AtlantiS

crippled bigfoot tracks

MindSquatch
1 hour ago, gigantor said:

^^^ Are the hair follicles still attached?  no hair follicles, no DNA.

Let you know when I find it! Still would like to know where I can send samples without the burden of cost? This should have been sent off right after I found it as it was left from that night and found in the morning. I took a pair of sterilized tweezer and put in a fresh Ziploc bag. 

JustCurious

I don't know the answer to the question about who could/would do testing, but I'd do a detailed letter/email to ask others who they would consider reputable.  The three names I can come up with are Todd Disotell at NYU, Dr Anna Nekaris at Oxford Brookes University and Svante Paabo at the Max Planck Institute.

Cotter

I sent a message to Mitotyping Technologies.  Looks like they worked with the Syke's sample of the 'yeti'.  We'll see what they say and I'll report back.  Ideally, it would be nice to have a lab that would simply evaluate the hair via microscope or whatever and see if it comes back as a known animal.

From there....who knows...

Cotter

Update - received a response from the Mitotyping Lab.  FYI for those with samples.  Cost prohibitive is a bit of an understatement when considering my finances. Hopefully this can help some others.

Good morning Peter,

Thank you for contacting Mitotyping Technologies.  The cost for species testing for one hair is $1,550.00.  While our success rate is approximately 95% for hairs, there still exist the chance that a sample may be too highly degraded to yield a result.  Should this occur, there is a reduced fee for extraction with no DNA results of $1,300.  We prefer 2 cm of hair for testing but we have successfully typed hairs as small as 2 mm.  We do process cases in the order they are received.  If results are needed quickly, we do offer and expedited service.  If this is a private case, we do ask for payment up front.

I have attached several documents for a case submission.  We request that the Forensic Test Request Form, Customer Memo and If needed, the Small Hair Loss Waiver be completed/signed and returned prior to testing.  This documentation may be included with evidence submission or returned via email. 

Documentation includes:

1. Forensic Test Request Form. This document will contain the pertinent information about your case, such as primary contact, where the report should be sent, where the remaining evidence should be returned to and who is responsible for payment.  Please note that the primary contact(s) will be the only individual(s) we will talk to about the case.

2. Customer Memo. This states that a portion or all of the evidence item may be consumed in the course of testing.

3. Small hair loss waiver:  To be completed only if a test hair is 1 cm or less in length.  We will attempt to test any hair that is visible.  However, small hairs are increasingly difficult to work with, there is the remote possibility, that a hair may be lost during the extraction process.  The loss of a hair during the testing process is extremely rare.  The small hair loss waiver ensures that you are aware of this risk prior to testing.

4. Mitotyping Technologies Fee Schedule

5.  Procedure for Handling and Mailing Submitted Samples.

Please send your evidence to:

Mitotyping Technologies
2565 Park Center Blvd., Suite 200
State College, PA 16801
814-861-0676 (phone number needed if sending via FedEx)

Please let me know if you have any further questions.  I would be happy to assist.  We look forward to working with you!

Kindest regards,

Gloria

• Upvote 1

norseman
BFF Donor

Thanks for stopping by! It was a pleasure meeting you!

AtlantiS
1 hour ago, norseman said:

Thanks for stopping by! It was a pleasure meeting you!

You're welcome...nice to meet you too

• Upvote 1