Field trips 2.0

BC witness

The forest is very dense. A sasquatch could be standing 10' inside the treeline and be nearly impossible to see. Is that stretch of property publically owned or private?

That area is public land, but with access restrictions, as it's the water supply area for 2 local cities. As you can see from the pictures, logging contractors have access, and a pair of major cross country powerlines cut through it. The only road into there is gated 24/7, but myself, and apparently a fair number of other people, have the gate code. The lake and water supply equipment are strictly off limits, though.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, gigantor said:

I'm in West Virginia cruising to a fire watch tower at the top of the mountain, its very foggy here.

Did you drive around with a looped John Denver song: Take Me Home, Country Roads? I think it is the law there.

Washington State has a colorful history of Fire Lookout stations. Many women served as fire lookouts. The history is available on the USFS website.

Some cabins and lookout towers are available to rent for one night.  Details are on the 'PNW forest service rental program' on the USFS site.

Also: Washington State Fire Lookouts Open for Overnight Stays      www.trailchick.com.

A one night visit would be limiting for cameras and audio. The views are amazing.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't there a video or documentary quite a while back about a family holed up in a fire tower while some unknown creatures reportedly harassed them one night.?

On 11/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, BC witness said:

That area is public land, but with access restrictions, as it's the water supply area for 2 local cities. As you can see from the pictures, logging contractors have access, and a pair of major cross country powerlines cut through it. The only road into there is gated 24/7, but myself, and apparently a fair number of other people, have the gate code. The lake and water supply equipment are strictly off limits, though.

If that's the FSR I'm thinking of, members of the 4WDABC (4-Wheel Drive Association of BC) can apply for, and get the code. One of the stipulations, however, is that members cannot give out the code to other members/non-members. There is an application form that has to be filled out that helps with tracking who has the code and who doesn't. Members keep the area clean as well, so you're unlikely to find any dumped garbage, as on other FSR's.

Yes, that's the right valley. I'm a member of 4WDABC, but have a private code as a "wildlife researcher" for our small group of squatchers. The valley does stay clear of garbage, now that the gate is closed 24/7. That was not the case while the power line contractors were in there, and left the gate open all the time.

46 minutes ago, hiflier said:

Wasn't there a video or documentary quite a while back about a family holed up in a fire tower while some unknown creatures reportedly harassed them one night.?

Many years ago there was a story about harassment at a fire watch tower. I can't remember the location. I believe the support structure received very heavy thumping.

There goes the plan to wander around at night. Seeing cougar tracks around a fire watch cabin keeps you on your toes.

Edited by Catmandoo
more text

There have been a couple of reported stories of people being harassed while in watch towers, and at least 1 verified story of a woman going missing from one.

Admin
35 minutes ago, MagniAesir said:

There have been a couple of reported stories of people being harassed while in watch towers, and at least 1 verified story of a woman going missing from one.

I'll be well armed...

• Thanks 1

^^

West Virginia - quite possibly my retirement home in a few years!  Looks like beautiful country that has gotten more beautiful since the 70s.

Just got out of the woods and stopped at a mountain cafe.  I was filming a video for a review of my UTV when I had a strange incident.  Will get the video uploaded when I get home.

Having dinner at the cafe and found the menu ironic...

IMG_20211113_163034337.jpg

IMG_20211113_163046349.jpg

• Upvote 1

With all the flooding and mud slides in my area, who knows when the local back country will be open again.

Even our research area has been cut off by a mudslide.

Just hope everyone is staying safe

• Like 1

Yes, lots of people caught on backroads behind washouts and mud slides. I got through from Chilliwack yesterday just about an hour before they closed Hwy !. Both N and S Parallel roads were already flooded up to the bottom of road signs. It'll take days for Sumas Prairie to drain down enough to open the roads again.

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic