BobbyO

Camping - Is this the best chance to see Sasquatch ?

Camping - Is this the best chance to see Sasquatch ?  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SWWASAS

Another missing woman in my area.     Missing near Mt Hood.     Did not let anyone know she was going for a day hike and family had no idea where to look until they found her car at the Zig Zag trail head.  Unlikely she is alive at this point.     Someone found her backpack on the trail but they just left it at the ranger station without telling anyone where they found it.   She probably fell off the trail and got seriously injured.   Not only do we have people that do stupid stuff, we have young people that never watch the news to know authorities want to know where the backpack was found.      My own daughter gets all her news from PBS.  

BobbyO
SSR Team

Ok, thank you to the 19 people that voted, the vast majority of you were right..;)

So we are low, real low, where probability is concerned in actually seeing a Sasquatch when Camping, North American Continent wide, with over 700 Reports in total (a very decent sized data set).

This could be down to a number of things imo.

The possible shy yet inquisitive nature of our subject, keeping it's distance in the main and not overly showing itself.

The possible nocturnal behavior of the subject, when human eyesight is at its least effective.

Anyway, chew the bones out of these numbers Guys and Girls - https://my.visme.co/projects/pv0y6emg-camping-report-s 

Sample Sets from random States with some of the largest numbers of Camping Reports

WA and OR at both over 90% of Camping Reports as "Non Visual".

North American Total Reports at 80% (with that big 700+ Report Data Set don't forget).. 

Camping Poll.jpg

Redbone
BFF Donor

There's always more to the story. Most encounters in camps and NOT "sightings" and the stats bear that out. It's more likely that you'll hear knocks or vocalizations, or get hit by a rock.

If you are after a sighting, there are ways to increase your chances. Camping is a very good start. You need to get yourself to where they are. Once you're there it helps to participate in 'other' activities, such as hiking, fishing, hunting. etc...

During my May sighting I was doing several activities that we classify.

1- I was camping

2- I was hiking during the day

3- I was BIgfooting (it's why I was camping AND hiking)

The SSR entries generally reflect what the witness was doing at that moment. (I was hiking).

If I saw it while sitting at the campfire, it would be camping.

If I get hit by a rock while sitting in a chair in dark woods while away from camp (it has happened to me) then It's "Bigfooting" because I'm neither hiking nor camping at that very moment.

So don't let stats keep you from camping out if you are after encounters. It is a good way to increase your odds. Just make sure you do more than just sit at your tent or campfire. Explore the area and pay attention.

• Upvote 2

BigTreeWalker

I have to wonder about some non-visual reports. Are the people reporting experienced outdoors people or just out for a weekend getaway? Now thrown objects, knocks, or raided but not destroyed coolers are one thing. But most of the time when it comes to hoots, howls, barks, growls, screeches, and lots of other various noises we should probably consider the usual suspects and not jump to BF. I've had bears run right along the wall of my tent. Bull elk walk around in the dark and deer come in and check things out. My doors and windows are usually open on my tent with screens. When I hear something outside I do look to see what it is. I also put trailcams around my camps facing toward camp at various distances out. I also have a very good flashlight handy to check things out. If you do that be sure and put it against the screen before you turn it on. ;)

Right now I'm in elk camp for two weeks. I've had what I would call bigfoot experiences, but they were while we were hunting and not in camp. Some of the bones with the tooth impressions were found within a mile of our camp a few years back. But nothing in the last dozen years has raided our coolers or stood around in the dark with glowing eyes watching camp... at least that we have ever noticed. 

Huntster
BFF Donor
2 hours ago, Redbone said:

........If you are after a sighting, there are ways to increase your chances. Camping is a very good start. You need to get yourself to where they are........

Yup. I still remember my father-in-law telling me that the more time spent afield increases your chances of harvest. It’s true, even if you aren’t hunting. If you’re in or around the woods, you will see more wildlife. 

.......During my May sighting I was doing several activities that we classify.

1- I was camping

2- I was hiking during the day

3- I was BIgfooting (it's why I was camping AND hiking.........

And, in accordance with your statement “get yourself to where they are”, doing these outdoor activities in prime sasquatch habitat is key. For example, outdoorsy stuff in Skamania County beats surfing the north beach on Oahu if you hope to see a sasquatch (but if you want to get mauled by a tiger shark, you really ought to get yourself a ticket to Honolulu rent that surfboard, and paddle out past the surf towing a bloody chicken carcass........)

I’ve decided that I want to become a deer hunter in California. First, October (deer season) boasts a high sasquatch report frequency in Humboldt/Trinity/Del Norte/Shasta counties. Secondly, out-of-state deer hunting licenses/tags are fairly cheap and over-the-counter. Thirdly, that license and tag(s) enable me to run around carrying my 30-06 and get blood all over my hands and clothes. Fourthly, a certain location in that region boasts a very high deer harvest record. Finally, when deer hunting season is over, winter steelhead fishing in the middle Klamath is just starting, offering another month or two of wonderful outdoor harvest/sporting activity in prime sasquatch habitat, and after many folks have left the area.

1980squatch
On 9/10/2018 at 1:14 PM, BobbyO said:

This could be down to a number of things imo.

The possible shy yet inquisitive nature of our subject, keeping it's distance in the main and not overly showing itself.

This is the camp I am in - it explains a lot.  They avoid us, they are not curious about us we are objects of disdain.  We see them when we surprise them and catch them off guard.  Hiking along a cleared trail downwind.  Driving fast at night.  Just being at the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time, depending on how you feel about it...

BigTreeWalker
On 9/10/2018 at 2:50 PM, Huntster said:

...doing these outdoor activities in prime sasquatch habitat is key. For example, outdoorsy stuff in Skamania County beats surfing the north beach on Oahu if you hope to see a sasquatch...

Which is currently where I'm hunting right now... Skamania County that is. 

• Upvote 1

Huntster
BFF Donor

Nice. Unfortunately, I’m fishing for dorado out of Dana Point, CA this coming Wednesday. There are 40 million people around here, and zero sasquatches. 

BigTreeWalker

The dorado fishing sounds interesting but that's too many people all in one place. ;)

Huntster
BFF Donor

This Pacific warming stuff isn’t all bad. Tropical fish migrating north means I can catch them here without visiting the civil war down south of here. But, in all honesty, I’d prefer being home in Alaska moose hunting. 

gigantor
BFF Donor

On 9/10/2018 at 1:14 PM, BobbyO said:

WA and OR at both over 90% of Camping Reports as "Non Visual".

When you say "Non Visual", do you mean Class B reports?

Below are all Class A "Visual" camping reports in the SSR

camping-states.jpg

camping-sighttime.jpg

• Upvote 1

bipedalist
BFF Patron

Interesting, though my sighitng is not in the database I have almost more in one incident of multiples than the entire visual database for the state of NC.  By time of sighting mine was nearly at the modal apex around 9:40PM eastern daylight savings, just around civil twilight of 7/8/2008.

Wow!  Guess there may be some underreporting at work in NC anyway. 

Edited by bipedalist

gigantor
BFF Donor
17 minutes ago, bipedalist said:

Interesting, though my sighitng is not in the database I have almost more in one incident of multiples than the entire visual database for the state of NC.  By time of sighting mine was nearly at the modal apex around 9:40PM eastern daylight savings, just around civil twilight of 7/8/2008.

Wow!  Guess there may be some underreporting at work in NC anyway. 

That's for camping reports only...  below are all Class A for NC

nc.jpg

nc-sighttime.jpg

bipedalist
BFF Patron

Whew!  Thought something strange.  Interesting to know I tripled the sightings in the county where mine occurred in one evening, though unreported, not uninvestigated actually before the sighting.    n of 40 is still small however

Edited by bipedalist

Huntster
BFF Donor
3 hours ago, gigantor said:

........Below are all Class A "Visual" camping reports in the SSR

camping-states.jpg

Whoa! California is way skewed on that graph!