Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Perez

Richard Henry

Daniel Perez

I just received word from Keith Henry that his father, Richard Henry from Willow Creek, California, passed away on July 21, 2018 in Eureka, California at the age of 86. I last saw Mr. Henry in October 2017 and he was not in good shape.  The cause of death was heart related according to his son.

On November 5, 1967, just weeks after the famous P-G film was shot, it was Richard Henry who drove Jim McClarin to the site and, according to Mr. Henry, he was able to see footprints in the sandbar that confirmed that something had happened. 

News travelled much slower at that time but Mr. Henry was aware that someone got a supposed film of a Bigfoot but he also told me that a lot of people in and around Willow Creek were highly “skeptical” that such an animal could be out in the woods. 

However, he was greatly impressed by how deep the footprint impressions were in the forest floor. He could think of no way those footprints could have been faked as they looked extremely natural and life like. He spent quite a bit of time looking at the tracks and he noted they started at the creek and disappeared on the hard packed Bluff Creek Road, which ran parallel to the Bluff Creek at the time. This road is no longer in existence.

I didn’t find out about Richard Henry until early 2003, when Al Hodgson mentioned him in passing.  I didn’t meet Mr. Henry in person until September 2003 but  I didn't have much time to chat with him, as I was covering the International Sasquatch Symposium for the Bigfoot Times newsletter.

It wasn’t until later, in late October 2004 that I took Richard Henry and his grandson to the P-G filmsite. It was at this time I did my first audiotape interview with him. To my memory this has never been released to the Bigfoot community. At the same time I asked if he could draw a map of the filmsite to best of his memory and it was later published in the November 2004 Bigfoot Times.

In October 2006 I took Mr. Henry back to the P-G filmsite (see my picture of him) and it was at this time at Bluff Creek (near the bat boxes) that I secured a second interview with him, this one on videotape. Myself, Richard Henry and my dog Pre spent a whole day there looking around and we saw some relatively fresh bear tracks right on the creek but no Bigfoot tracks.

My own opinion is that if you are only taking written notes from an eyewitness it has little value compared to a videotape where you actually see the words/testimony coming directly out of the mouth of the witness.

What is interesting is that Richard Henry remembers there were Bigfoot tracks right on the edge of Bluff Creek and a small embankment up to higher ground (a few feet) and the first step up to higher ground was a slip, as there was a gouge in the sandbar that indicated this is what happened.

Richard Henry was born in Cincinnati, Ohio on February 21, 1932 and lived in Willow Creek, California  from 1972 until his passing. He was an auto mechanic and was married to his wife, Pearl, for 62 years. He is survived by his wife, two children and five grandchildren.

Like I have said before, real investigation and research is often a race with the undertaker. Granted, at the time in question, 2004 and 2006, Richard Henry was in good health as best as I could see so I was very pleased he cooperated with my question and answer session, which can sometimes be overbearing.    

Thanks to Richard Henry we now have two recorded interviews of what he saw on the P-G filmsite and a map of the area and where he saw the tracks. Rest in peace, Richard.

From the BIGFOOT TIMES newsletter (www.bigfoottimes.net), August 2018, edited and published continuously since January 1998.

• Upvote 1

OkieFoot

Sorry to hear of his passing. I remember BH had mentioned Richard Henry in the past and that he had followed, and I think examined, every track in the trackway.

Patterson-Gimlin

Thoughtsand prayers for his family 

Also thanks for sharing this 

SweatyYeti

Very sorry to hear the sad news, about Richard Henry.  

xspider1

RIP, Richard.  Thank-you for telling us of his passing, Daniel.  

Sign in to follow this