Field trips 2.0

BC witness

18 minutes ago, BC witness said:

I got out for a solo run this morning, with not much to show for it but negative intel. The plan was to check out several mountain drainages on the south side of the Fraser River, hoping to get to a small lake in one, and a spawning creek in another branch of the same river valley. The first 15 km of the old logging road to the lake were in good shape, just a little muddy from recent snowmelt, but the turn off to the lake had some huge puddles, and 1.5 km in, both sides of the road were eroded away by runoff, leaving a 3' wide stretch crossing a side creek, with a 3' drop into the creek on each side. Since that's a couple of feet wider than my H3, I turned around there and tried for the spawning channel on another branch of the valley a few km further in. At the turn off to that area, you cross a bridge over the main river, and just 20' over the bridge, the river had cut a new channel across the road, 6' deep and 20' wide, so that was another no go.  The next valley I wanted to check out is 20 km further east along Hwy !, so I back tracked to the hwy and reached that turnoff shortly. The first 2 km were plowed, but from there on the snow got deeper and slicker as the road climbs fairly steeply, and by km 4 I looked for a turn around and headed out again. by then It started to rain hard, so I headed west to home when I got back to pavement.

IMG_0914.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

On two wheels you probably could have made it!

Probably, but a 2 wheeler on ice is pretty sketchy. I've done it when i was young and limber, not too keen now that I'm old and brittle. :-(

43 minutes ago, BC witness said:

Probably, but a 2 wheeler on ice is pretty sketchy. I've done it when i was young and limber, not too keen now that I'm old and brittle. :-(

I was thinking like this!😉

• Haha 1

That was a sketchy area road you were on.  I would have done exactly what BC did...turn around and head home. 

It's one thing to forge ahead in the warm weather where you could camp out, then walk out, without batting an eyelash. In winter, or other adverse weather conditions, all bets are off at least in my world.  There is a thin line between fearlessness and foolheartyness.  You roll the H3 and now you're potentially in a survival situation.

It looks like a fantastic area to go sasquatching.

• 2 weeks later...

I try not to frequent outside cafes where foot risers at tables are deployed ;) If I was still a drinking man I wouldn't mind diving into a couple of those double IPA's though. Saw gator tail on the menu. Any good?

4 hours ago, hiflier said:

I try not to frequent outside cafes where foot risers at tables are deployed ;) If I was still a drinking man I wouldn't mind diving into a couple of those double IPA's though. Saw gator tail on the menu. Any good?

Didn't see that one.

There was 2 choices. This was the lighter IPA of the two. The skunk ape would grow hair on her chest. Double IPA.

https://abita.com/brews/andygator#

I meant gator tail as food, not an ale. Unless it was just a menu joke for tourists.

https://boggybottombbq.com/

"Sit down inside the brand new full service restaurant now open at Southport Park or dine outside for unforgettable lake views. Serving authentic Florida style southern fixins’ made from recipes handed down from generations. Try our gator tail, beef brisket, fried pickles or pulled pork nachos! Yummy! Relax in front of our lakeside patio with a nice cold local beer, our Swamp Ape Double IPA! Enjoy the restaurant everyday, 9am to 5:30pm."

Edited by hiflier

15 minutes ago, hiflier said:

I meant gator tail as food, not an ale. Unless it was just a menu joke for tourists.

Ah! We didn't eat there. Dont know. It was a great time and we saw a 12 footer! No skunk apes unfortunately.

BFD7B659-4088-42F1-B697-FEF3EAF1FFE4.jpeg

A2BAE11A-44DA-4F76-9DF5-679050FDE987.jpeg

8C3A066B-075A-4FB0-B7A6-86EC63850DC8.jpeg

6BEF797F-837A-4963-98FD-637600EA20E7.jpeg

4D9CCF04-C96B-41EF-8BE8-365D6AFD4799.jpeg

C930E643-D45D-4C34-AC0B-28E054AEF93D.jpeg

D4A0426B-1A4C-4030-BA41-06CF16E81A06.jpeg

1537E69A-504C-400D-BB0C-CFDF7A05DB47.jpeg

B3DCA257-5153-4FD7-A5E1-FCC5807DD1C6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have had a secret love affair with air boats since watching an early Florida everglades TV series in the late 50's early 60's. The show had a very original title, LOL: "The Everglades."

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic