The decline of interest in Sasquatch

Lake County Bigfooot

5 hours ago, MIB said:

Paulides has two bigfoot books out there, Tribal Bigfoot and The Hoopa Project, which predate the Missing 411 "stuff."    Until bigfoot's existence is proven and accepted by science, there is no such thing as an expert, but he knows about as much as there is known by anyone.   (I'm not singling him out, you can say the same about any other more or less full time researcher who has put in the time .. they're all up against the same ceiling.) 

MIB

Can't say I have read his books cover to cover but I think most people on this forum are better BF investigators than Paulides.  He does good research on missing persons but doesn't offer much on BF from what I have seen and heard from him.  Though, Thom Powell documented a phone call between he and Paulides in his book Edges of Science in which Paulides spilled the beans on what he really thinks. That may be the only place it is documented.

If I were going out investigating a recent BF sighting,  I wouldn't hesitate to have Paulides on my team.

He was a career police investigator turned missing-person investigator.  The first person to see a pattern, voice his concern, and call attention to people going missing in certain hotspots including experienced hikers and hunters.  I think he has a nose for investigating in the same way a bloodhound has one for scent. He has undoubtedly saved lives with his warnings to people of preparation for the backcountry echoed throughout his 411 Missing series.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Paulides is best viewed as a late night spooky story teller. I got one of his books for Christmas last year, and quickly came to believe that he's a sensationalist. As I read I would inevitably get curious and look up some of the cases, and he has a bad habit of leaving out details that make the cases a lot less "mysterious". If you look in to the cases, many of them are solved, or at least have strong theories of what happened, most of them being suicides, abductions, and murders. 

Despite what he says, I definitely got the feeling that he was often putting a Bigfoot slant on things. He repeatedly brings up people who were abducted by hairy creatures and people going missing around berry patches. The one cases that did genuinely creep me out and as far as I know is completely unsolved is the case of Dennis Martin, and it strangely enough has a possible Bigfoot slant to it, since a family saw a "wildman" running up a hill with something draped over its shoulder at approximately the same time Dennis went missing.

• Upvote 2

You allude to cases where "many of them are solved". Can you cite which cases they are?

Also, when you say cases have strong theories about what happened. Who has these strong theories?  Can you give us a few examples?

Edited by wiiawiwb

7 hours ago, Acolyte said:

Paulides is best viewed as a late night spooky story teller. I got one of his books for Christmas last year, and quickly came to believe that he's a sensationalist. As I read I would inevitably get curious and look up some of the cases, and he has a bad habit of leaving out details that make the cases a lot less "mysterious". If you look in to the cases, many of them are solved, or at least have strong theories of what happened, most of them being suicides, abductions, and murders. 

Despite what he says, I definitely got the feeling that he was often putting a Bigfoot slant on things. He repeatedly brings up people who were abducted by hairy creatures and people going missing around berry patches. The one cases that did genuinely creep me out and as far as I know is completely unsolved is the case of Dennis Martin, and it strangely enough has a possible Bigfoot slant to it, since a family saw a "wildman" running up a hill with something draped over its shoulder at approximately the same time Dennis went missing.

I feel the same, and its intentionally manipulative. He doesn't come out and say it, but he nudges you that way in order to sell his latest book. 

He goes out of his way to NOT nudge anyone in any direction, least of all Bigfoot.

He mentions that part of the Martin story because.... it's part of the story.  

He knows that people expect him to put a Bigfoot spin on the 411 cases because of his previous work in the Bigfoot field.  That's why he goes out of his way to avoid making the slightest connection.  

Pay attention to his interviews.  He won't even say that he was researching Bigfoot when the original park rangers approached him.  He always says that he was researching a "peripheral subject".

Paulides does get a bit arrogant at times.  I can kind of see why after witnessing the way people interact with him at events.  People who have read maybe one book or heard a couple of interviews will begin to lecture him on the Missing 411 cases.  Like him or not, the guy has spent countless hours researching this topic.  I could see where that would begin to grate on your nerves after awhile.  However, I believe that he has allowed that annoyance to trickle down into his every day dealings with people sometimes.  Another member here had some legitimate complaints on how Paulides responded to him during a simple email exchange.

However, that arrogance doesn't take away from his encyclopedic knowledge of these missing persons cases.  He himself will say that his impressions of the cause of these disappearances have evolved over time.  I just don't see the evidence to back up that he is insinuating Bigfoot as the culprit.

• Upvote 2