going and I am considering lasik eye surgery.

On 9/27/2021 at 1:46 AM, norseman said:

Targeting the Colockum herd. Where I hunting Elk last year is on fire outside of Yakima.

I probably talked to about 15 bulls saturday night and saw probably 10 head. One bull was within 100 yards and was just pounding on a tree. Definitely gets the heart pumping! 

New area, but looks similar as last year. Lots of basalt cliffs and meadows, but this place burnt around a decade ago. And spectacular views of the Cascades.

Opening day is Saturday!

747521E0-6690-4B31-8293-287730B37E74.jpeg

99CF19AD-B6C3-4466-B3A1-5F30F2C3E742.jpeg

What tag do you have this year?

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Washington Eastern elk tag. 

I wasn't sure if they had "spike only" tags there. I've never understood that, but anyways.

Good luck. You know I'm rooting for you. Can't wait to see the pics of your big old grin in between a set of 6x6's!

2 hours ago, NatFoot said:

I wasn't sure if they had "spike only" tags there. I've never understood that, but anyways.

Good luck. You know I'm rooting for you. Can't wait to see the pics of your big old grin in between a set of 6x6's!

The eastern tag is spike only in most areas. Including where we are going. The Selkirk’s (home)are any bull but numbers are low and predators are high.

They do it as a way to decrease hunter success rate.

The western tag is 3 point or better. But two scouting trips were not enough to find any solid spots to go hunt.

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic