Field trips 2.0

BC witness

9 hours ago, norseman said:

The Yentna. I’ve looked at property online up there. I think it’s remote properties Alaska. But the Yukon would be cool too.

But they are not going to open Canada to me anytime soon. And I cannot afford the ferry rates.

They have a sockeye snagging season on the Kootenay this fall we are gonna check out.

Don’t feel bad, many of us Canadians still can’t even board a domestic flight (or get our jobs back).

Should you ever make the trip, you’re welcome to stay on our property in Prince George.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Don’t feel bad, many of us Canadians still can’t even board a domestic flight (or get our jobs back).

Should you ever make the trip, you’re welcome to stay on our property in Prince George.

Right? I’m sorry!

Thanks Bud! Same goes for you too if you ever come south!

• Upvote 1

Norseman, some of the dairy farmers in the Fraser Valley cut their first hay crop today. This little corner of Canada is always weeks ahead of the rest of the country in the arrival of spring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BC witness said:

Norseman, some of the dairy farmers in the Fraser Valley cut their first hay crop today. This little corner of Canada is always weeks ahead of the rest of the country in the arrival of spring.

We won’t be cutting hay til June. It’s still snowing on the valley bottom here. And we were in snow falling yesterday.

But too be fair,  despite your tall mountains? Your valleys are low, close to the salt water. Our valleys are 2000 feet above sea level or higher being inland.

. I’m trying to sell my oilfield house, and my lawn gal is helping me. Anyhow eastern Montana and North Dakota got 3 feet of snow! Yuck!

C7098ECC-B5B2-4C86-A515-D7695BE146A4.jpeg

You're right, of course, it's the warm Pacific current just offshore that moderates our weather in the coastal valleys. The Fraser Valley farmlands are less than 100' above sea level. The rest of BC, east of the Coast Range, is still getting snow, like you are. The downside of our weather, is that it makes the area so desirable to live in, that it is the most expensive region in the country (3rd priciest in N. America, behind LA and NYC)

On 4/23/2022 at 9:28 AM, norseman said:

Up at Priest Lake trying to howl up a wolf.

Either Bigfoot is lifting or there is a bored logger about. Seeing big rocks on stumps. I could barely pick up one of them. And would not be able to lift it onto the stump. The rest were too big. Didn't see any of the telltale signs of a bucket and a thumb clamping the rock. Dunno. Lots of snow here and cant get too far above the valley floor.

No Wolves talking either. But a glorious day! Last night was cooold. Forgot propane back in town. Duh.

Packing the Tavor 7. Loving it!

EB0C8759-BE6F-44D4-B6EB-3BBCDAEC70D6.jpeg

I've never seen such big rocks on stumps.  Interesting.

My woods battle rifle uses the same mags...

IMG_20210516_112812221_HDR.thumb.jpg.9c9b325ce400134041fc648e119516ee.jpg

I had knee surgery on Tuesday and am out from work for at least two weeks.  I asked the doc if I was going to be OK to hike the woods before morel season was over and he said no way.

Chomping at the bit to get back into the woods, but can barely walk to the garage to work on my Harley.

I now live vicariously through Norseman, lol.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Went for a run up the same area as BC witness, today. Bent my running board brackets on the passenger side going through the washout bypass, and then bent the driver's side brackets coming back. The same blasted rock, too!! That'll teach me to use a bypass made by Jeeps!

• Haha 1

OOPS! I didn't scrape going through that bypass, but my H3 is shorter than your Ram, and I removed the running boards the day after my first outing with it. Guess why ;-)

• Upvote 1

That looks like work, norseman. I need to add a battery chainsaw to my recovery gear, I could have used it to clear some deadfall I encountered.

@cmknight, good news/bad news for the area we discussed yesterday. The main road to the N end of the lake is repaired well enough to get your pickup in without more damage to the running boards, but the loop up the big creek is blocked by washouts on both sides, about 3km in. The W side had a cut across it with big jagged boulders poking up, and a hefty log across a few feet further on. You'd need waders to get in and move those rocks. On the E side, again just a couple of km up, there's a long deeply cut pair of channels down the middle of the road. I tried to straddle them on the ridges between them, but dropped the left rear wheel into one, and high centered the rig on the skid plates. As my daughter and I were jacking up the rear corner of the truck, and rolling logs and boulders into the hole under the tire, a group of side by sides showed up, and helped fill the hole enough that 2 of them could winch me backwards out of it. A multi-point turn got me pointed back downhill, and we called it a day. The riders said there was an even worse washout just a few hundred metres further past where I got stuck. It looks like the spot where you got Sasquatch tagged is hike in only for a while.

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

IMG_1060.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@BC witness It's going to take quite some time to get all of those roads repaired, I'm afraid. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if some of them still weren't done by the end of summer.

Those spur roads may not get repaired until needed for logging, which could be years away. That'll give the local wildlife time to get comfortable back in there, Sas included. ;)

I've been thinking that a fat tired Ebike might be a good option to get into those cut off areas without disturbing the locals.

Edited by BC witness

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic