Field trips 2.0

BC witness

Nice little crawler trail to test the rock sliders! 

That's incredible scenery in the Moab area.

• Thanks 1

Great video. It takes nerves of steel to drive that, especially downhill. Kudos.

Zero chance I could muster the courage to do that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Great video. It takes nerves of steel to drive that, especially downhill. Kudos.

Zero chance I could muster the courage to do that.

It was either go forward or back track 40 miles back out!😳

• Upvote 1

Your female spotter was great!  Confident and reassuring at the same time.  I know video doesn't properly show just how crazy the incline is, but I could tell that the obstacles you were tackling were way, way above average, especially for a full-size pickup with a camper.

Super great job!  I am very impressed with the rig you've created and think it will be just amazing for exploring the back country.

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, entropy said:

Greetings, everyone!  First-time poster here, but somewhat long-time lurker. :D

I live in the Washington, DC area but recently had some personal business take me to NW Ohio.   I chose a stopover point near Salt Fork State Park, both because it made sense travel-wise and because it gave the opportunity to do some hiking in an area where there'd been Bigfoot activity both in the past and present.  I of course hiked around the "Bigfoot Ridge" area.  Actually, a really nice park employee pointed me to an unmarked trail (meaning, not on the official trail map) that was nonetheless blazed with red markings and which paralleled below the Bigfoot Ridge area.  It's located right behind the picnic area of the Stone House that's one of the sights to see within the park.  The same employee also showed me a pic of a tree structure she'd seen herself, and recounted how she sometimes heard whoops and whatnot in the evenings.  Anyway, it was a pretty cool trail that was somewhat overgrown and had some deadfall on it, but nothing too bad (it's no longer maintained, apparenty).  I can neither confirm nor deny whether I went off-trail to investigate some squatchy-looking hollers. 

While I didn't observe anything on that trail, earlier I had hiked the Morgan's Knob trail, where I saw an interesting track in the mud (first pic below).  A few things to note: 1) there was a squall that had some through in the morning the day before, so it was quite muddy, and I wonder if it could've affected the shape of an otherwise innocuous print or have been an artifact of the water flow itself; 2) the print was on the actual trail, on an incline; and 3) for size reference, the water bottle is 8", sorry it's at a slight angle, as I said, it was on an incline and was kinda hard to place something that'd stay still.  I think you can see some good detail of what looks like the heel area and some toe impressions as well.  This was from the first of my two trips to the park, in mid-May.   I'm interested in others' thoughts on it.  I didn't see an discernible prints near it...some indentations, sure, but nothing with detail.  To me, while it looked like a pretty good track, I did find it odd that it was basically in the trail itself, where a rivulet had probably flowed the say prior during the torrential rain.

The following four pics are from my second trip in mid-June.  For this trip, I drove on some of the gravel park roads, and there were pull-offs on these that led to "unmarked" trails.  On one of these, after hiking through the woods for a bit, I came to a large meadow with tall grass.  I hiked across it to the next wooded area, and shortly after entering, noticed a curious looking tree structure.  I took two pics, one close-up, and one further back to give a better sense of the surroundings (pics two and three, respectively).  Interestingly, near the possible tree structure (was it perhaps a marker?), I noticed what I thought was really a good, natural "hunting blind" that looked out over the meadow (pic four).  Right behind the "blind," there was also a well-flattened area where it looked like something had lain, but perhaps not very recently, as there was a small fallen branch in the middle of the "bedding" area (pic five).  I called it a "hunting blind," but it really could be used by prey too, I guess.  Anyway, I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on these too.  Look forward to the feedback!

SF Track.jpg

SF Tree Structure Close.jpg

SF Tree Structure Far.jpg

SF Blind-Meadow.jpg

SF Blind-Bedding.jpg

entropy, interesting pics. The track pic was interesting.

In case you haven't already, be sure to go to the "New Member Introduction" section and introduce yourself there. I apologize if you already have and I somehow missed you on there. You'll get a little more publicity so more people will know your now a member on here.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 8:37 AM, OkieFoot said:

entropy, interesting pics. The track pic was interesting.

In case you haven't already, be sure to go to the "New Member Introduction" section and introduce yourself there. I apologize if you already have and I somehow missed you on there. You'll get a little more publicity so more people will know your now a member on here.

Thanks, OkieFoot.  I think I did post in that section way back when I first created my account, but I'll check.  Since it's been a long time, might as well reintroduce myself.

Appreciate the feedback on the pics.  Any thoughts on the possible tree structure?

15 hours ago, norseman said:

Made it home!

More Moab!

Once or twice, I thought your vehicle might tip over to the right. Given the extraordinarily-dfficult trail you were traversing, how would you have gotten towed out if that occurred?

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Once or twice, I thought your vehicle might tip over to the right. Given the extraordinarily-dfficult trail you were traversing, how would you have gotten towed out if that occurred?

There are some off road recovery guys in Moab. And I pack a Garmin Inreach now.

• Upvote 1

Sorry. Going thru pictures now that I-am home. Check out the Flex on this AEV lift!

image.thumb.jpeg.607c6c16e728b182152437caac49fe58.jpeg

Lots of down travel on that right rear, but it almost looks like it's not in contact with the ground. Moab is a place I'd really like to visit, and test the limits of my H3.:rolleyes:

I spent the afternoon out with my youngest son on the trail I posted the pics of the old dump truck last week, and in the evening we went to the headwaters of the valley of my decades old sighting to meet the rest of the local Sasquatch research crew, Thomas, Magni, Alohacop, and their ladies, for a Canada Day campfire. It was great to get together with the crew again, as that hasn't happened much in the last couple of years. We all went home tired, happy, and smelling of wood smoke.

IMG_1124.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

BC, that's a nice relaxing looking picture. Did you cook any meat of some kind over the fire when it had burned down somewhat and had a lot of hot coals?

Is the law of campfires and smoke still in effect? I'm referring to the law that says no matter where you stand around the fire, the smoke will always blow in your face.

That's how it is whenever I'm charcoaling. 

BC witness ... I didn't get a chance to make it out on Canada Day, as I had to attend a Citizenship Function at the Legion, but I did get out for a few hours on Sunday. My wife and I went to a spot near Rolley Lake. It still amazes me how we are just minutes away from deep forest that goes for hundreds of miles.

IMGP0444.JPG

• Like 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic