Field trips 2.0

BC witness

On 4/11/2022 at 12:26 PM, BC witness said:

My son Rick and I got out for a full day yesterday. We spent the day exploring some of the old deactivated logging roads in the Chehalis Lake/River valley. The H3 got very muddy, and lots of pinstripes from the overgrown brushy trails. Once we left the main FSR, we had most of the trails to ourselves, only meeting 2 other vehicles in a 6 hour period. It looks like the bears are not out yet, as we found no tracks or scat, but there were lots of deer tracks. The weather was good all day, till about 5 PM, when some heavy black clouds rolled in, bring some rain, and a few snow flakes. It was great to share a day in the mountains with my son, and we both came away happy to have had the time out there.

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1014.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

On my heavens...how gorgeous is that!  Can you stay overnight on that lake?

5 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Beautiful area. Looks like some rough going if you wanted to go to the falls and beyond.

Yes, ankle breaker terrain, especially for wobbly old guys like me. I don't bushwack any more; if there's no trail, I don't go.

On my heavens...how gorgeous is that!  Can you stay overnight on that lake?

Yes, there are a number of clearings along the trail to the shore for tenting, and a single outhouse, no other facilities. That spot is at the S end of the lake. There is a campsite about half way up the W side, with tent sites that have fire rings and picnic tables, maintained by a large 4x4 association, and primitive camping at the N end along the banks of Eagle Creek and on the gravel beach. That site is reached from a different logging road system, requiring a 40 km (25 mile) detour around the mountains on the E side.

Edited by BC witness

Up at Priest Lake trying to howl up a wolf.

Either Bigfoot is lifting or there is a bored logger about. Seeing big rocks on stumps. I could barely pick up one of them. And would not be able to lift it onto the stump. The rest were too big. Didn't see any of the telltale signs of a bucket and a thumb clamping the rock. Dunno. Lots of snow here and cant get too far above the valley floor.

No Wolves talking either. But a glorious day! Last night was cooold. Forgot propane back in town. Duh.

Packing the Tavor 7. Loving it!

25EF7F18-E60D-4027-9522-45F9FDBAEA6F.jpeg

FDFCE2C6-631C-4C6C-983F-83850DD2EAF4.jpeg

B10A4786-C966-408A-BC5C-DB3263822829.jpeg

D2FF08D1-8ECA-48F6-A0F7-14698B74A2A7.jpeg

09BA2F68-43B4-49D4-BE3F-EECEF22D321D.jpeg

EB0C8759-BE6F-44D4-B6EB-3BBCDAEC70D6.jpeg

1909179C-8BF8-4C6A-9169-C21956D89D85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

@norseman

I guess they get bored using little stones to stack. So they started using larger stones.

6 hours ago, DrPSH said:

Wow, so beautiful! And your set up looks like it is working awesomely well for you.

I like it!

4 hours ago, ShadowBorn said:

@norseman

I guess they get bored using little stones to stack. So they started using larger stones.

Right?! Dunno….

I had set up the Moose decoy and caller. Walked back over to a slab of granite I was going to hide against and as I was walking over the mossy slab I observed this track. It’s not huge by any means. But I definitely see toes….

btw, I’ve owned that call since I was 12 years old. It’s my favorite.

AA1625DC-CC71-49D1-A0E5-54DB7F26F663.jpeg

Wow, not only a gorgeous place to be but maybe even a great location to find sasquatch prints and those that may have made them. Did you try casting that footprint?

On 4/14/2022 at 4:32 PM, norseman said:

7A361C01-6DB8-4B3A-B210-A05B0E8E926F.jpeg

Here's another admirer of your rig. It wouldn't be as practical here in Alaska with our limited number of accessible backroads, but that would be the ultimate for western U.S. backroads. I'm jealous!

• Thanks 1

Wow, not only a gorgeous place to be but maybe even a great location to find sasquatch prints and those that may have made them. Did you try casting that footprint?

Thanks!

No. I don’t cast tracks. But it was in soft moss. 

15 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Here's another admirer of your rig. It wouldn't be as practical here in Alaska with our limited number of accessible backroads, but that would be the ultimate for western U.S. backroads. I'm jealous!

I built it to drag my jet boat to Alaska. Then Covid hit, now fuel….

3 minutes ago, norseman said:

........I built it to drag my jet boat to Alaska. Then Covid hit, now fuel….

Got a particular river destination in mind? The Yukon? Yentna?

1 minute ago, Huntster said:

Got a particular river destination in mind? The Yukon? Yentna?

The Yentna. I’ve looked at property online up there. I think it’s remote properties Alaska. But the Yukon would be cool too.

But they are not going to open Canada to me anytime soon. And I cannot afford the ferry rates.

They have a sockeye snagging season on the Kootenay this fall we are gonna check out.

• Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic