Which Region Reports the Tallest Bigfoot?

Which region reports the tallest BF?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

gigantor

The SSR includes the reported height of bigfoot as estimated by the witness. It plots a chart of this only for the sightings which contain that information.

I have read and heard many times that the Eastern variety is smaller than PNW bigfoot. What do you think?

After giving everyone a chance to vote, we will run the SSR reports and post the answer here.

• Upvote 1
bipedalist
BFF Patron

I would say significantly smaller in the East although the population may be subject to a higher standard deviation than might be noted in the West.  

• Upvote 1

Hard to say.   Where is your dividing line between east and west?   That could change the numbers a bit.   Some of the "bigfoots" reported in the Bigfoot/UFO reports from the '70s were very tall and might change the balance.

My inclination is to say "west" and I'd expect Canada west of the Rockies along with SE Alaska to have the largest of all.  

The two I've seen ... one was pretty near 7-1/2 feet.  It was sub-adult.   The other, no matter how I try to come up with a value that would be more acceptable, bottom of range for it would be somewhere 10 to 10.5 feet, top end just under 12 feet.    I was using river depth where it was wading, where the water hit on the body, and some guess about leg length related to total height as a yardstick for guestimation.   That's big but finding 24.5 inch (measured) tracks 2 years earlier within 3/4ths of a mile suggests it isn't a wrong guestimate.

• Upvote 4

I've already crunched some numbers but I want the conversation and poll to go on for awhile before sharing (and I'm not voting).

For my efforts, groupings were done to yield similar # of sightings and ignoring all under 6 feet as juveniles.

PNW = WA OR ID BC

SE = GA FL AL

NE = MA NH MA NY PA WV

And if you missed the news, SSR has ALL BFRO reports done now, including Canada.

My spreadsheet is all set up to be able to do other area groupings later on if we want to see them.

Here is the Nebraska sighting heights with my own sighting added in Red. Hopefully BFRO will publish that report soon, plus a few more from the Omaha Reservation.

FYI- You'll find the average height is VERY nearly the same in all areas but is also a moving target. I'm working on NAWAC/TBRC SSR entries now and there are some big critters in Texas.

(EDIT: TX AR OK average height is EXACTLY the same after adding 20 NAWAC sightings in at 7.196 feet)

NE Height.png

• Upvote 1

I would say in general that northern sasquatch, given the extremes of cold weather, would be much larger than their southern cousins. No question the PNW/SE Alaska ones would be enormous. The early reports of northeastern sasquatch, called stone giants in some areas, were massive as well.

• Upvote 1
gigantor

^^^ From the link...

According to a study by Valerius Geist in 1986, Bergmann's rule is false: the correlation with temperature is spurious; instead, Geist found that body size is proportional to the duration of the annual productivity pulse, or food availability per animal during the growing season.[17]

Because many factors can affect body size, there are many critics of Bergmann's Rule. Some believe that latitude itself is a poor predictor of body mass. Examples of other selective factors that may contribute to body mass changes are the size of food items available, effects of body size on success as a predator, effects of body size on vulnerability to predation, and resource availability. For example, if an organism is adapted to tolerate cold temperatures, it may also tolerate periods of food shortage, due to correlation between cold temperature and food scarcity.[5] A larger organism can rely on its greater fat stores to provide the energy needed for survival as well being able to procreate for longer periods.

I have no data to back it up but it always seems sightings in Alaska are of an immense creature, 7-9 feet tall.  Same with the Himalayan species so perhaps the colder weather ones are the biggest.

6 hours ago, Arvedis said:

I have no data to back it up but it always seems sightings in Alaska are of an immense creature, 7-9 feet tall.  Same with the Himalayan species so perhaps the colder weather ones are the biggest.

SSR AK reports filtered to only see those that report a height .

height AK Only.png

5 hours ago, gigantor said:

I'm surprised that there are so few sightings in Alaska with the height description, does that include British Columbia?

I would speculate that to be the same demographic. Deep, remote areas with extremely random human traffic.

• Upvote 2
  • gigantor featured this topic
MagniAesir

I know that Thomas Steenburg has mentioned that an area in Alberta had a number of sightings of sasquatch in the 12 to 14 foot range.

Maybe he will chime in

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • 1 month later...
gigantor
On 9/2/2018 at 9:14 PM, Redbone said:

For my efforts, groupings were done to yield similar # of sightings and ignoring all under 6 feet as juveniles.

PNW = WA OR ID BC

SE = GA FL AL

NE = MA NH MA NY PA WV

Following Redbone's suggestion of selecting State groups with similar number of sightings...  the results are:

WA-OR-ID-BC.jpg

Height-MA-NH-MA-NY-PA-WV.jpg

Height-GA-FL-AL.png

• Upvote 1
  • gigantor featured this topic

This was thrown together in September and may need to be revisited. A lot of NAWAC entries have been done since then that could effect AR, TX, and OK.

For the poll, it seems that the Southeast wins with highest average, but PNW is close behind. Surprised at MI, OH, KY with higher average height than others.

As noted, the key is defining the states and provinces that define each region. When I find time I'll figure out a way to include them all regionally.

Assume all values are in feet in this chart.

842844568_HtCompare.jpg.ef62fd805d51bcb9d007b9d341292b81.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here is a graph and chart of average height by State or Province. Low sample size for some states has a large effect here.

This includes ANY reports that have a height of 6 feet or more. The reports could be Class A, B or C.

112016939_AvgHtChart2.thumb.jpg.78fd6c4537145d6d8fdc560cd17529f1.jpg

Avg Ht by State.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor featured and unfeatured this topic