Field trips 2.0

BC witness

We don’t have 7 foot black bear here. (Inch of paw width equals 1 foot of Bear length rule of thumb) But here is a cheat sheet.

354913AD-EBE9-4F3E-99F6-BD0EA8CF4DB3.png

Yeah, I'm by no means an authority. That's also one the same images I referred to when trying to understand the differences.

He said something similar but it was: add an inch to the width of front paw for the squared size in feet. I feel like the paw was closer to 8" wide...

Terrace, BC is also the eastern end of Kermode, or "spirit" bear country. They're black bears with a recessive gene that makes their fur white (not albino).

Spiritbear.jpg

3 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Yeah, I'm by no means an authority. That's also one the same images I referred to when trying to understand the differences.

He said something similar but it was: add an inch to the width of front paw for the squared size in feet. I feel like the paw was closer to 8" wide...

Terrace, BC is also the eastern end of Kermode, or "spirit" bear country. They're black bears with a recessive gene that makes their fur white (not albino).

Spiritbear.jpg

We have a lot of cinnamon black bears here.

AC668E86-8B65-4B4C-939B-1387AB0A63DE.jpeg

5 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

.......He said something similar but it was: add an inch to the width of front paw for the squared size in feet. I feel like the paw was closer to 8" wide........

8" wide would make it a world record class black bear. I've seen black bears that squared over 7', and it's impressive. But Terrace is an area I would expect huge black bears.........and sasquatches, too.........

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Huntster said:

8" wide would make it a world record class black bear. I've seen black bears that squared over 7', and it's impressive. But Terrace is an area I would expect huge black bears.........and sasquatches, too.........

I think that's why he had such a hard time saying it was a black bear. Not saying it was in fact 8" wide, just that's what it seemed like.

And yep, I was keeping an eye out for more than just bear tracks!

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, norseman said:

Got away to go wolf hunting today.

Saw lots of loggers and deer hunters. And one spot were a rabbit got whacked.

Nada on the return calls. Hopefully I didn't spoil anyones deer hunt. 

Blazer did awesome. Other than constantly turning the hubs in and out. I forget how good a mechanical 4x4 actually is. It just chugs along.

C220A340-387C-4588-9560-ECB1466FA70A.jpeg

6C28F686-4B82-4C86-B5B6-5AE1B6A1F153.jpeg

9CB10157-381C-48B6-BE61-420C5A9825B9.jpeg

FCBD58C2-FF9E-4CE9-8042-39959CC31D65.jpeg

72960029-E1F0-474C-BE33-AF174E1DE6FD.jpeg

27E979ED-F442-4AC6-8261-5741D5C8A65F.jpeg

7143905A-8ACB-42BD-B90B-E2076898647F.jpeg

08C5ADD2-F720-4F36-A521-24AB1A20E7CD.jpeg

That K5 is awesome!  Came really close to buying one identical to it in the Tri-Cities a couple of years ago for $8k.  Was looking for a nice K5, Bronco, or Ramcharger.  Ended up just buying the new 4Runner to make life less dramatic, but will always love the 2dr full-size SUVs from the 80's and 90's.

Still no snow over here.  Got in a new woods carry pistol and took it to the gravel pit outside of town and had some fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_W5mrKBwus

• Like 1

Fresh snow on the ground as of last night so I'm heading out today for my first winter over night. And rifle season ends today in Maine with muzzleloaders starting in on Monday so hunter orange will be my fashion statement. 

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Checked the game cam. Only had pictures of me twice! Despite there being 5000 deer tracks surrounding it! One deer brushed it I think! Bunch ah horse manure.

I bought it with Cabelas points. A browning btc-4ex command ops elite

8093B762-359B-42D9-BDEB-37AEF33E4A68.jpeg

A14E8866-BD88-4830-92F3-2CDE16DFC820.jpeg

CC48CD09-C81E-47FA-9F4C-CA72DCC43383.jpeg

6710FAA0-B278-4E46-A0D1-BDEB2F38DFD0.jpeg

30A80132-1761-42ED-A9B0-B79745D5F988.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Admin
On 12/5/2021 at 6:47 PM, norseman said:

Checked the game cam

That K5 will go anywhere.

1 hour ago, gigantor said:

That K5 will go anywhere.

It’s locked up in the rear with something. Both tires turn. There is no switch. It’s a 14 bolt rear.

But I went back there without even turning the hubs in!

14 hours ago, norseman said:

It’s locked up in the rear with something. Both tires turn. There is no switch. It’s a 14 bolt rear.

But I went back there without even turning the hubs in!

That's because you have a locker for a rear end and not a posi. They are good for off roading./

With a locker both wheels will spin at the same speed. With a posi it allows the wheels to turn at differenthe speeds. When turning the inside wheel needs to turn slower than the outside

1 hour ago, ShadowBorn said:

That's because you have a locker for a rear end and not a posi. They are good for off roading./

I know that.

But it’s not a air locker or a electronic locker. I don’t have a air compressor. My Dodge I put ARB air lockers in both axles and put the big ARB compressor in. No switches.

Ita either some sort of GM Detroit locker or something mechanical that’s locked up all the time. Heck someone could of welded the spider gears. When I get some time I will drop the diff cover and take a look.

2 hours ago, Twist said:

Possibly welded? 

Could be!

22 hours ago, norseman said:

Ita either some sort of GM Detroit locker or something mechanical that’s locked up all the time. Heck someone could of welded the spider gears. When I get some time I will drop the diff cover and take a look

Norseman

That's exactly what it is. A GM Detroit locker.  You are driving a ck5 chevy blazer. 

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic