This is my gear...what am I missing and what is pointless?

Caenus

6 hours ago, Belpherion said:

A respectable set-up.  Props to you.  I'll give you a couple of upgrade suggestions for future purchases.  Trade up from the D3200 to a D7200.  The 3000 and 5000 series are entry level DSLR cameras and cannot survive any kind of weather or dust. The D7200 has weather sealing and can handle moderate rain and dust if you also attach a weather sealed lens.  The 35mm 1.8 DX lens is fairly capable lens and has the dust/moisture seal, fairly wide aperture for lower light use, and it is affordable.  A Tamron 18-300 is a nice daytime walk-around lens, but not as good in low light.  The D500 is what I use, but it isn't cheap.  I use a D7200 as a backup body and it has served quite well.  It's an intermediate camera but it is affordable, especially if you find a good used one at Adorama or B&H.  One huge benefit to the D7200 is dual card slots.  Pop a couple of 32 gig (Lexar platinum II UH1 or Sandisk Ultra Class 10 UHS1) cards and you can set up to send photos to one slot and video to the other slot or run 1 slot as primary and the other as a duplicate so you have a backup.  SD cards go bad after about 1000 formats, so having a backup can save your bacon.  I've been a wildlife photographer for 30 years.  Find Moose Peterson on YouTube.  He has some great tips on setups.  I mostly shoot in Aperture Priority, set my ISO fairly high to keep the shutter speed up over 1/200 of a second.  I highly recommend a battery grip as well.  Once you use one, you will never shoot a DSLR without one.  

Thank you.  The D3200 has worked well.  I was about to move to the D7500 a few months back, but no I am interested in the Z line of mirrorless cameras.  There seems to be a lot of potential there and an overall lighter body.  I had a D810...which was my primary camera, but it met with an unfortunate fate...some Alaskan Airline baggage handler now has a great $5000 camera kit (with my good 50mm prime and 200mm lenses..I find it hard to talk about...so many mistakes).  I was traveling to Seattle for a company event as the photog.  I do photography (mostly senior portraits, events, weddings, etc for extra cash).  The D3200 is the placeholder until I decide whether the Z series are worth the coin.  I like the totally silent operation and FAST image capture.  Do you have any opinions on mirrorless? 

I love the concept of the mirrorless.  They are getting better.  I've test run both of the Z7 and the Z6.  My opinion is they flubbed it bigtime.  Neither camera is quite there yet, but I'm hopeful that they will get the next iteration of this line right.  Nikon is way late to the mirrorless market and to enter this late in the game with products that are this far off from the competition is not encouraging.  Fujifilm pretty much has the lock on the mirrorless market right now.  The X-T3 is the big buzz right now and I have to say it is worth the money for the way I shoot.  

It blows that your camera got swiped.  I always carry my gear in carry-on for that exact reason.  

• gigantor unfeatured this topic

I scanned the lists and did not see the following: spring loaded automatic center punch. I use these for lay out on my projects and always have one in my vehicle in the center console. This is the tool that will blow out the glass so you can escape a flooded/overturned vehicle. Law Enforcement thinks that we use these to car prowl. The automatic center punch does not require brute force and is used one-handed.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, just added some ATN gear. 

Binox HD 4x-20x night vision binoculars. Quality is good and the IR spotlight is powerful. Image is as clear as I remember on Gen4 PVS7’s. I think they will work out well.

Second is the Thor 4 1.25x-5x thermal scope. I am quite impressed with the image quality straight out of the box without even messing with the settings yet. Now I have to figure out how to work all the menus. Lol

I am working on getting back out to the field sometime in the next week. I will take some videos and figure out how to upload them!

On 9/27/2018 at 12:22 AM, Catmandoo said:

I scanned the lists and did not see the following: spring loaded automatic center punch. I use these for lay out on my projects and always have one in my vehicle in the center console. This is the tool that will blow out the glass so you can escape a flooded/overturned vehicle. Law Enforcement thinks that we use these to car prowl. The automatic center punch does not require brute force and is used one-handed.

When I worked for the PD, I picked up a rescue knife that I always kept on me. It has a glass punch and seatbelt cutter. That knife is always in my pocket and goes in the center console when on trips. 

I will do a separate write up for the vehicle. I’ve basically turned my Jeep Commander into an RV. Lol. 

B16F8012-05A4-4F83-81EA-EA6124A77630.jpeg

I even have a wi-fi pan/tilt baby cam with a dedicated monitor that includes night vision and recording. I am very strongly considering mounting it on the roof with a magnet. Lol. I have an iPad mounted in the console that I use for maps and navigation. I could theoretically use the pan/tilt camera to check the campground at night remotely from the iPad OR set it facing forward as a sort of dash cam while cruising the trails. 

Edited by Caenus
  • Upvote 1

Admin
1 hour ago, Caenus said:

and figure out how to upload them!

Let me know if you need help...

Can't wait to see the Commander mods. Please post them on the squatching vehicle thread.

40 minutes ago, gigantor said:

Let me know if you need help...

Can't wait to see the Commander mods. Please post them on the squatching vehicle thread.

Will do!

You listed a first aid kit that was put together by your wife. The contents would be interesting. Do you carry a 'padded aluminum splint'?  I have one and small rolls of Gorilla tape to secure it if the need arises. I believe smaller padded aluminum splints are made for pets.

Today I picked up a 'flash-bang pistol' made for entertaining bears. Made by 'Orion'. Have not tested it yet.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2018 at 3:22 AM, Catmandoo said:

Sure enough....

8 hours ago, Caenus said:

Second is the Thor 4 1.25x-5x thermal scope. I am quite impressed with the image quality straight out of the box without even messing with the settings yet. Now I have to figure out how to work all the menus. Lol 

Glad you got one.  I think a thermal imager is the most game-changing piece of equipment one can acquire. Now, you can enter their world on their terms and level the playing field.  Playback a recorded snoring at  your campsite and sit out and wait with the thermal and scan for something sneaking up to tale a look.

I've recorded something on my newly-acquired thermal that is either a person or sasquatch.  I haven't excluded either one yet and am doing body-proportion analysis with the recorded figure. It's something that I would never have been known was there without the thermal imager. Good luck with it.

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Glad you got one.  I think a thermal imager is the most game-changing piece of equipment one can acquire. Now, you can enter their world on their terms and level the playing field.  Playback a recorded snoring at  your campsite and sit out and wait with the thermal and scan for something sneaking up to tale a look.

I've recorded something on my newly-acquired thermal that is either a person or sasquatch.  I haven't excluded either one yet and am doing body-proportion analysis with the recorded figure. It's something that I would never have been known was there without the thermal imager. Good luck with it.

I don’t want to be a jerk, (nor hijack my own thread, so please pm me if you’d prefer) but can you explain this?  I’ve always wondered why people do not approach these objects? I know situation dictates, but if you saw it, did it run away/elude you?  I know some people’s philosophy is to observe, but why not move in closer? I know terrain, foliage, etc, can hinder pursuit but just curious why more people do not chase the objects in the images down?  I’m sure some don’t want to pressure them and chase them off, but in my experience, once they (BF) get a good look at you they lose interest so you may as well press the issue?

If it is a person...you can easily catch them, or they will have to turn a light on to evade, if they don’t, and get away then highly likely a squatch (which a lot of people do not want to come out and say).  I am pretty decent in the woods and someone with a thermal or night vision would be able to easily outmaneuver me. If someone is skulking around in the woods, trying to clandestinely watch me, then that is more incentive to confront them and determine their intent imo.  In a crowded campground, I wouldn’t be pointing a weapon at them, but I would (and have) caught people near camp...with no excuse, and it’s rude.  Sometimes they’ve gone out to take a leak or their evening walk went a little long and they can’t find their own camp, lol.  To me it is the same as making eye contact and making sure someone in a dark parking lot knows you see them and you are on guard. After 30 years of camping in that area I’ve had coolers full of beer disappear while on a hike (when leisure camping...no guns out those weekends), sleeping bags stolen, lanterns, etc.  Those I’ve caught at night did not come back after confronted and probably thought twice about it in the future after a polite “It’s dangerous sneaking around in the woods at night. Some people may not be so polite and it’s a good way to get shot” lecture. If I run across their camp during the day I make sure to give them a big polite acknowledgment and take note of their vehicle, and they see me do that, etc.  Most campgrounds have drunk, firearm wielding urbanites playing grizzly Adams for the weekend looking for an excuse to shoot off their guns. I make sure my camp is well illuminated early in the evening so none of those idiots decide to shoot at some beer cans in my direction. 

Back on topic, I am super excited about the potential of the thermal.  

6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

You listed a first aid kit that was put together by your wife. The contents would be interesting. Do you carry a 'padded aluminum splint'?  I have one and small rolls of Gorilla tape to secure it if the need arises. I believe smaller padded aluminum splints are made for pets.

Today I picked up a 'flash-bang pistol' made for entertaining bears. Made by 'Orion'. Have not tested it yet.

I will gladly do an inventory of it for you, along with the philosophy of use. It is not a surgical kit or long term trauma kit, it is designed to stop bleeding, and address common issues (splinters, dehydration, intestinal issues, bee stings, minor cuts, scrapes, diagnostic equipment, etc)

BFF Patron
10 minutes ago, Caenus said:

I don’t want to be a jerk, (nor hijack my own thread, so please pm me if you’d prefer) but can you explain this?  I’ve always wondered why people do not approach these objects? I know situation dictates, but if you saw it, did it run away/elude you?  I know some people’s philosophy is to observe, but why not move in closer? I know terrain, foliage, etc, can hinder pursuit but just curious why more people do not chase the objects in the images down?  I’m sure some don’t want to pressure them and chase them off, but in my experience, once they (BF) get a good look at you they lose interest so you may as well press the issue?

If it is a person...you can easily catch them, or they will have to turn a light on to evade, if they don’t, and get away then highly likely a squatch (which a lot of people do not want to come out and say).  I am pretty decent in the woods and someone with a thermal or night vision would be able to easily outmaneuver me. If someone is skulking around in the woods, trying to clandestinely watch me, then that is more incentive to confront them and determine their intent imo.  In a crowded campground, I wouldn’t be pointing a weapon at them, but I would (and have) caught people near camp...with no excuse, and it’s rude.  Sometimes they’ve gone out to take a leak or their evening walk went a little long and they can’t find their own camp, lol.  To me it is the same as making eye contact and making sure someone in a dark parking lot knows you see them and you are on guard. After 30 years of camping in that area I’ve had coolers full of beer disappear while on a hike (when leisure camping...no guns out those weekends), sleeping bags stolen, lanterns, etc.  Those I’ve caught at night did not come back after confronted and probably thought twice about it in the future after a polite “It’s dangerous sneaking around in the woods at night. Some people may not be so polite and it’s a good way to get shot” lecture. If I run across their camp during the day I make sure to give them a big polite acknowledgment and take note of their vehicle, and they see me do that, etc.  Most campgrounds have drunk, firearm wielding urbanites playing grizzly Adams for the weekend looking for an excuse to shoot off their guns. I make sure my camp is well illuminated early in the evening so none of those idiots decide to shoot at some beer cans in my direction. 

Back on topic, I am super excited about the potential of the thermal.  

I will gladly do an inventory of it for you, along with the philosophy of use. It is not a surgical kit or long term trauma kit, it is designed to stop bleeding, and address common issues (splinters, dehydration, intestinal issues, bee stings, minor cuts, scrapes, diagnostic equipment, etc)

You might run down a human that has intruded into your camp but an adult BF walking moves faster than you can likely run through any kind of woods.    Humans this day and age will steal anything not guarded.    And many that do are armed with something.      If you pursue you are likely to get into some sort of armed confrontation.    The problem with that is in many states you basically now have no rights of self defence outside your own home.    A video journalist reporter in Portland Oregon has been sentenced to two years in prison for menacing with a weapon when he was approached by a gang of club armed protestors and drew out his legal concealed carry weapon for fear of being beaten.     The gun was out 4 or 5 seconds before he holstered it when the protestors backed off.     He is now a convicted felon.   Basically any state that is limiting gun rights will prosecute gun owners any chance they get, even if it is in a case of self defense.  

BFF Patron

I think you in Arizona have a better chance at good BF video than we do here.     Too much cover in the PNW.    BF moving around in more open woods sure increases the opportunity for some video.    

9 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

You might run down a human that has intruded into your camp but an adult BF walking moves faster than you can likely run through any kind of woods.    

That is exactly my point. If they can evade, then it was not a human, but it increases the chance of better video, visual identification and a lesson on their abilities.

12 minutes ago, SWWASAS said:

Humans this day and age will steal anything not guarded.    And many that do are armed with something.      If you pursue you are likely to get into some sort of armed confrontation.    

Most thefts are thefts of opportunity.  Most thieves are not armed. They may have a pocket knife or some type of tool (screwdriver for example which is very useful for “thieving”) but they usually have been in contact with law enforcement in the past and know that a weapon turns into aggravated robbery which means anything they have needs to be disposable so they can “drop and kick” it away from them when contacted by law enforcement without having to explain it.  When I worked night shift at the PD, we were always on the lookout for “Bob”. Bob is a burglar on a bike. They ride around at night with a backpack full of tools looking for opportunities.  They can toss the bag over a fence when they see our cruiser and come back for it later (if we didn’t see them chuck it). If we did, then we make contact with them while we check with dispatch for any recently reported breakins. Their information is captured so if something is reported the next day (as usual), we are knocking on their door... 

Pursuing is far different than forcing a showdown. By that I mean putting them in a position that they know they have been exposed (“caught”) which may be quite literally shining a light on them. If something is around my camp at night then my purpose is to contact that thing and be prepared for what follows...otherwise, what is the point?  You give whatever it is total control of the situation.  I don’t plan on having a hard drive full of odd sounds in the woods at night, my equipment is designed to acquire indisputable proof.  

I dont want to sound like I’m out intimidating other hikers and campers which is what this can be construed as.  What I’m trying to convey is the mindset of aggressively acting on opportunities to finally get the evidence. My space is where I am.  If someone or something enters that space then I want to make sure that #1 I am aware of it and #2 that I am aware of and able to determine and respond appropriately to their intentions whether it is another person or a squatch. :) (Or if a squatch, then execute my intentions)

Since its raining today (yes in AZ) I might work on the Jeep sleeping setup or that first aid kit layout Catmandoo asked about.