Griz dont climb trees.....right?

norseman

An excellent example of wildlife doing something that common lore says doesn't happen.  Quite a few people think sasquatch won't or can't climb trees due to their size.  I just smile and politely go on my way.  I guess people think that because they've lost their ability to climb a tree when they get to be an adult that sasquatch do too.  As the video shows quite clearly, just because something is big doesn't mean that it lacks the ability or will to do something that we think they shouldn't be able to do.  Timothy Treadwell comes to mind.  Hubris leads to misfortune.    

• Upvote 1

I remember watching a documentary about grizzly attacks. I think Dr Stephen Herrero was highlighted. It talked about how a woman jogger, and her two friends, encountered a grizzly on the trail while jogging. Two woman backed away but the third, Isabelle Dube, climbed a tree. The grizzly went after Dube and it climbed 31' to finally reach and extract her from the tree. She lost her life.

I remember them saying it was the highest recorded such climb by a grizzly while attacking a human. She climbed the equivalent of a three-story building and the grizzly still got her.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2005/06/06/grizzly-bear-kills-woman-in-canada.html

LOL.......seems like that guy had lots of places to shelter other than that tree. 

I’ve been up in trees with grizzlies under me several times while baiting black bears. They never once climbed up after me, nor did the black bears, but a few expressed interest or curiosity in me. I think they were primarily interested in eating up the bait.

There are two videos there guys. The first video is a sow griz chasing a black bear up a tree repeatedly. Here in the states. Wyoming I think.

The second video is from Russia, and the bear could be a pet, dunno.

But its still in a tree too!

• 2 months later...
Admin

for benefit of the slider

firefox_2018-11-20_13-02-43.png

• gigantor featured this topic
BFF Patron

Don't have to worry about them climbing, many are big enough to chew through your tree or knock it down if they want you bad enough. 

Just look at how a grizzly claw scars a tree and you don't need to know a lot more. 

Edited by bipedalist
  • Haha 1

• gigantor unfeatured this topic
BFF Patron

Sad news out of the Yukon Monday.     A trapper was coming back to his cabin and got charged by a Grizzly.     He shot the bear dead then when he got to the cabin found his wife and 10 months old child had been killed by the same bear.  These idiots that want to reintroduce them into areas are insane.  

1 hour ago, SWWASAS said:

Sad news out of the Yukon Monday.     A trapper was coming back to his cabin and got charged by a Grizzly.     He shot the bear dead then when he got to the cabin found his wife and 10 months old child had been killed by the same bear.  These idiots that want to reintroduce them into areas are insane.  

Wow.