Field trips 2.0

BC witness

@cmknightNaked eye or with a telescope. Either way that night sky is very beautiful.

3 minutes ago, ShadowBorn said:

@cmknightNaked eye or with a telescope. Either way that night sky is very beautiful.

I piggybacked my Pentax K-x and a Takumar 135mm f2.5 telephoto on top of my Celestron C8. Tracking was done with a Celestron AVX mount. The first photo is the Double Cluster, in Perseus. The second, M31, the Andromeda Galaxy, and the third photo is the North America Nebula, NGC7000, in Cygnus.

Edited by cmknight
  • Upvote 1

Great shots, cmknight. That's a hobby I've always admired, but never got into. Too many expensive hobbies !!

You were trying to get to the spot where you had a night intruder a few years ago, right? I was up that way this spring, and found the roads on both sides of the big creek severely washed out. I got high centered on the washout on the east side, and had to be winched out by 2 side by sides. Even those rigs could only go another 100 meters before they were stopped by a bigger washout.

The area I explored yesterday is many km from any light source, and would make a good observation point, I think. The road in is full of potholes and cross ditching on the side branches, but no problem for your truck. Check it out on Google Earth or Gaia.

Thats a nice setup. I am just now getting started into astronomy. My son and I have been playing around with a geographic telescope. Just looking at the moon and some planets. But I live in the city and not been out in the woods for a while. So, my eyes are through you guys who are getting out there.  But I have been involved with another project in the city. That is taking me down the rabbit hole for sure. Thanks for those great pictures and those 4 x 4. I am still working on my 4" lift ford fx4 2012 5.0. Keep them comin. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, BC witness said:

Great shots, cmknight. That's a hobby I've always admired, but never got into. Too many expensive hobbies !!

You were trying to get to the spot where you had a night intruder a few years ago, right? I was up that way this spring, and found the roads on both sides of the big creek severely washed out. I got high centered on the washout on the east side, and had to be winched out by 2 side by sides. Even those rigs could only go another 100 meters before they were stopped by a bigger washout.

The area I explored yesterday is many km from any light source, and would make a good observation point, I think. The road in is full of potholes and cross ditching on the side branches, but no problem for your truck. Check it out on Google Earth or Gaia.

I don't believe we had a night intruder on that trip. The spot I'm looking for had a cleared out area with a spraypainted "H" for a SAR or forestry landing pad. I think we found it on Google maps, but it's a lot farther than I remember. We're going to take a day trip up there this afternoon to see if it's the right spot. I'll keep you updated.

Cmknight, thanks for the great shots.

I'm an avid visual hobbyist, haven't taken the large plunge into astrophotography. I have a Nexstar 8.

I worked for Celestron in an Omaha call center for several years.

9 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

Cmknight, thanks for the great shots.

I'm an avid visual hobbyist, haven't taken the large plunge into astrophotography. I have a Nexstar 8.

I worked for Celestron in an Omaha call center for several years.

I believe my C8 is circa 1974. It's definitely vintage. LOL

I deforked it and put it on my AVX mount because it didn't come with the AC power cable. I've been told that the motor drive still works, but I haven't been able to test it.

IMGP0525.JPG

Edited by cmknight
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Agreed, @cmknight, your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them here with your forum friends. 

We have been practicing with a much less exciting telescope...less exciting but still really fun. We went down the looking for constellations rabbit hole the other night and 3 hours zipped by before we even realized it. We are still in practice mode but hope to be taking photos sometime soon once we are able to more reliably find what we are looking for.

Thanks again for the photos and the inspiration. Great stuff!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Got a dashcam going on that truck at all times? Might be a good thing for a guy who lives in sasquatch country.

I’m thinking so! Thx!

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic