Chest Pack

wiiawiwb

Never been on a horse but it looks like an awesome way to go into the backcountry.  He doesn't say in his website (that I can find) what the volume of each pannier is but it looks substantial. Sweet setup.

Question Norse. Do horses ever get attacked by grizzly or mountain lions?  Is that a legitimate concern every time you go out and, if so, how do you keep them protected while you're in a tent or sleeping at night?

9 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Never been on a horse but it looks like an awesome way to go into the backcountry.  He doesn't say in his website (that I can find) what the volume of each pannier is but it looks substantial. Sweet setup.

Question Norse. Do horses ever get attacked by grizzly or mountain lions?  Is that a legitimate concern every time you go out and, if so, how do you keep them protected while you're in a tent or sleeping at night?

Hunting Pannier: 24" x 17" x 9" (61 x 43 x 23 cm) = approx. 3672 cu. in.

Yes it is a concern. You bring your stock in close by the tent on a highline at night. If there is a ruckus during the night, your flying out of the tent in your underwear, with a light and a gun. I know people that have flew out of the tent and a cougar was hanging on to a neck of their horse. We had a bull Moose come through one night looking for love we think.

During the day they are hobbled or picketed in the meadow filling their bellies. We hang a bell off the neck of the leader. But its constant vigilance.....even in the day time.

550881C5-3E55-4EC6-BDEC-B6574E73DBB2.jpeg

Just now, norseman said:

Hunting Pannier: 24" x 17" x 9" (61 x 43 x 23 cm) = approx. 3672 cu. in. Ive packed about 350 lbs on one mule 30 miles in one day. Hard day. Struck camp before daylight and got to the horse trailer well after dark. Two hind quarters of a 5x5 bull elk plus the decker pack saddle.

Yes it is a concern. You bring your stock in close by the tent on a highline at night. If there is a ruckus during the night, your flying out of the tent in your underwear, with a light and a gun. I know people that have flew out of the tent and a cougar was hanging on to a neck of their horse. We had a bull Moose come through one night looking for love we think.

During the day they are hobbled or picketed in the meadow filling their bellies. We hang a bell off the neck of the leader. But its constant vigilance.....even in the day time.

550881C5-3E55-4EC6-BDEC-B6574E73DBB2.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I want to pick up the Hill People Recon chest rig this fall.  

I went to buy one last year, but they were temporarily out of stock.  I ended up getting a Hazard 4 Covert Escape chest rig because: A) I thought that the smaller size would work better with the straps of my day pack. And B ) I was able to pick one up super cheap off of Amazon Warehouse Deals.  

So far, the Hazard has performed better than expected.  I mostly wanted to use a chest rig to carry my pistol, flashlight, and multitool.  It served that purpose, especially after I upgraded the straps.  

Still, I keep coming back to that Hill People Recon.  I think that I will get my wife to adopt the Hazard rig, since the small size would fit her frame. Then I will use that as an excuse to get the Recon.

On 8/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, MIB said:

Will a Marlin Guide Gun fit in one?  :)   

Watch how well a good tactical sling can work. I have one for each of my shotguns, “assault rifles”, and lever guns.......but I admit that I’ve never used them on my lever guns, nor do I pack it with me. I prefer to keep my rifle in the rack on my Argo and wear the sidearm at all times in an IWB holster.