Field trips 2.0

BC witness

I was bundled up with multi layers for work today, with the temp at -11C plus another -9C or so wind chill in the Fraser Valley. In the 30 km drive from Abbotsford to Chilliwack I counted 14 cars(1 on its roof) and 1 semi off the road into the median, and my normal 5 hour shift ran over 8 hours thanks to the horrible traffic conditions. Fortunately, we only get a few weeks of this every winter, not months of it like the Prairie Provinces. The upside was the gorgeous snow covered mountains along the valley in the cold clear air. I wish I could have taken my hand off the wheel long enough to get some pics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BC witness said:

I was bundled up with multi layers for work today, with the temp at -11C plus another -9C or so wind chill in the Fraser Valley. In the 30 km drive from Abbotsford to Chilliwack I counted 14 cars(1 on its roof) and 1 semi off the road into the median, and my normal 5 hour shift ran over 8 hours thanks to the horrible traffic conditions. Fortunately, we only get a few weeks of this every winter, not months of it like the Prairie Provinces. The upside was the gorgeous snow covered mountains along the valley in the cold clear air. I wish I could have taken my hand off the wheel long enough to get some pics.

I DO miss the sounds like gunshots of trees cracking on the mountainsides when they freeze, echoing through the valley, and being able to split 3 to 4 foot green poplar rounds with a single blow of a maul. Makes ya feel like Superman. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Madison5716 said:

@norseman  Wow! I gotta say that I'd be scared to live so far out into the woods like that. It's beautiful, though!

Thanks! Scared for what? Bigfoot might get you?😉

This is her parents place, we moved off my family ranch. The kids live on it now. So this is way closer to Spokane and CDA. Good for some things. Like Doctors and Costco. But over here close to north Idaho it’s very touristy. I miss home a lot. I miss the views of Canada. So I go to Priest lake a lot.

You should have your seatbelt on for such a drive! Looks great! Though mine is only on for highway or if the Force indicates a disturbance. Glad to see the Dodge up and running.

@norseman I grew up in Spokane and spent many happy hours at CDA. Gorgeous area. Can't say that I miss snow much, though! Might be heading up into snow tomorrow with NorthWind. If we do, I'll think of you!

• Thanks 1

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and New Years celebration. I was lucky and received a trail camera from my better half (CamPark T80). Looking forward to setting it up in the spring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a month of nasty weather, I finally got out for an afternoon run on Saturday, with some sun and warm temps, setting records for January. I went to the valley on the N side of the Fraser River, where I had my sighting decades ago. I got to try out the GoPro Black10 that my daughter got me for Christmas, so I'll bore you with 7 minutes of logging road footage.

I guess that's not happening, the upload failed due to file size. I'll have to learn more about editing and uploading before I can video bomb the site ;-)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BC witness said:

After a month of nasty weather, I finally got out for an afternoon run on Saturday, with some sun and warm temps, setting records for January. I went to the valley on the N side of the Fraser River, where I had my sighting decades ago. I got to try out the GoPro Black10 that my daughter got me for Christmas, so I'll bore you with 7 minutes of logging road footage.

I guess that's not happening, the upload failed due to file size. I'll have to learn more about editing and uploading before I can video bomb the site ;-)

Throw it up on YouTube!

Went to the Green swamp last weekend. Forgot it is hunting season here people everywhere! Normally I might see two vehicles all day! So, they were running dogs for pigs so every time I heard the dogs get close, I would stop to see what might cross the road. wasn't going in the woods no orange vest. Thinking about going back next year when they are setting up camp sites and asking if they have had sightings or ever lost dogs.        

Great weather here on the Idaho/Washington border!  Took my KLR for a ride out to check on my dad who is having some weird neurological issues after he got his 4th Covid shot.

20230114_132211.thumb.jpg.da21361a86be27131812c4376c60233c.jpg

His homestead was the site of an infamous Bigfoot sighting a couple of years ago.  He is a staunch disbeliever in BF.  He is currently having some health issues, so I have been going out to his place daily to let his bird dog, Norm, get some exercise.

20230115_142515.thumb.jpg.caadc1bf64a893f36805d74a027b88b3.jpg

Dad is in pretty bad shape and looking to re-home Norm.  He's a 4 year old English Setter professionally trained by a guy in Cheney, WA that has trained a few national champion dogs.  Over $3k in training invested in Norm.  Sweet dog, but very active and not a good fit for an 80 yr old man who can no longer bird hunt.

Weird weather out here.  40's and sunny during the day, then nasty cold and weather overnight.

I want to get into the woods and looks for tracks, but still lots of snow in the mountains.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• gigantor unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic