TD-40

from Wyoming Public Media

SWWASAS
1 hour ago, norseman said:

I would prefer a DNA confirmation from a hair? Versus shooting one? But I feel that hairs are fragile and a one and done affair. So a body will eventually be required anyhow. And we know that any DNA sample that comes back conclusive will be questioned. Science will look for a reason to throw it out. It doesn't fit with their understanding of the world.

You have a good point.   A small single sample like a hair cannot be shared between multiple labs.   Takes a big chunk of something to be divided up and sent around for independent confirmation.    Some small independent lab that tags something a BF sample will be destroyed by the rest of them who have it in their best interest to reduce the number of competitors.  

hiflier
2 hours ago, MIB said:

One of the puzzles to me, from the sidelines, is why they're bothering with the "go fund me" type approach to the e-DNA.    With Wally Hersom's checkbook behind the Olympic Project, they should be able to just do it .. unless the funding approach is not about money at all, it's about drawing public interest so that if any agency interferes, too many questions will be asked to effectively sweep it under the rug.

I have wondered the same and mentioned a while ago that I thought the testing was being done behind the scenes with the gofund me thing just being posturing for the public. In fact, according to an interview with Dr. Disotell by Laura Krantz ("Wild Thing" podcast) some of the testing is already underway.

SWWASAS
2 minutes ago, hiflier said:
  2 hours ago, MIB said:

One of the puzzles to me, from the sidelines, is why they're bothering with the "go fund me" type approach to the e-DNA.    With Wally Hersom's checkbook behind the Olympic Project, they should be able to just do it .. unless the funding approach is not about money at all, it's about drawing public interest so that if any agency interferes, too many questions will be asked to effectively sweep it under the rug.

Several years ago I was at the Sasquatch Summit at Ocean shores.   Had of course made the rounds and talked to the exhibitors who where also mostly speakers at some point.     I had been sitting in the back where I could duck out if a speaker was boring me with old material.    There is a lot of that on the BF convention circuit.    This strange guy sidled up to me and asked if I wanted to see a BF.  I asked him what he meant.  He said he had one strapped to the top of his vehicle.     My mind raced with the possibilities.     As a long time BF conference goer,  the supreme fantasy would be to have someone haul in a BF body on a gurney during the conference, and throw back the covering sheet.       I figured what the hell, he might really have one and followed him out into the parking lot.    Probably dumb of me but I followed him out to his van and he had full size BF manikin strapped to the top of his van.     Its feet were hanging over the back.    I was amazed that he was not stopped en route by some State Trooper.     I had no idea what he intended to do with it and disengaged as quickly as I could.    My point being it is going to take something like a reveal in front of a lot of people to turn things from myth to reality.   That would have been a good conference to do that because both Bindernagal and Meldrum were there.  

• Haha 1

hiflier

Makes one wonder what was going through the guy's mind when he was fabricating the 'joke'. He obviously did it just for the conference as wouldn't he have had to pay to be in the room? Seems like a lot of effort to get attention and for what? A laugh and to get folks at the conference talking about him? Did you hear anyone discussing the affair? Maybe see a group gathered around his vehicle at some point?

SWWASAS

I did not hear anything from anyone other than him nor was anyone interested in what was on the van either.  .       I wondered if he was going to put it near a road and hoax some people.    It was late in the day and dark when he took me out so show it    I honestly expected to get mugged or something.    Anyway whatever his motivations where, they were strange enough that I couldn't get back inside soon enough.  

hiflier

HAH! And I would be right behind you if I couldn't outright beat you to the door :)  

SWWASAS
21 minutes ago, hiflier said:

HAH! And I would be right behind you if I couldn't outright beat you to the door :)  

Well as I was deciding if I should go out and have a look,   I decided I did not want to be the guy at the conference who turned away some guy that ran into a killed a BF down the road.     "I took the body to the conference and nobody seemed interested so I just took it back where I hit it".   

Catmandoo
5 hours ago, MIB said:

There may be another 'angle'. In the past, the Gofundme  campaigns for money to do eDNA/DNA testing have not done well. OP nests, Washington Sate, were 63% funded = fail. Ketchum did one in 2015. About 3% funded. Epic fail. Imagine that.

Dr. Disotell is training domestic and international students in DNA testing. How do you fund the training?  Appeal to outdoor types to go out and 'arrest' water and dirt. Send money and samples. eDna testing indicates where an animal has been, not where it currently is located. Animals with seasonal altitude/location habits will be long gone when the test results are given.

I anticipate inconclusive results with the nest tests. 'Unidentified'.

hiflier
15 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

And that would be OK by me. Also for the record I think the account for funding the e-DNA on the Nest samples is through indiegogo.

Edited by hiflier

Catmandoo

^^^^ Searched Gofundme and Indiegogo and have found zero. I will contact the blogger from Maine.

wiiawiwb
47 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

There may be another 'angle'. In the past, the Gofundme  campaigns for money to do eDNA/DNA testing have not done well. OP nests, Washington Sate, were 63% funded = fail. Ketchum did one in 2015. About 3% funded. Epic fail. Imagine that.

Dr. Disotell is training domestic and international students in DNA testing. How do you fund the training?  Appeal to outdoor types to go out and 'arrest' water and dirt. Send money and samples. eDna testing indicates where an animal has been, not where it currently is located. Animals with seasonal altitude/location habits will be long gone when the test results are given.

I confess to being profoundly ignorant about matters related to DNA processing and results so kindly bear with me. If a process is not deemed contaminated (however that conclusion is drawn) and the result is "Unidentified", isn't that the match we're looking for? It is not possible to compare it to a known result until a body has been located and a benchmark DNA profile exists.

Why isn't "Unidentified" good enough?

Catmandoo

^^^^  I have no problem with 'unidentified'. I do not follow all the DNA activity but I seem to think that all hair samples come back as 'unidentified' or contaminated or the hoax animal DNA is revealed.  Sad that the DNA testing arena in the US has been trashed by hoaxers.

Excluding DNA, are there any medical conditions that would separate sasquatch from the rest of the pack?   Are cholesterol problems limited or do many animals have it? Blood test only or stool test?

Patterson-Gimlin
14 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

Several years ago I was at the Sasquatch Summit at Ocean shores.   Had of course made the rounds and talked to the exhibitors who where also mostly speakers at some point.     I had been sitting in the back where I could duck out if a speaker was boring me with old material.    There is a lot of that on the BF convention circuit.    This strange guy sidled up to me and asked if I wanted to see a BF.  I asked him what he meant.  He said he had one strapped to the top of his vehicle.     My mind raced with the possibilities.     As a long time BF conference goer,  the supreme fantasy would be to have someone haul in a BF body on a gurney during the conference, and throw back the covering sheet.       I figured what the hell, he might really have one and followed him out into the parking lot.    Probably dumb of me but I followed him out to his van and he had full size BF manikin strapped to the top of his van.     Its feet were hanging over the back.    I was amazed that he was not stopped en route by some State Trooper.     I had no idea what he intended to do with it and disengaged as quickly as I could.    My point being it is going to take something like a reveal in front of a lot of people to turn things from myth to reality.   That would have been a good conference to do that because both Bindernagal and Meldrum were there.  

Even I could not resist going outside to look. I would have been on alert and thrashed him if he had  thoughts of a criminal nature. Thank you for sharing that.

Great story . Thank you also TD-40 for the link. 

JustCurious
On 11/4/2018 at 6:57 AM, wiiawiwb said:

I've also been trying to track down the professor he alluded to in the audio.  Does anyone know how to reach out to John Mionczynski to get that information?  I can't find his email address at the Olympic Project.

His name is Dr. Walter Birkby, but he passed away in 2015.