Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Congrats on the new job PNW.  Hope you can get out more often because of it especially because you're in the Bigfoot capital of the world. Happy hunting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Congrats on the new job PNW.  Hope you can get out more often because of it especially because you're in the Bigfoot capital of the world. Happy hunting.

It's ironic that I used to get 3 or 4 days off before, but now get more done with only 2 days off.  Before, I used to sleep until 2 or 3 in the afternoon.  Now, I am up well before noon, so have so much more daylight to get stuff done.

During the work week, I have plenty of time to do chores and even go shoot before work.  Before, it was wake up, shower, and get to work.

Hoping to get back in shape enough to do some deep off-trail exploring in order to discover some real BF sign and habitat.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

.......Saw tons of hunting camps being set up, though.  All filled with vehicles with plates from the county South of us, which is infamous for slob hunters and white trash.  Almost got ran off the road by one of them hauling butt in an F250 towing a trailer full of UTVs on a single lane dirt road with blind corners.  I was on my CB calling out mile markers and no response, then that idiot comes flying around a corner on my side of the road and flips me off........

A shitbag. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SB is right!

I just got a CB because logging trucks freak me out with the way they drive. They don't just THINK they own the road, they DO own the road. I kept the installation very minimal as I will soon be selling my truck for a Jeep and will move it to that.

• Upvote 1

Found this today while scouting for more firewood on the Newport property. Looks twisted. But old. Just curious.

7746F0AD-4E3F-43C5-85B8-4497C5A27C33.jpeg

0A7110DC-B1EA-44A3-AB77-FDD9CB377873.jpeg

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Found an old homestead site today.  Tons of cool machinery.  

IMG_20211012_151626737.jpg

IMG_20211012_151613666.jpg

IMG_20211012_152421347_HDR.jpg

The area around us is littered with stuff like this… old machinery and equipment, old homes quietly decaying deep in the forest.  

When a lot of the land here was turned into national forests, there were people living there tucked away in the hollers.  Some moved away per the government’s demands.  Some didn’t.

We find old stills fairly often.  

C397E156-7A87-42A3-94F0-80565E9C7859.jpeg

4B23BC35-2029-463B-BB45-DA7952DCDCF6.jpeg

A0EA5AD1-217E-4084-990D-A7656ABBEF84.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Found an old homestead site today.  Tons of cool machinery.  

IMG_20211012_151626737.jpg

IMG_20211012_151613666.jpg

IMG_20211012_152421347_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 1

@BC witness A few years ago, after the Eagle Creek FSR was re-opened, I drove all the way up to where the headwaters start, and camped overnight in the truck. It wasn't long before I was getting the feeling that I wasn't wanted in that area. I didn't find any tracks up there, but there was also no sign of any other creature either. No deer. No bears. No grouse. No nuthin'! It was so quiet the whole night that you could have heard a proverbial pin drop.

cmknight, I tried to go as far upstream as possible, hoping to reach the fairly large waterfall that's visible from parts of the valley, but the east bank road ends where my H3 is parked in the 8th pic down, and the west bank road ends at a very old washed out bridge. I believe that both spots are still a few km from the falls and the headwaters. The falls are just visible almost dead centre in this photo, appearing as a vertical white line in the dark green trees. Try zooming in.

I thought I had saved my Gaia maps track of this trip, but it's not on my phone, so i guess I didn't push the right button at the right time. It showed my progress up both sides of the valley very clearly.

IMG_0855.JPG

Edited by BC witness
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Great shots, cm. You definitely got further up the valley than i did. How long ago was this? We'll have to get together for another outing like our run up the ridge between Alluoette and Stave a couple of years ago. I now have a much more capable 4x4 than the Mitsu suv.

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic