Thermal videos and buying a monocular

wiiawiwb

5 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

Explorer,  was your FLIR unit handheld or on a tripod?.

Catmandoo,

The images of me at 150 ft and the 2 guys at the lake were done with a tripod.  I actually backpacked a tripod into the lake area because I wanted to keep video steady.

The image of the cows was with hand-held unit.  I had to scramble up a granite hill to look down at the meadow, so did not want to carry tripod.

I am a photographer, and let me tell you that bringing gear to a photo shoot is way different than photography in the field. Even doing crime scene, I literally had a van full of gear at the curb. 

That at being said, thermals will have to get a lot better before I spring for the cost. The thermal on my tank (when Uncle Sam let me borrow one for 5 years) Now that will get a definitive image. 

All I see thermals being useful for are as a gunsite or knowing “something is there”. I’m looking hard at the ATN line, but they are pricey. 

What else are you looking for?  "Something is there" works totally for me. With all due respect, ATN does not bring the full package of cost/features that Pulsar does at a $1,500+ price point.

20 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

What else are you looking for?  "Something is there" works totally for me. With all due respect, ATN does not bring the full package of cost/features that Pulsar does at a $1,500+ price point.

That is true about ATN, I have not put much research into thermal.  If I have the means to spend on one, then I am a “buy once, cry once” purchaser for important gear so I likely would go higher end than ATN. 

What I would be looking for is something that will give enough detail to know it’s not a guy in a Ghillie suit. The one Norseman posted definitely does. Pricey though, even the cheaper models. Out of my price range...that is a lot of gas money!

21 hours ago, Caenus said:

That is true about ATN, I have not put much research into thermal.  If I have the means to spend on one, then I am a “buy once, cry once” purchaser for important gear so I likely would go higher end than ATN. 

What I would be looking for is something that will give enough detail to know it’s not a guy in a Ghillie suit. The one Norseman posted definitely does. Pricey though, even the cheaper models. Out of my price range...that is a lot of gas money!

Your not going to need alot of gas money with that scope.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:25 PM, norseman said:

This is the one I want!

I'm convinced the "best" thermal will vary based on how a person uses it and, most important, the environment it will used in. For example, the Triijon above would be a blessing if used in open fields. Conversely, it would offer a bit of a challenge used in a heavily-wooded forest. The FOV is only 7 degrees, its base magnification is 4.5x, it is very heavy, and it's meant to be used as a scope rather than a spotter. To its credit, if you can identify something, you'll have fantastic thermal imagery to identify what the thermal has discovered.

I think that for the areas many of us go, there is little to no chance a human is going to be out there, in the dark, and maybe even in a ghillie suit. If it's bidepal and sizeable, it will be a sasquatch, not a human. That's the benefit of backpacking into areas that are off-trail that others don't venture to go, especially at night.

Most thermals capture something whereas the Triijon will capture the lips moving which could be fascinating if money is not object. For that cost, I'd buy three Pulsar XP28F and use 2 on a fixed stand and one handheld as a scanner. You'd have much less area to cover with the handheld so you could focus more on less space.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic