This is my gear...what am I missing and what is pointless?

Caenus

9 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

You listed a first aid kit that was put together by your wife. The contents would be interesting........

I would also be very interested in this kit.

Today I picked up a 'flash-bang pistol' made for entertaining bears. Made by 'Orion'. Have not tested it yet.

I also carry an Olin flare gun with both signal flares as well as a small Pelican case of spare flares and bear bangers. I also have not tested them, primarily because I doubt I’d need them. The gun is in a small, plastic pistol case with a few of each cartridges, and the case in in one of my two day bags. One day bag goes on my back when I leave camp or my Argo, and the other stays with my Argo. The flare gun stays with th3 Argo. I can only carry so much reasonably when afoot. I believe that the bangers are best to discourage curious bears around camp, giving them a chance to leave and live before the rifle comes out.

http://www.orionsignals.com/products/animal-deterrents/product/195.html

Edited by Huntster

2 hours ago, Caenus said:

I dont want to sound like I’m out intimidating other hikers and campers which is what this can be construed as.  What I’m trying to convey is the mindset of aggressively acting on opportunities to finally get the evidence. My space is where I am.  If someone or something enters that space then I want to make sure that #1 I am aware of it and #2 that I am aware of and able to determine and respond appropriately to their intentions whether it is another person or a squatch. :) (Or if a squatch, then execute my intentions)

A lot depends on both reading the situation to determine whether to move forward to try and get something as it flees or wait and catch more of it by not moving.  Another big factor is the environment things occur in. Where I am, the woods are very thick and there is blown down all over. It would be very difficult to move quickly in the full light of day and impossible to move quickly in the black of night. 

My strategy with a thermal thus far, and as limited as it, has been to move very slowly, stop for a bit, then move slowly again scanning all the while. I try to identify a game trail or hiking trail during the day that will allow me to do night opts more easily and quietly at night.  If I get something in the thermal, I stop all movement and am silent capturing it on video. Often it is just a deer but until it can be determined and ruled out, I stay silent. Moreover, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a sasquatch to be hunting the deer unbeknowst to me.  That would be quite something to get that interaction memorialized!

BFF Patron

There have been many sighting reports from quiet hunters in deer stands.    That might be something to try if you just want a sit and wait.      I am guessing that BF has no natural enemies that can leap down from above.     A cougar would not take on an adult BF.    So I doubt BF ever spend much time looking up like we do or should be doing.

A town near me has a shoot to kill order for police this weekend because a cougar was prowling around some schools on Friday.   People better keep their tan dogs off the street.        They stopped an afternoon football game, had the local kids get back in school,  and the visiting team shelter in their bus.  

33 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

There have been many sighting reports from quiet hunters in deer stands.    That might be something to try if you just want a sit and wait.      I am guessing that BF has no natural enemies that can leap down from above.     A cougar would not take on an adult BF.    So I doubt BF ever spend much time looking up like we do or should be doing.

A town near me has a shoot to kill order for police this weekend because a cougar was prowling around some schools on Friday.   People better keep their tan dogs off the street.        They stopped an afternoon football game, had the local kids get back in school,  and the visiting team shelter in their bus.  

I have been looking hard at back packable climbing tree stands as an option.  

1 hour ago, wiiawiwb said:

A lot depends on both reading the situation to determine whether to move forward to try and get something as it flees or wait and catch more of it by not moving.  Another big factor is the environment things occur in. Where I am, the woods are very thick and there is blown down all over. It would be very difficult to move quickly in the full light of day and impossible to move quickly in the black of night. 

My strategy with a thermal thus far, and as limited as it, has been to move very slowly, stop for a bit, then move slowly again scanning all the while. I try to identify a game trail or hiking trail during the day that will allow me to do night opts more easily and quietly at night.  If I get something in the thermal, I stop all movement and am silent capturing it on video. Often it is just a deer but until it can be determined and ruled out, I stay silent. Moreover, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a sasquatch to be hunting the deer unbeknowst to me.  That would be quite something to get that interaction memorialized!

I will have some trial and error it sounds like. There are quite a few roads every so often here so following an ATV trail would give a fairly quiet walk and good mobility. 

Edited by Caenus
Wrong word...stooped autocorrect!