NCBFr

The Howler

NCBFr

Mueller...Mueller

Seriously, not a single reply.   OK, I will try and get the ball rolling.  Here are 3 things I find interesting in this video:

1.  The Navajo PD takes paranormal including BF sightings seriously.  I wonder why they do and no other non-NA PD does?  Perhaps as decedents from first men they know the history better than the rest of us.

2.  The Navajo PD is armed to the teeth when they do the investigation.  I have never seen a PD this armed outside of SWAT teams.  I wonder why?   I can think of no native animals that would warrant this type of firepower.  That is a lot of weight to be humping in them hills in the heat if not necessary.

3.  The creature in the cave is showing white eyes.  Does that make it more or less likely to be a BF in your view.

There are more but I will save those for later.  Anybody?

hiflier

The cave didn't look too, too large and I would be curious about how a Puma's eyes look when reflecting daylight as opposed to say halogen flashlight? I can see a Puma doing the damage and making the screams that had been reported along with leaving little in the way of prints in such rocky terrain. They may have an easy time of navigating it enough to cover quite a bit of ground as it did seem that whatever was making the sound (in broad daylight no less) appeared to relocate unseen and then make additional howls. I don't know what to make of the sightings that witnesses have said they had had though. 

I would have answered your post sooner but didn't get around to watching it until last evening and got busy today so only checked in a few times. You are right about the PD being well equipped and obviously used to the terrain. I was actually surprised that they take this stuff so seriously as well but I am glad they do. And the way they handled the situation did nothing to reduce their credibility as they really do not fool around. And I mean rifles with scopes not fool around. I wonder wht they would have done if a 'creature' did make itself known. Shoot it? Somehow I do not think that they would unless they or the people in the area were very much threatened themselves. Then again they may also be thinking why would only ONE be there and maybe just know that there may be more than one?

Edited by hiflier

NCBFr

Hiflier - Thank you for the response.  So lets keep this rolling.  There is a lot more here but I am going to keep with the Puma comment.  Check out the width between the eyes.  The distance between the whites of my eyes is roughly 1.5 times the length of the width of my eyes.  The distance between the whites of the eyes shown in the video is roughly 3.2 times the whites of the eyes.  I did a check on a puma picture and came out with a number closer to two.  Also, Pumas dont have whites eyes.  Also, the eyes look to be a pretty good distance off the floor of the cave which is not well represented in my pic but clearer in the video.  Of course there could be a hidden ledge we cannot see.  But,

As to the Navajo PA, not just rifles with scopes, but rifles with scopes and bipods.  This is not a terrorist event but some local complaining about loud noises outside their house.  I wonder how they would respond for a domestic abuse call?

Lastly, this is not a video of some youtube ad craving wannabe.  Despite the goofy intro, it is from Natgeotv of National Geographic fame in combination with the local CBS news affiliate.

Anything else interesting?

eye width.png

hiflier

So did the team ever go back to check out the cave for evidence of prints or hair/fur? Or to get an estimate on size by having some one stand inside in the same spot? The video did show one of the team go in with a gun at the ready. MAN! Now THAT took some courage- back up or no back up.

NCBFr

Here is an excerpt from Navajo Times on the Investigation:

There had been reports of a couple of dogs killed, and nobody knew what killed them, so they were taking precautions," he said. It was a cold, windy day and Dolan was starting to wonder what he was doing out there when, a little before 1 p.m., "I heard it," he said. "We all heard it."  Dolan says he was raised in northern Arizona and has heard his fair share of local wildlife, but nothing like this.  "If I had to describe it," he said, "I would put it at a cross between a wounded elk and a sick coyote. But anything wounded or sick out in that country would have died a long time ago, and people have been hearing this thing since July."

The hunting party headed west in the direction of the howl. Eventually they located a cave in the cliff face with a dank, animal smell, but no signs of occupancy. There were no unusual tracks - in fact, the tracks were surprisingly few.  "There was a noticeable absence of wildlife," Nolan said. "You couldn't even hear birds singing."  Farther down the canyon, however, there were unusually deep and scattered cattle tracks."Something scared those cows," Dolan said.  Eventually, the search crew decided to call it a day.

"Nobody knew we were going in that day," he said. "There's no way someone could have gotten in there ahead of us. I suppose you could have gotten a four-wheel-drive in there a ways, but we would have seen the tracks."

Since the expedition, Begay reported, there have been no more calls on The Howler.

So whatever it was, it appears they scared it away.

http://www.navajotimes.com/news/2011/1211/120511howl.php

Airdale

WRT a puma, I've had one scream literally in my back yard and it was nothing like the howl recorded in the video. While they're capable of a wide range of vocalizations, everything I've heard whether live or recorded is either higher pitched or more of a frequency modulated growl. The word mauled was used in relation to the dog's injuries, though there was no further description or a mention of whether they were fatal. Rural law enforcement should be familiar with the type of injuries inflicted by big cats. I found the comparison of the smell to that of a goat made by one officer very interesting; the nastiest smelling critter I've ever encountered was a goat wandering around a beach in Subic Bay in the Philippines. If I'd had any lunch it would have come up.

NCBFr

Wild animals can make some crazy sounds.  I have a fox that takes offense at my cat every spring and screams at my house like a woman being choked to death.  I ran in to a flock of turkeys last winter that made a scream that simply cannot be described and had me on edge for a few minutes.  However, nothing matches the shear volume of a BF scream.  Whether it is the Ohio howl (which I have heard) or the Clipper Mill howl, what makes them unique is the volume (ie sounds pressure).  No other animal in the world has that type of lung capacity.  Years ago people in this forum mocked a member basically out of the forum because he said that he saw a BF scream cause ice to crack.  While I have never seen this myself ,I do believe it to be possible based on one of my experiences.  

Now you picked up on something that has always interested me.  The Smell.  I believe I have been with 50 yards of a BF twice, my daughter 50 feet, yet we never smelled anything.  They cleared heard something, tracked it to its lair, smelled something really bad in the progress, but found no evidence.  The creature and the smell simply disappeared.  I have been around lots of carnivorous wild animals in both the wild and the zoo and they don't smell bad. It simply is not healthy to walk around smelling bad.  But this is a common occurrence in BF sightings.   I wonder why.

norseman

The sound sounds to me like a metal gate swinging in the wind. Doesnt sound organic.

No doubt that something with tapetum ludicum eyeballs was looking out from the cave. My guess would be cougar. And who knows where that den goes. It dould simply go farther back in the rocks.

Can anyone tell me what “skin walker” means in navajo? Is that a big hairy bigfoot thing? Or something else?

Redbone
SSR Team
2 minutes ago, norseman said:

Can anyone tell me what “skin walker” means in navajo? Is that a big hairy bigfoot thing? Or something else?

Skin-walker. ... In Navajo culture, a skin-walker (yee naaldlooshii) is a type of harmful witch who has the ability to turn into, possess, or disguise themselves as an animal. The term is not used for healers.

In the Navajo language, yee naaldlooshii translates to "by means of it, it goes on all fours".[1] While perhaps the most common variety seen in horror fiction by non-Navajo people, the yee naaldlooshii is one of several varieties of Navajo witch, specifically a type of 'ánti'įhnii.[1] The legend of the skin-walkers is not well understood outside of Navajo culture, mostly due to reluctance to discuss the subject with outsiders.[2].

Navajo witches, including skin-walkers, represent the antithesis of Navajo cultural values. While community healers and cultural workers are known as medicine men and women, or by terms in the local, indigenous language, witches are seen as evil, performing twisted ceremonies and manipulating magic in a perversion of the good works medicine people traditionally perform. In order to practice their good works, traditional healers learn about both good and evil magic. Most can handle the responsibility, but some people can become corrupt and choose to become witches.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin-walker

• Upvote 1

NCBFr
On 8/9/2018 at 1:59 PM, norseman said:

The sound sounds to me like a metal gate swinging in the wind. Doesnt sound organic.

No doubt that something with tapetum ludicum eyeballs was looking out from the cave. My guess would be cougar. And who knows where that den goes. It dould simply go farther back in the rocks.

On 8/9/2018 at 1:59 PM, norseman said:

Brilliant! I guess the LEOs on the scene did not have your razor keen observational skills. 

A cave that actually goes back in the rock, who would have thought. 

A metal gate in a canyon that shows no sign of human habitation.  How did those NA LOEs missed that, hmm ? 

Tapetum Ludicum - Big words, but what created the reflection on a bright sunny day. And white.

Seriously, a moderator on the BFF forum needs someone to explain what a skin walker is.  Dmaker and Mcdumass have won.  

norseman

Im not a moderator.... Sorry that I didnt see anything out of the ordinary from the video. 

Twist
9 hours ago, NCBFr said:

Brilliant! I guess the LEOs on the scene did not have your razor keen observational skills. 

A cave that actually goes back in the rock, who would have thought. 

A metal gate in a canyon that shows no sign of human habitation.  How did those NA LOEs missed that, hmm ? 

Tapetum Ludicum - Big words, but what created the reflection on a bright sunny day. And white.

Seriously, a moderator on the BFF forum needs someone to explain what a skin walker is.  Dmaker and Mcdumass have won.  

Pretty poor response to someone stating their opinion, especially considering its from someone who just a few days earlier was asking for responses.......

That being said,  could the camera crew have possibly caught a natural reflection that appeared as eyeshine?  Maybe some quartz or other rock type,   Pareidolia?   Maybe some optical illusion caused it to appear deeper in the cave than it was......idk, just spitballing here.  

hiflier
1 minute ago, Twist said:

.........idk, just spitballing here.

Preferred bean shooters m'self. Oh yes, and wrist rockets.

norseman

My response wasnt to degrade anyone. And I fully support members sharing interesting video or audio. My opinion is just my opinion and isnt some “official” BFF stance. 

I think its cool also that the Navajo tribe is investigating cryptids....