This is my gear...what am I missing and what is pointless?

Caenus

I’m sure this has been done before, but hopefully this is not a nuisance!

I’ve collected a few things over the years and of course I look like I’m going on safari for even a short outing.  This is my current field gear.

First, the wagon:

4EE714E6-AE16-45F3-97F7-D2837AE1130B.jpeg

A “new to me” Jeep Commander.  2” lift, Treadwright Wardens.  Pretty capable for fire roads and plenty of storage.

Next is my “Camera Kit”.

Includes:

Main camera Nikon D3200.  300mm lens, 50mm lens, cheap kit lens.

Sony voice recorder.

Backup long zoom camera.

Flash.

Quad Proof (water, dust, etc) HD video camera.

3B7E24EB-EE24-4F19-A261-D53C4EABF24F.jpeg

Next is my “Surveillance Kit”

Includes:

Two game cams

Two Cube cams

Coleman action cam (2 spare batteries)

USB phone/device charger

Various charging cables

FRS radios

SD Card book (about 10 16-32gb cards)

Sony voice recorder

7DF534A0-00A3-49FC-B9A5-CEDCD806CD3E.jpeg

All of these take power, so batteries:

442FB974-54A3-41B8-9123-C194DAD989DE.jpeg

...and more power.  Homemade solar generator using a Rigid storage box.  Triple outlet in the front with USB charging ports and remote control for the 800W inverter.  Battery is a 100AH gel/closed cell.  

Two solar panels, 40W each that can charge the main battery or a cell phone/camera in about 40 minutes. (Photo will not upload)

Last is the area lighting.  3, 30W LED landscape floodlights.  They will light up a football field sized area like day and will run for about 90 minutes on the solar generator.  Again, this can be remotely lit (like from inside a tent).

1A1153DC-5E02-4312-BC5F-E92E73FFE078.jpeg

5CFEC5B5-418B-4F12-B2F2-A3C31170F867.jpeg

Of course...firearms.

Home built AR15 w/77gr Barnes Tac-X.

G20 with 220 grain hard cast and laser/light combo.

Tikka T3 in .270 with 140 gr superformance.

FC341FC9-6491-4B82-8AAA-93870A81C0C8.jpeg

Solar generator...

72C23AD0-DB5A-479B-A260-7A091762766F.jpeg

B17C587E-A687-4CF1-B5AC-5DB667D76FC5.jpeg

Not pictured:

DNA sample kit:

Includes 2”x 2” ziploc baggies for hair samples.

Sterile sampling utensils:

Tweezers

Forceps

scalpel

Pliers

Surgical masks

Sterile gloves

Sterile paper bags

Sharpieand 1”x2” labels

Casting kit:

1 gallon bags with premeasured plaster (not really plaster, I don’t remember the name of it...came i a 20lb bag)

Bump helmet with action cam mount

Ghillie suit

So the question is:

What situation am I not prepared for?  My primary goal is definitive video, followed by definitive still photography and if possible and safe, to harvest a body.  

I do have an extensive first aid kit (packet by my wife who used to be an ER nurse).

I have camping gear as well as clothing obviously as well as a packed 72hr bugout bag in the vehicle at all times.  I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo with a filter straw, trauma kit, water, mainstay survival rations, folding saw and a packable bag (to harvest a body part if necessary) and I always, ALWAYS have a pair of good gloves, Gerber multitool, G20 and general purpose knife on me when more than 50ft from camp.

Edited by Caenus
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Caenus said:

I’m sure this has been done before, but hopefully this is not a nuisance!

I’ve collected a few things over the years and of course I look like I’m going on safari for even a short outing.  This is my current field gear.

First, the wagon:

4EE714E6-AE16-45F3-97F7-D2837AE1130B.jpeg

A “new to me” Jeep Commander.  2” lift, Treadwright Wardens.  Pretty capable for fire roads and plenty of storage.

Next is my “Camera Kit”.

Includes:

Main camera Nikon D3200.  300mm lens, 50mm lens, cheap kit lens.

Sony voice recorder.

Backup long zoom camera.

Flash.

Quad Proof (water, dust, etc) HD video camera.

3B7E24EB-EE24-4F19-A261-D53C4EABF24F.jpeg

Next is my “Surveillance Kit”

Includes:

Two game cams

Two Cube cams

Coleman action cam (2 spare batteries)

USB phone/device charger

Various charging cables

FRS radios

SD Card book (about 10 16-32gb cards)

Sony voice recorder

7DF534A0-00A3-49FC-B9A5-CEDCD806CD3E.jpeg

All of these take power, so batteries:

442FB974-54A3-41B8-9123-C194DAD989DE.jpeg

...and more power.  Homemade solar generator using a Rigid storage box.  Triple outlet in the front with USB charging ports and remote control for the 800W inverter.  Battery is a 100AH gel/closed cell.  

Two solar panels, 40W each that can charge the main battery or a cell phone/camera in about 40 minutes. (Photo will not upload)

Last is the area lighting.  3, 30W LED landscape floodlights.  They will light up a football field sized area like day and will run for about 90 minutes on the solar generator.  Again, this can be remotely lit (like from inside a tent).

1A1153DC-5E02-4312-BC5F-E92E73FFE078.jpeg

5CFEC5B5-418B-4F12-B2F2-A3C31170F867.jpeg

Of course...firearms.

Home built AR15 w/77gr Barnes Tac-X.

G20 with 220 grain hard cast and laser/light combo.

Tikka T3 in .270 with 140 gr superformance.

FC341FC9-6491-4B82-8AAA-93870A81C0C8.jpeg

Solar generator...

72C23AD0-DB5A-479B-A260-7A091762766F.jpeg

B17C587E-A687-4CF1-B5AC-5DB667D76FC5.jpeg

Not pictured:

DNA sample kit:

Includes 2”x 2” ziploc baggies for hair samples.

Sterile sampling utensils:

Tweezers

Forceps

scalpel

Pliers

Surgical masks

Sterile gloves

Sterile paper bags

Sharpieand 1”x2” labels

Casting kit:

1 gallon bags with premeasured plaster (not really plaster, I don’t remember the name of it...came i a 20lb bag)

Bump helmet with action cam mount

Ghillie suit

So the question is:

What situation am I not prepared for?  My primary goal is definitive video, followed by definitive still photography and if possible and safe, to harvest a body.  

I do have an extensive first aid kit (packet by my wife who used to be an ER nurse).

I have camping gear as well as clothing obviously as well as a packed 72hr bugout bag in the vehicle at all times.  I carry a Maxpedition Jumbo with a filter straw, trauma kit, water, mainstay survival rations, folding saw and a packable bag (to harvest a body part if necessary) and I always, ALWAYS have a pair of good gloves, Gerber multitool, G20 and general purpose knife on me when more than 50ft from camp.

Im thinking your missing that Trijicon IR Hunter! ;)

You are missing a horse that goes under the cowboy hat.

What percent of your vehicle payload does your equipment take?

The lights will drive everything a quarter mile away. You choose 'white light'. Did you consider infrared lights? Have you set your cameras white balance for the LED lighting? I assume your equipment has something like C1, C2 settings for custom white balance.

Your camp will have a lot of 'plastic' smells. Gun oil too.

You have a large EMF footprint. Do the spiders and ants like you?

8 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

You are missing a horse that goes under the cowboy hat.

What percent of your vehicle payload does your equipment take?

The lights will drive everything a quarter mile away. You choose 'white light'. Did you consider infrared lights? Have you set your cameras white balance for the LED lighting? I assume your equipment has something like C1, C2 settings for custom white balance.

Your camp will have a lot of 'plastic' smells. Gun oil too.

You have a large EMF footprint. Do the spiders and ants like you?

Horse was the first picture...cowboys rode in wagons too. ;)

Equipment takes about 30%. Camping gear another 30%.  Nothing is particularly heavy except for the generator. We generally travel with two vehicles, the Wrangler and the Commander, if the family is coming up because the wife usually comes up the next day..after camp is set up and most of the firewood is gathered.  Lol. The cooler takes up the most room.

The lights do not stay on.  Essentially I use them if I need to turn my immediate surroundings to day.  If they come on, I either want to scare everything within a quarter mile away, there is some type of emergency, or I am actively engaging a subject (either with photographic equipment or firearms)...I use it like a “light ambush”. The experiences I have had involved multiple subjects in opposite directions. I am in the “they can see IR” camp so there is not as much of a difference between white light and IR to them, but there is to me.  The lights are intended to positively ID something and everything else within 50 yds of camp and negate the cover of darkness, which humans are weak in and they are not.  In fact using shadows is a tactic I’ve seen used out of habit, and I used in the military.  Light up a flashlight on a redirection noise (thrown stick or rock) and they have time to fade into deeper cover.  Light up the whole area and catch them in the open, shock them and they hopefully make a mistake.  They were quite useful when we had our two young daughters and dog freaking out on a family camping trip and a pack of coyotes were skulking around. Busted them and they did not come back.  I do like the idea of adding an IR filter if I ever see a use for night vision.  

The cameras either auto set for led (or select the closest setting for true color) or I can set manually.  Since I shoot RAW anyway, I can make the adjustment in the photo lab.

I SMELL like gun oil and plastic from driving for 3 hrs in a mostly plastic vehicle with guns in it.  I do not think this bothers them. Most campers have quite a bit of plastic and gun oil, vehicle engine lubricant smells. Etc.  I am not under the impression that I am invisible to them...the intent is to keep my capabilities and intentions invisible. They come in regardless. I suppose they don’t have much else to do...I doubt they are watching the nightly news or attending social events.

Regarding emf footprint, the capacity in the batteries is likely not much of an attractant. The lights, if turned on, attract plenty of bugs quickly. I do not typically have bug problems in my areas. 

3 hours ago, Caenus said:

Most definitely.  I would have to sell the bike to afford it though!

*I should note the Barnes Tac X are 70gr, not 77.

Just teasin! Your setup looks great!

Thank you sir!

Still need someone to watch my 6 (or watch theirs) if you are ever near AZ and want to see one,give me a shout!

Edited by Caenus
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Caenus said:

Horse was the first picture...cowboys rode in wagons too. ;)

Equipment takes about 30%. Camping gear another 30%.  Nothing is particularly heavy except for the generator. We generally travel with two vehicles, the Wrangler and the Commander, if the family is coming up because the wife usually comes up the next day..after camp is set up and most of the firewood is gathered.  Lol. The cooler takes up the most room.

The lights do not stay on.  Essentially I use them if I need to turn my immediate surroundings to day.  If they come on, I either want to scare everything within a quarter mile away, there is some type of emergency, or I am actively engaging a subject (either with photographic equipment or firearms)...I use it like a “light ambush”. The experiences I have had involved multiple subjects in opposite directions. I am in the “they can see IR” camp so there is not as much of a difference between white light and IR to them, but there is to me.  The lights are intended to positively ID something and everything else within 50 yds of camp and negate the cover of darkness, which humans are weak in and they are not.  In fact using shadows is a tactic I’ve seen used out of habit, and I used in the military.  Light up a flashlight on a redirection noise (thrown stick or rock) and they have time to fade into deeper cover.  Light up the whole area and catch them in the open, shock them and they hopefully make a mistake.  They were quite useful when we had our two young daughters and dog freaking out on a family camping trip and a pack of coyotes were skulking around. Busted them and they did not come back.  I do like the idea of adding an IR filter if I ever see a use for night vision.  

The cameras either auto set for led (or select the closest setting for true color) or I can set manually.  Since I shoot RAW anyway, I can make the adjustment in the photo lab.

I SMELL like gun oil and plastic from driving for 3 hrs in a mostly plastic vehicle with guns in it.  I do not think this bothers them. Most campers have quite a bit of plastic and gun oil, vehicle engine lubricant smells. Etc.  I am not under the impression that I am invisible to them...the intent is to keep my capabilities and intentions invisible. They come in regardless. I suppose they don’t have much else to do...I doubt they are watching the nightly news or attending social events.

Regarding emf footprint, the capacity in the batteries is likely not much of an attractant. The lights, if turned on, attract plenty of bugs quickly. I do not typically have bug problems in my areas. 

I like your setup, very well thought out.    I would emphasize a bit more on the audio aspect for the sake of detection, I can turn you on to some good audio equipment that wont break the bank. 

I know some good guys down in AZ that you could work with, let me know if your interested. 

53 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Nice setup........but if you’re in Arizona, where’s your snake bite kit?

Lol.  Everyone thinks there are rattlers under every log and rock here.  Maybe every OTHER rock.  Never had a problem with them.  Spiders...I hate spiders since I decided an M4 is not sufficient firepower to defend against camel spiders...incendiary devices work though. I currently have a nice purple bite on my foot from the backyard.  Doc says maybe brown recluse. Apparently it was on the underside of my flip flop strap.  It’s 3 days and starting to go away so I get to keep my toes.  

Truthfully, snake bite kits are not recommended by any emergency personnel here unless I can pack around, and keep refrigerated unexpired anti-venom.  Closest hospital is an hour away (30 mins driving plus 30mins to get help to get there).  Best bet is to get there.

1 hour ago, NathanFooter said:

I like your setup, very well thought out.    I would emphasize a bit more on the audio aspect for the sake of detection, I can turn you on to some good audio equipment that wont break the bank. 

I know some good guys down in AZ that you could work with, let me know if your interested. 

I would be happy to get in touch.

I can add some better mics for the recorder.  To me audio is too ambiguous...plus I have pretty bad tinnitus so it is a sense I rely little on.  I know I miss a lot.  Nighttime can be maddening listening for sounds over the constant PEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I’ve tried game ears, etc...doesn’t really help.  I’m trying some home remedies based on nutrition to quiet some of it, trying more exercise to get my BP as low as possible I am in pretty decent shape for 40-something...I did an Ironman when I turned 40 not too long ago...and laying off caffeine and other stimulants...ugh...but not much promise there.

Edited by Caenus

10 minutes ago, Caenus said:

Lol.  Everyone thinks there are rattlers under every log and rock here.  Maybe every OTHER rock.........

LOL......at least every third rock or log. My best snake bite strategy for Arizona is to stay away until New Years Day, then enjoy the very end of dove season while the disgusting serpents sleep.

44 minutes ago, Huntster said:

LOL......at least every third rock or log. My best snake bite strategy for Arizona is to stay away until New Years Day, then enjoy the very end of dove season while the disgusting serpents sleep.

I spent 6-7 years hunting everything we could find on a buddies S Texas ranch almost every other weekend.  We built an elevated platform for the bed of his truck for dove season because of all the snakes there. Waaaay too many.  He actually turned it into a business and buys late model trucks/Tahoe’s, etc and turns them into high end hunting platforms and sells them for 6 figures.  I have to say it is the way to hunt.

• gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic