Field trips 2.0

BC witness

That Henry looks like a very handy piece. My friend Magniaesir carries a 44 Mag Mares leg, with a proper buttstock, so it can be aimed easily, that makes a very compact trail rifle.

I got out for the afternoon on a combined deer/bear/sasquatch/grouse search to a large mountainside on the east shore of Harrison Lake. It was a gorgeous day, sunny, light breeze, and temp. in the low 20s C (low/mid 60s F). It's very dry in the hills right now, as we're in a stage 4 drought, with less than 1% of normal rainfall over the last 2 months. I explored several old logging roads, to the limit that my 4x4 would take me, and did a few short hikes further along the sections too overgrown to drive. I didn't see any big game at all but did take 1 nice fat grouse with the 20ga. As always, I feel great after a day in the hills.

IMG_1260.JPG

IMG_1262.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

IMG_1267.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Looks like you had a good trip all around. I haven't been out at all, myself. We've been locked out for the past month or so, and with the price of gas the way it is ($2.39.9/L), I won't be going anywhere for a while.

2 hours ago, cmknight said:

Looks like you had a good trip all around. I haven't been out at all, myself. We've been locked out for the past month or so, and with the price of gas the way it is ($2.39.9/L), I won't be going anywhere for a while.

Come out this way (Abby) for a day trip with me next weekend, you can fill your rig with gas at about $0.20 cheaper per L, park it at my place, and ride shotgun with me on my gas. I'd love to take you and your wife out for the day. My gas, you bring lunch.

• Like 1

Thanks, BC. I'll talk to her and see what she says. Money's a bit tight due to the lockout, and it's Thanksgiving weekend (Canada, for our American readers), but we'll see.

My weekend trip was a blast with me covering miles and miles of wilderness on my motorcycle.  But, I've never seen the woods so completely devoid of wildlife and/or sign.

I didn't see a single dang deer, elk, or predator.  I never even saw any sign of elk or moose.  I saw some wolf scat.  But mostly saw dozens of free-range cattle, some deer sign, but nothing else.

Recent rains had left plenty of mud and mud holes which are usually great for tracks and sign.  Nothing but cow and deer tracks.  Weird.

I made a comfy camp and slept in my SUV and had a great time.

20221001_152420.thumb.jpg.77618a57cdc6a95aa4beb53a0f85a288.jpg

I also explored some beautiful country and managed to not crash even once...

745887520_20221001_170531(1).thumb.jpg.fb45b4c95cc2a693f00e3e1d16275343.jpg

20221001_171000.thumb.jpg.a191233eb6a89aef5d8d602960177f17.jpg

But the search for Bigfoot, and just elk, was a total bust.

My Go-Pro camera angle was off, so the first day was barely usable.  The second day was even worse, so most of the footage is of my dash and tank and the trail immediately in front of me.  I did produce a video which is the 1st part of the first day camping.  It turned out OK.

Going to finish it up with Part II after work on Tuesday.  Then might try to salvage some video of the 2nd day.  I had some lengthy observations on crime, Californians ruining the Northwest, and why I believe in Bigfoot.  I'm so sad that my camera angle was too low and didn't show the beautiful scenery, especially when I was just riding along taking in the perfect surroundings and making a strong case for the existence of BF.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing PNW. Looks like a lot of fun and your setup is perfect to relax and go sasquatching. Sorry to hear the "fish weren't biting".  For reasons I can't explain either, there are times when all wildlife seems to be resting and simply inactive. No sounds, no movements, and no traces of them. Liked your video and look forward to Part II.

• Thanks 1

We are very fortunate here at the BFF to have so many members document and share their cool photos and videos and stories with us!

THANK YOU!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Molybdenite and Monument mountain. Elk hunting. My buddy and I took the bikes out to an old area we used to elk hunt in alot. Took one bull out of there. This is also the area I found the broken femur bone. 2nd picture in the saddle.

We saw some Elk sign but no elk. Just some cattle. And nothing was talking. Have not heard one bugle yet here.

02C7FAC3-430A-4DB3-A570-16856C37F551.jpeg

D1FC0A24-3933-4A49-B0B4-3BBB9564028A.jpeg

Kiwakwe,

I couldn't help noticing your J.P. Sauer shotgun. My dad had a J.P. Sauer & Sons double barrel side by side, in 16 gauge. He used to work with a man that was from Germany and the man brought it back for him from Germany on a trip he had made. It got used it on ducks and geese. 

He passed it on to me so I have it now. It's a very nice looking shotgun.

On another trip, the man also brought my dad a Mannlicher-Schonauer in .270. 

Went out near the Park Ranch for a 120-mile ride.  Still, not a single deer, elk, bear, moose, etc. sighted.  Dozens of RV hunting camps set up for elk season, which opens up Monday.

20221008_172347.thumb.jpg.1a75e072406cc0230028e16c6a7b5390.jpg

Went pretty deep into the woods with my GoPro running the whole time.  Nothing.  Checked multiple watering holes and mud holes for tracks.  Only cow, deer, and coyote tracks.

On the way out of the deep woods, decided to hit a mud hole and about crashed.  It was funny afterwards...

Mudgif.gif.278ed310e9becb93a32b9907133f98d3.gif

• Like 2

Ha! Fun. I did much the same a few years back on a little Honda Ruckus. The small wheels make them really twitchy in mud. I managed to stay upright, but I was sideways, with both feet in mud up to the ankles.

I was out again today, as well, with the same results; no sightings or sign at all. My excitement came on the way back out. I had gone through an open gate for a work area (repairs of last fall's huge washouts) that had a sign saying the gate would be locked at 4:30 PM. I got back there at 2:10 to find it locked, and no one around. Though I had heard some chatter on the radio earlier, no one had said "We're leaving, get out". Way out past cell service, of course. After some discussion, my son, our lady passenger, and I decided to build a bypass around the gate by towing some large boulders out of the way and digging into the uphill bank to make a shallow enough slope to keep the truck from flipping over. Two hours later, with only one minor dent in the rear driver's side door, we were on the other side of the gate, and headed home.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:13 AM, BC witness said:

Ha! Fun. I did much the same a few years back on a little Honda Ruckus. The small wheels make them really twitchy in mud. I managed to stay upright, but I was sideways, with both feet in mud up to the ankles.

I was out again today, as well, with the same results; no sightings or sign at all. My excitement came on the way back out. I had gone through an open gate for a work area (repairs of last fall's huge washouts) that had a sign saying the gate would be locked at 4:30 PM. I got back there at 2:10 to find it locked, and no one around. Though I had heard some chatter on the radio earlier, no one had said "We're leaving, get out". Way out past cell service, of course. After some discussion, my son, our lady passenger, and I decided to build a bypass around the gate by towing some large boulders out of the way and digging into the uphill bank to make a shallow enough slope to keep the truck from flipping over. Two hours later, with only one minor dent in the rear driver's side door, we were on the other side of the gate, and headed home.

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

2A36035B-4D9B-45C8-9240-2C485A0265A1.jpeg

Just got a 2016 jeep Rubicon. So I am going to start getting back out in the Green swamp FL.Took a 20 mile drive through Sunday! As it cools off will do more exploring off road!

IMG_0594.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic