Sleeping Arrangements While Sasquatching

wiiawiwb

3 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

A Springbar is a classic and time tested.  For long-term use, especially in colder climates, have you considered getting one with a stove jack?  Hot tenting changes the experience by allowing a more comfortable existence in cold weather.

They look pretty flat roofed for big snow.

You can get a smaller Montana canvas wall tent. 8x10

https://montanacanvas.com/product/montana-blend-wall-tent/

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still conflicted. The Copper Spur UL2 is exactly what I want (and what I have) BUT there is a "Platinum" version of the same tent that is ~10oz lighter.  Substantially more expensive and the tent material is so thin as to be more prone rips and tears--but it's lighter!

The pursuit of "featherweight" is a never-ending journey.  There is always a newer, lighter, or better mousetrap that keeps us rethinking the tools of our endeavors. A few ounces means nothing as I author this post but, a few miles into a backpacking trek, it becomes quite meaningful. 

So how does one resolve the conflict beween cost and function? It's as unanswerable as the question of peanut butter and jelly or cream cheese!

Of my 5 tents, I normally choose one depending on elevation in the mountains and number of kids or grandkids I am dragging along, but easily my favorite single tent is my quite old Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST.  It is a 2-person tent that I use only as a 1-person.  Its light weight, at just over 3 pounds with groundcover, poles, rain fly, and stakes, and the Jake's Corner to accomodate my height, do the trick for me. 

8 Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST tent right.jpg

13 Sierra Designs Hyperlight AST fly front.jpg

• Like 1